THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Indy51
Jan1
mo1905
Eddie
AliB
9 posters

Oh. My. Word......potato, potato, potato.....

AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Oh. My. Word......potato, potato, potato..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh. My. Word......potato, potato, potato.....

Post by AliB Sun Mar 15 2015, 11:57

BTW, since increasing my metabolic rate and body temperature with the added potato, my gastroparesis has improved too. Digestion seems to be working much faster.

Yup. Asked for B12 & folate to be done a few months back Paul. All normal....
    AliB
    AliB

Oh. My. Word......potato, potato, potato..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh. My. Word......potato, potato, potato.....

Post by AliB Sun Mar 15 2015, 12:00

It IS all linked to deficiency Paul.  Whatever the problem.....
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 16:28

AliB wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:Ali I have a few ideas that may help you, but I don't want to get off on the wrong foot, may I ask a few questions. 1. Was you diagnosed as a type two diabetic ? has that changed i.e you was misdiagnosed ? 2 Are you over weight, if so by how much ? 3 Have you ever had a plasma insulin level test ? 4 Have you ever had a R and R interval test ? 5 Do you have regular thyroid checks ? Have you ever tried a Keto diet say less that 30 carbs and a reduced calorie say around 1300 for a couple of months or so at the same time ?

Hope you don't mind me asking, talk again soon.

1.  I was diagnosed at age 40 as type 2 (but my mum was type 1 and Dad late onset type 2

2.  I might well have been misdiagnosed, or went on to develop type 1 - with insulin resistance.

3.  Never had a plasma insulin test.  After the Byetta fiasco when I realised I may not have been producing much insulin I did ask the 'speshlist', but he said there was no test.  But then he was an eejit.

4.  Dunno what an interval R & R test is, apart from rock n roll.....

5.  I had one thyroid test done a few years back but it came back normal.  The doc did say that I could have subclinical thyroid insufficiency, although I have no real obvious symptoms of that.  Cold extremities quite often, but not all the time, and only when I haven't eaten enough food to stoke the fire.... :0). Even if my thyroid was low, I would rather deal with it dietarily rather than take more drugs.

6.  Yes I have done sub-30 gms carbs keto.  Even virtually zero (apart from broccoli) when I was on Bee's Healing diet for 3 years.  You name it, I've probably done it.  Tried lowering fats, tried lowering calories, tried standing on my head.....

The diet did heal my digestion.  It works a darn sight better now than it did when I started and virtually everything I ate was going straight through me.  But the insulin resistance worsened, I gained well over 30lbs and didn't lose it in over 3 years on the diet (nor since apart from the few lbs lost whilst fasting), my hair never stopped falling out, and my energy never came back.  Oh and I was constipated something awful (which now seems to have resolved beautifully on potatoes....  Laughing)

Many people do recover their health on her diet, even some with mild insulin resistance, but not me.  Karen, who I became very pally with on there, and who was one of her moderators actually ended up becoming insulin resistant on her diet although she wasn't before.  She is relatively slim and only did the diet because of poor digestion and Candida, but although her digestion and the Candida issue improved, she ended up with IR!

Whether people's IR improves or worsens on LCHF must have something to do with what has triggered their diabetes and what is gong on in their body. There very obviously is not a 'one size fits all'.....

The potato addition does have a link to the resistant starch thing that is getting a bit of publicity lately, so maybe its not that far fetched after all....

OK Ali sorry if the sounds like the Spanish Inquisition but here goes.

You said "I might well have been misdiagnosed, or went on to develop type 1 - with insulin resistance." This indicates to me you don't know whether you are type 1 or 2. I should have asked earlier have you had a GAD Antibody test. I am presuming no, otherwise you would know if you are type 1 or 2. The test is performed to help determine which type of diabetes someone has. The test is particularly useful for adults over 30 who get diabetes where a type 2 diabetes diagnosis is in doubt.

A plasma insulin test while not injecting insulin would determine how much insulin you are making, if a type two is making adequate insulin and on low carb diet, and still not getting to good BG numbers high insulin resistance is usually the cause. A type two and over weight at diagnosis can have a plasma insulin level up to 3 times higher than a slim non diabetic. Clearly more injected insulin will get them nowhere, it will make matters worse. You have said you believe you are insulin resistant and eating carby food, you also said you gained 30 lbs and you try to keep injected insulin down to 50 units a day.

Imagine this situation, a type two who is making a good amount of their own insulin (which many are) but highly insulin resistant, they shoot more insulin, they become more insulin resistant and pile on the weight, a vicious circle. The bottom line for you is, you must find out whether you are type 1 or 2. A GAD test should sort that out.

Don't worry about never hearing about an R and R test, I have never known a UK HCP who has even heard of it. Unsurprisingly this is one of the first tests Dr. Bernstein carries out on all new diabetic patients. The R-R interval study is a simple, affordable test of the vagus nerve, and it should be part of your initial diabetes physical examination. It is performed like an ordinary ECG, but with only 4 leads. The R-R Study tests the variation in your heart rate between inhaling and exhaling. It is a good indicator of blood sugar complications, especially Gastroparesis, and more importantly, it shows improvement after aggressive blood sugar control. It is usually performed on all new patients (Bernstein's) and later after 12-18 months. Gastroparesis if present can make BG control very difficult and throw up very erratic numbers. Maybe worth thinking about.

The bottom line here is you must find out if you are a type on or two. Eating starchy carbs and shooting up insulin is not doing you any favours, whether type one or two. Push for an R and R test to see if any long term damage has occurred and act accordingly. If your medics can't do it, insist on seeing an Endo. Don't take no for answer. An Endo can also organise a GAD test. Also, get another Thyroid test done.

It sounds to me you have been badly let down by your medics. For two years after diagnosis I used to have over 40 separate blood tests done every three months. I stopped the tests as my diabetes had completely stabilised, and seemed to be a waste of valuable NHS resources to me. I was very lucky maybe, but I believe I got what I wanted because my team could see I was making every effort to get good control. Without being cocky, they realised I had made studying type two diabetes a full time job, and we worked as a team of equals, as far as diabetes is concerned.

I truly believe your diabetes situation can be sorted, it won't be easy, but keep posting and let's keep talking. I know its been tough for you, but I like to think we are a team here on this forum. I appreciate my writing is not always clear, but keep asking questions. I may not know the answers, but I am lucky having friends like Franziska and Dr Jay and they usually have the answers.

Ali, we have been friends for a long time, chin up. If we can't work hard to help you, we might as well shut the joint. One last thing, keep away from wacko's on the Internet LOL
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Sun Mar 15 2015, 20:28

The thing is Eddie, eating the carbs - the potatoes and some flapjack - is not making me have to inject any more insulin and my FBG is going down.

Absolutely the Medical Profession has let me down both with the diabetes and the worms. I really just don't want anything to do with them any more. When people like Dr. Fung are curing diabetes all doctors here want to do is control you and give you endless tests just to justify their funding.

For the last 7 years I have been rebuilding my own health. Everything running straight through me and being told there is 'nothing wrong. They let me down with that too. What's the point? I just can't be bothered with them. The fact I can now eat most things without any digestive stress or issues is totally my own doing without any help from them thank you very much.

The thing is, if I am type 1 I would need to inject anyway. I know insulin resistance is an issue. My blood sugar wouldn't get low enough last week on low carb, yet is now getting lower on higher carb. There has to be a reason for that.

I have two scenarios. Type 1 or type 2. If I can reverse the insulin resistance it doesn't matter which one I am. Reversing the IR would either cure the type 2 or mean injected insulin would finally work properly in type 1. The Medical Profession, if they could be bothered to give me the tests, would only tell me which one I have. They wouldn't actually be able to do anything more than what they are already providing. Insulin and test strips.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 21:02

No disrespect Ali, I know you are a well read Woman. But if at this stage you don't know whether you are a type one or two, you have no chance of getting on top of your diabetes. You have no faith in your medics, dump them and go elsewhere, only Doctors can order the tests you clearly need. Without the proven data, we can never make the right decisions, you do not have the necessary data.

If you want to take this conversation off the forum, mail me at lowcarbdiabetic@aol.com

Kind regards Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Mar 15 2015, 21:19

Ali, I have no issue with your potato diet but I do think you deserve proper diagnosis. Get a GAD test :-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Mar 15 2015, 22:19

mo1905 wrote:Ali, I have no issue with your potato diet but I do think you deserve proper diagnosis. Get a GAD test :-)

+100 I'm bloody glad I managed to get one-You need to know either way Ali! Cool
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Sun Mar 15 2015, 22:48

Why? What difference would it make?

Type 1 = insulin & test strips. Type 2 with IR = insulin & test strips.

Now, if the NHS gave every type 1 a house in the Bahamas, it might be worth finding out.....

No. i'm not stupid. I just don't see any advantage in it, whether I 'deserve' it or not. It would just be a hook back in to the control machine. The endless blood tests, the agonising blood pressure cuffs, the constant fiddling and meddling.

Sorry. I jumped ship on that one. Won't be sorry if I never see another doctor again. Had a gutful of medical 'expertise' to last a lifetime. Did I mention their neglect killed my mother and father? And that my husband is locked into a cycle of misery due to the cocktail of damn drugs that he has been brainwashed into taking, because if he doesn't he will 'drop dead'. Yeah, right. So when he eventually does, it won't be anything to do with the toxic drugs or the rat poison, no sir'ee.....

I no longer buy into the 'Medical Model'. Doctors are not healers, they are symptom managers.

I appreciate your concern lads, but I would rather be my own physician. The other ones do not have my best interests at heart and have only ever made things worse for me. Their loyalties lie in a very different area. I wouldn't trust them any further than I can throw them.....
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Sun Mar 15 2015, 23:30

Came across this on resistant starch. I seem to be getting a similar benefit from the potato itself. The comments are worth reading....

http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/resistant-experiment-continuous.html
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:01

Sorry, but I swore to myself I would never visit that blog again because the guy (and most of his commentators) is such a misogynist. And it's pointless for me anyway - all potato starch does for me is give me joint pain and reawaken my SIBO. We already have quite a long thread about resistant starch. Again, if it works for you, great.

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:08

Indy51 wrote:Sorry, but I swore to myself I would never visit that blog again because the guy (and most of his commentators) is such a misogynist. And it's pointless for me anyway - all potato starch does for me is give me joint pain and reawaken my SIBO. We already have quite a long thread about resistant starch. Again, if it works for you, great.

The Free The Animal blog, arguably the nastiest crap hole on the face of the earth. This is a guy that said a child of sixteen who was gang raped deserved all she got FACT. RN is a head case and is only interested in making money and self aggrandisement, to be avoided at all costs. As Indy said, he hates Women and is the most foul mouthed person I have ever come across.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:13

Yeah,I looked at the FTA blog a few times and it aint a place I'd feel welcome to comment let alone learn anything useful-reminds me of the carbsane blog but with more swear words and ad hominem attacks!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:25

Paul wrote:Yeah,I looked at the FTA blog a few times and it aint a place I'd feel welcome to comment let alone learn anything useful-reminds me of the carbsane blog but with more swear words and ad hominem attacks!  

If we have to resort to calling Women the c word, to get people to read the forum, I'm out of here. Jeez, what's wrong with some people.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Post by Indy51 Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:28

I think RN's liver was already compromised, so lord only knows what all the raw potato starch he's imbibed has done to it Wink
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:29

Ali said "I appreciate your concern lads, but I would rather be my own physician"

I luv ya Ali, but where has that got you?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:31

AliB wrote:Why?  What difference would it make?

Type 1 = insulin & test strips.  Type 2 with IR = insulin & test strips.

Now, if the NHS gave every type 1 a house in the Bahamas, it might be worth finding out.....

No. i'm not stupid. I just don't see any advantage in it, whether I 'deserve' it or not.  It would just be a hook back in to the control machine.  The endless blood tests, the agonising blood pressure cuffs, the constant fiddling and meddling.

Sorry.  I jumped ship on that one.  Won't be sorry if I never see another doctor again.  Had a gutful of medical 'expertise' to last a lifetime.  Did I mention their neglect killed my mother and father?  And that my husband is locked into a cycle of misery due to the cocktail of damn drugs that he has been brainwashed into taking, because if he doesn't he will 'drop dead'.  Yeah, right.  So when he eventually does, it won't be anything to do with the toxic drugs or the rat poison, no sir'ee.....

I no longer buy into the 'Medical Model'.  Doctors are not healers, they are symptom managers.

I appreciate your concern lads, but I would rather be my own physician.  The other ones do not have my best interests at heart and have only ever made things worse for me.  Their loyalties lie in a very different area.  I wouldn't trust them any further than I can throw them.....

Ali - I am sorry you have not had good experiences with the medical profession ...... and forgive me, a non diabetic butting in, but I do think that if you had a definite diagnosis it could help you in your quest.

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:33

Indy51 wrote:I think RN's liver was already compromised, so lord only knows what all the raw potato starch he's imbibed has done to it Wink

The guy is batshit. Have you seen the recent photographs he has published of himself? Jeez he looks like a dead man walking, around 15 years younger than me and looks on the way out.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Post by Indy51 Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:53

eddie1 wrote:
    Indy51 wrote:I think RN's liver was already compromised, so lord only knows what all the raw potato starch he's imbibed has done to it Wink

The guy is batshit. Have you seen the recent photographs he has published of himself? Jeez he looks like a dead man walking, around 15 years younger than me and looks on the way out.
    Haven't seen the photo - I don't go anywhere near anything RN related, especially not to his blog etc. Last time I read anything about him was when Wooo was saying he's completely lost it thinking diet alone will cure his thyroid issue and that he should be taking his hormones.

Ali, I took a quick look at the older resistant starch thread started by OldTech and you were experimenting with resistant starch and legumes then. Now it's potatoes. Sorry to have to be so blunt, but one food is not going to be a magic bullet for a medical problem as complex as yours appears to be. And swapping and changing protocols every few weeks doesn't seem like the wisest way of experimenting either.

If the basis of most of your issues does turn out to be subclinical hypothyroid, not taking thyroid hormone when it is what your body needs is self-sabotage, IMO.
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Mon Mar 16 2015, 01:01

eddie1 wrote:Ali said "I appreciate your concern lads, but I would rather be my own physician"

I luv ya Ali, but where has that got you?

Well, I haven't cured the diabetes (yet) but I got rid of the blood pressure issues (and the toxic drug that was supposedly 'treating' it), the years of IBS, raging restless legs, neuropathy, awful digestion, huge bloating and gas, palpitations, night sweats, hot flushes, gastric reflux, rampant fungus, and my dentist just smiles sweetly and says 'next!'.

Not much I know, but hey, every little helps.....
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Mar 16 2015, 01:02

Jeez Ali, my last words to you was "One last thing, keep away from wacko's on the Internet LOL" and you come back talking about RN and The Free The Animal blog. Give it to me straight, you're winding me up, yes.
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Mon Mar 16 2015, 01:15

Indy51 wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

Ali, I took a quick look at the older resistant starch thread started by OldTech and you were experimenting with resistant starch and legumes then. Now it's potatoes. Sorry to have to be so blunt, but one food is not going to be a magic bullet for a medical problem as complex as yours appears to be. And swapping and changing protocols every few weeks doesn't seem like the wisest way of experimenting either.

If the basis of most of your issues does turn out to be subclinical hypothyroid, not taking thyroid hormone when it is what your body needs is self-sabotage, IMO.

Wish I hadn't posted the link to that forum now.  I was only interested in the article and comments.  Knew nothing of the blog owner...

Anyway.  Yes Indy I did take some RS and beans but didn't seem to get the effect I am getting now with the taters.  Haven't a clue why.  I haven't stopped the beans altogether.

Yes, I do chop and change somewhat, but I'm not getting any younger.  I spent 7.5 years low carb, and yes it has helped resolve some issues, but others are still elusive.  

Interestingly it seems that sweet potato is used in some areas, like Japan for instance, to treat diabetes.

At the end of the day, some get results on greens n beans, some get results on raw food, some get results on IF, some get results on LCHF.  I am still trying to find my 'fit'.......if there is one.......
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Mon Mar 16 2015, 01:23

I am not a seasoned forum-hopper Eddie. Can't be bothered. Don't know these people, don't particularly want to know them. I was merely searching for links between potato and diabetes....

Seems I alighted on the blog equivalent of entering 'bird-watching' into a search engine.....
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Mar 16 2015, 01:29

Good night Ali, sleep tight. Tomorrow is another day.

Eddie x
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Post by horfilmania Mon Mar 16 2015, 04:34

I haven't read this entire thread but recognized some key words. RN has gone bonkers and I haven't glanced at his blog in over a year.

I'm Ukrainian and was weaned on potatoes. The Ukrainian Traditional Cookbook could be titled "1001 ways to prepare potatoes." My mother made potato pie, potato dumplings, potato casserole, potato cabbage rolls, and then all the potato and buckwheat pies, dumplings, casseroles and cabbage rolls, diced potato and milk, diced potato and borscht, diced potato and sauerkraut soup, well you get the drift. No meal was complete without potatoes in some form. If I can give up potato, anyone can.

When I went low-carb I had to give up potatoes because they offer very little nutrients that can be found in other places in greater quantity without spiking my blood sugar. And potato isn't just detrimental to diabetics, it's detrimental to people who are also carbohydrate sensitive and insulin resistant which just makes them all fat.

However, whenever you eat potato all you have to do is check your numbers. Simple.

However, thyroid issues are another matter. I would get all the complete tests first as TSH by itself says very little. Once it's confirmed then taking some form of medication may be in order. I can't say that potatoes would help because they contribute more to metabolic syndrome than not.

I also don't trust doctors and stopped seeing them decades ago. I do have a formal family physician that I picked up last year because I needed his name on a form. Told him I needed a family physician who didn't think he was God. That convinced him to offer himself up as my physician. I told him I took my health very seriously, was pro-active with it and that if he wanted to be my physician he needed to treat me as an equal partner in my care. I haven't had to see him since lol. Very Happy
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Mon Mar 16 2015, 14:11

I'm sure this one might end up being ridiculed too, but there is a lot in there that makes sense to me.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glucose-sucrose-diabetes.shtml

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 01:23