THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
Derek
Eddie
mo1905
7 posters

Christmas ... just around the corner !!

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 6 Empty Re: Christmas ... just around the corner !!

Post by Jan1 Wed Nov 29 2017, 11:25

I've just told Eddie that his Christmas Shopping is almost done ...
    His personal shopping elf has got quite organised this year Wink

All the best Jan
    santa rendeer santa
    Jan1
    Jan1

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 6 Empty Re: Christmas ... just around the corner !!

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 30 2017, 18:34

With Christmas just around the corner it seems many of us are buying video games, new phones etc for our loved ones for Christmas. When you look around there are even computer games for two and three year olds! I know our children and grandchildren love to play games on computers, phones, etc. It sure is a techno world now!

But the cost of these games and XBox's, Play Station Fours and the like (I'm such a techno dinosaur they may be called something else these days!) - what do you do when you have two or more kids or adults that really would like a particular game or PS4 etc.? Perhaps take out a second mortgage?

It's mind boggling !!!

Enjoy this last evening of November 2017  Smile
    I think most of us may be turning up the heating ... brrr  brrr

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 01 2017, 18:38

I bought some 2nd class stamps yesterday, ready for some Christmas Card posting - did you know that for the UK to guarantee your Christmas cards arrive at their destined UK destination by 25th December, make sure you post them by 20th December if you’re using a second class stamp.

If you’re using a first class stamp you can get away with leaving postage a day later and popping them in the post box on the 21st.

All the best Jan
    rendeer
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Dec 02 2017, 18:47

Our first Christmas card received!
    Looks good on the shelf ... I think there may soon be a few more to join it.

All the best Jan
    santa
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Dec 03 2017, 18:57

At first glance we thought it was a burglar trying to get into a neighbours house  affraid

But then we thought no it's Christmas we know what this father is doing ...

Sure enough there he was climbing up ladders, scrambling over porch and conservatory roofs putting up Christmas Lights.
    At about 4pm he lit the switch - the lights do look nice sunny

Still too early to put ours up ... maybe next weekend ! rendeer

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Dec 05 2017, 18:24

Our Christmas Cards are beginning to look nice on the shelf ...

If you'd like to read a little more about 'Christmas, the history behind our festive traditions' have a look here
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/christmas-history-behind-our-festive.html

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 6 Santa-Claus-reading-letter-close-up

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Dec 09 2017, 18:22

Don't know about you - but yes, we do have some wine put aside for Christmas and the New Year ...

I'm not much of a spirit drinker but for those who may enjoy some over the Christmas Season this article from Wheat Belly Blog may interest you.

"What Spirits Are Safe?

Spirits are a mixed bag, but you are likely to find at least several that you can enjoy without provoking health problems. Beware of flavoured varieties of vodka or rum, as they are loaded with sugar and/or high-fructose corn syrup. In general, simple unflavoured spirits are safest.
    Here’s a short list to help you navigate through your holiday cocktail parties and toasts without exposing yourself to the harmful effects of grains.

Vodkas brewed from non-grain sources, including Chopin and Trader Joe’s Monopolowa (potatoes; outside of North America you will have to ask or examine the bottle of Chopin for the source as there are also wheat and rye Chopin vodkas) and Cîroc and Trader Joe’s Versatile Spirit (grapes), are safe. Recently, many more vodkas are appearing on the market brewed from grapes, quinoa (not a grain), potatoes, and other sources, though not always nationally distributed.

Brandies and cognacs are generally safe since they are distilled from wine. Safe brands include Grand Marnier, Courvoisier, and Rémy Martin. There are exceptions, such as Martell, that add caramel coloring (a potential grain exposure.)

Gins are usually safe, brewed from juniper and other herbs. However, some gins can be brewed from grains, though grain protein levels are typically negligible and only an issue for those with severe gluten sensitivity.

Rum is distilled from sugarcane and therefore does not contain residues of grain proteins (and the sugar is fermented to alcohol and should therefore be present at low levels).

Whiskeys and bourbons are, like most beers, distilled from rye, barley, wheat, and corn and thereby potential problem sources. However, given the distillation process, whiskeys typically test below the 20-parts-per-million limit for gluten that the FDA set as the safe threshold for people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. Nonetheless, some people still seem to react to whiskeys distilled from grains. It means that many popular whiskeys— such as Jack Daniels (barley, rye, corn), Jameson (barley), and Bushmills (barley)—can potentially cause a gluten (gliadin) reaction. People without extreme sensitivities are likely safe, though, given the very low quantity of grain proteins.

Liqueurs that are safe include Kahlúa (dairy), fruit liqueurs like triple sec and Cherry Kijafa, Disaronno (amaretto-flavored), and Baileys Irish Cream (dairy). The most gluten-sensitive may need to avoid liqueurs blended with whiskey. Also, liqueurs tend to be high in sugar, so small servings are key. (Or consult the handful of recipes I have provided in the Wheat Belly Blog and Wheat Belly 30-Minute Cookbook for low-carb, no-added-sugar liqueurs you can easily make yourself.)

An occasional cocktail is fine when adhering to a grain-free lifestyle. Just remember to be careful what you choose. A poor choice can mean inadvertent re-exposure to grains/grain by-products and excessive amounts of sugar. This could cause an autoimmune condition to reignite, provoke a spike in blood sugar and thereby turn off your ability to lose weight, trigger a series of gastrointestinal issues, or regain undesired pounds. The reward for choosing wisely can be a wonderful time spent with family and friends without such problems."

All words from here
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/12/what-spirits-are-safe/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Dec 09 2017, 23:00

Brandy for the Christmas pud, plus lashings of clotted cream, ground flaxseed and blueberries. I'm gradually increasing the size of my wine collection just to be on the safe side.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 11 2017, 13:34

Clotted Cream and low carb Christmas pudding ... Yummy Smile

https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-best-low-carb-christmas-pudding.html

All the best Jan
    santa
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Dec 11 2017, 22:43

Jan1 wrote:Clotted Cream and low carb Christmas pudding ... Yummy Smile

https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-best-low-carb-christmas-pudding.html

All the best Jan
    santa

Thanks for the reminder Jan I'd forgot just how easy it is to make  Cool
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 15 2017, 18:09

Well of course you expect to see Santa's near to Christmas - don't you!!!

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 6 Santadash2

There were over 1000 Santa's of all different shapes, sizes and ages waiting to take part in the Charity Santa Dash
    Brrr it was chilly - Grandson with Mum and Dad waiting for the off !

See more about the Charity Santa Dash here
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/a-santa-dash-and-bowl-of-warming-red.html

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Dec 17 2017, 23:33

Isn't that a dole queue?

Christmas has been cancelled due to Brexit.

All the lights are on around town and on some of the houses but for some reason the days seem to be exceptionally short this year.

I'm looking forward to my walk to the top of the hill to see my longest shadow on the shortest day. After that I'm considering hibernating until February. Bah humbug!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 18 2017, 22:24

Yes, this time of year can be so dark and dismal ... only brightened up by the Christmas Lights santa

Thinking of brightness and cheery colours, I haven't yet got our Poinsettias must get them soon, they are such a great colour ...

More about them here:
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/poinsettia-its-just-not-christmas.html

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 21 2017, 13:10

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 6 WinteronbeachOA

The grandchildren were fortunate to spend time on the beach recently, they also went ice skating at one of the skating rinks that seem to pop up at this time of year.
    They had a wonderful time, and their balance on the ice was pretty good. Lots of smiles were seen Smile

Just about ready for Christmas now ... only a few more bits to get santa

Wishing all readers a wonderful Christmas time ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Dec 22 2017, 23:43

I totally missed out on seeing my longest shadow on the shortest day.

This was something my mother always used to do, walking up on the top of the park. When we moved here we used to go up the lane across the fields. OK she used to cheat a bit, she always liked to have lunch at 1pm and then go for the walk afterwards so the shadow was even longer than at midday.

This year it was so dull and foggy that I couldn't even find my shadow with a white stick. I bought some last minute supplies from the farm shop, including another stem of Brussels sprouts which could double up as a Christmas tree with the addition of some mistletoe and tinsel, and had a brief walk on one of the commons. A flock of assorted tits, a big flock of Long Tails, and some Robins, Blackbirds and Sparrows. I heard a couple of Redpolls fly over but they were invisible. Half a chicken breast roasted wrapped in bacon with sprouts and a stir fry of oyster mushrooms, multicoloured peppers chillies and garlic and early to bed.

Season's Greetings!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 26 2018, 21:41

Can you believe it !!!

Only 89 days to go until Christmas santa

I did buy a pack of Charity Christmas cards the other day …

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 13 2018, 21:42

Countdown to Christmas …

Only 41 days to go santa  rendeer santa

I have bought some cards, and thought I'd get some second class stamps.

I bought one book of 12 at a cost of £6-96 !
    Postage isn't cheap, but I know many friends and relatives appreciate receiving a card and perhaps a written note inside with some festive news ... for some reason the grand-children always get a mention when I write a note or letter  Smile

I'm sure I will need more than one book - but at least it's a start.

I think they look nice, you can see them here
    https://www.postofficeshop.co.uk/postage-stamps/royal-mail/12-x-2nd-class-stamp-christmas-book-ub420/?msclkid=c830aee437e51d007deef50f74f5d3bd&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Collectibles_Royal_Mail&utm_term=4583863979755030&utm_content=CL3_Christmas_Stamps_2018

All the best Jan

(Some of these links to web-sites are so long …)
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Nov 14 2018, 23:34

I bought some Christmas cards too, usually I print my own but these are from the Suffolk Wildlife Trust so worth the money.

Christmas lights are on in town now.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 16 2018, 11:05

I do enjoy seeing the Christmas Lights around town and some of the shop windows are looking very festive.

I was with the grandchildren yesterday helping them make Christmas Cards santa  I think they are more artistic than me Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Nov 16 2018, 23:13

We only just got rid of the scarecrows. We have an annual scarecrow festival where all the shops put one out. This year there was a tick list for mothers to take their kids round over half term. First time ever I can remember the car parks all being full, it was a bit like being back in Surrey. I ended up parking down the road and walking in through the park.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Nov 17 2018, 11:15

chris c wrote:We only just got rid of the scarecrows. We have an annual scarecrow festival where all the shops put one out. This year there was a tick list for mothers to take their kids round over half term. First time ever I can remember the car parks all being full, it was a bit like being back in Surrey. I ended up parking down the road and walking in through the park.

I think the scarecrow festivals can be such fun …
    Quite a good idea for the shops to get together and get the kids to do the 'tick list', I know many children enjoy that sort of thing and hopefully it helps the shops as people are encouraged to spend a little (or lot) of money.

We have a lot of Christmas Craft Fayres around the local area over this weekend, I think they are quite popular and certainly gets people into the Christmas Spirit … well that's the plan Smile

It's only 37 days to go until Christmas  santa

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Nov 18 2018, 23:24

Actually some of the shops were disappointed, I wasn't the only one who couldn't get into the car parks to spend my money. But yes these things are good, we usually have a street fair in summer and a day about now when the shops open on Sunday and give out mince pies and the like
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 23 2018, 19:33

In town earlier today, and the shops were looking so festive.
    The Town Council have cancelled all car parking charges over the weekend trying to attract more shoppers … could be a good idea.
    Of course a dry weather weekend could also help …

I stayed away from Black Friday shopping both in shops and online, but I think the cash registers were making a merry noise!

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Nov 25 2018, 21:28

Got the Parish Councils circular giving the details of the Christmas lights switch on and entertainment including a free glass of mulled wine, a mince pie and a slice of pizza  Shocked next Saturday might go and have look depending on the weather
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Nov 26 2018, 22:49

I must check to see when ours is.

We've always had free parking up until a few years back when the council introduced charges. There was a near riot from the local shopkeepers and now we get the first hour free which is good. There are a couple of pay car parks as well, I think it's 60p an hour but the locals only use them when they have to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 02:52