THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Insulin resistance change?

sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Insulin resistance change? Empty Insulin resistance change?

Post by sanguine Fri Feb 13 2015, 13:44

My average pre-dinner readings are steady in the low 5s (mmol/l), and my average fasting readings are steady in the mid 5s at the moment and have been slowly but steadily dropping over the months. Until two weeks ago my dinner +2 hour readings represented an increase of between 1 and 1.5 mmol/l with the occasional 2. Suddenly and without any significant change in meals the post-dinner increase has dropped to 0.5 or less and has now been like that for 2 weeks. The only other change I can think of is a return to daily (sort of) 10 minute sessions on the rowing machine to add to half an hour or so of walking.

It doesn't seem to be an instrument glitch as all other readings are as expected. I've stabilised my weight at around 70 kg having lost 20 kg, but that has been the case for 2-3 months.

Is this some kind of step change in insulin resistance? Any other thoughts?

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Insulin resistance change? Empty Re: Insulin resistance change?

Post by Eddie Fri Feb 13 2015, 18:47

sanguine wrote:My average pre-dinner readings are steady in the low 5s (mmol/l), and my average fasting readings are steady in the mid 5s at the moment and have been slowly but steadily dropping over the months.  Until two weeks ago my dinner +2 hour readings represented an increase of between 1 and  1.5 mmol/l with the occasional 2.  Suddenly and without any significant change in meals the post-dinner increase has dropped to 0.5 or less and has now been like that for 2 weeks.  The only other change I can think of is a return to daily (sort of) 10 minute sessions on the rowing machine to add to half an hour or so of walking.

It doesn't seem to be an instrument glitch as all other readings are as expected.  I've stabilised my weight at around 70 kg having lost 20 kg, but that has been the case for 2-3 months.

Is this some kind of step change in insulin resistance?  Any other thoughts?

Rod when I was diagnosed I spent a lot of time testing, on myself and non diabetics, I paid for most of the test strips. What I found with myself fluctuations appear with diabetics and non diabetics alike for no reason I could ever work out. Also I contacted Roche re the accuracy of their BG meters and they said if my meters (Accu-chek)  were plus or minus one full point on low BG numbers that was the best I could hope for.

These days I only check one day a week around six tests, just to check my pancreas has not given up the ghost, and my self discipline and lifestyle is holding up. I would knock them off my repeat prescriptions (I get 50 per month) but fear the day may come I might need them more, and not be able to afford to pay for them, and cannot get them on the NHS.

Welcome to the crazy world of diabetes.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Feb 13 2015, 18:59

Fairly moderate exercise can have lasting effects Rod. Your BG levels prior to this were very good and the introduction of exercise seems to have improved this further. Nice one !
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Fri Feb 13 2015, 19:08

Eddie the fluctuations (well change) are just for that one element, the 2 hours after starting dinner. I've had oddities which as you say can be put down to the inaccuracy of the meter or a dodgy batch of strips, but this doesn't seem to be one of those.

Mo, I went through a phase on the rowing machine before, and didn't see quite the same effect. But who knows what might have evolved since.

Yes, funny game.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Feb 13 2015, 19:09

Nobody can ever say diabetes is boring !
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Feb 13 2015, 19:16

Without wanting to take away from the importance of good BG control, it can become excessive in my opinion. Don't let it take over your life. Life is for living, not turning yourself in to a science experiment.

I hold good numbers, I could do better, but there is more to life than holding optimal BG numbers 24 hours every day.

Standing by for a good kicking. affraid
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Fri Feb 13 2015, 19:22

I'm just a nerd Eddie, I like data and graphs - and I'm still a newbie really. My next bloods are next month and I want to press my DN into furthering her offer/interest in publicising my results within the practice - ideally I would be happy to put a presentation together and go and speak to them. Even if they open their minds to LCHF a little, that would be a plus.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Feb 13 2015, 19:31

I'm 65 years of age Rod, if I was younger man with young kids, I would be trying for the ultimate I could get. On 50 carbs per day and a loafers lifestyle I have never had an HbA1c higher than 6.1 other than diagnosis. Almost all BG number fasting under six. As I said, if I was young I would be going for HbA1c under five.

It seems to me the hardest thing in life is to find a balance, but hey what do I know.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Feb 13 2015, 20:03

sanguine wrote:I'm just a nerd Eddie, I like data and graphs - and I'm still a newbie really.  My next bloods are next month and I want to press my DN into furthering her offer/interest in publicising my results within the practice - ideally I would be happy to put a presentation together and go and speak to them.  Even if they open their minds to LCHF a little, that would be a plus.

It would be amazing if your practice will publish your results and allow you to speak ..... not always the case ! Do please let us know if they take this on board.

Meanwhile onwards and upwards - spreading the good news that is LCHF  sunny

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Feb 13 2015, 21:49

sanguine wrote:My average pre-dinner readings are steady in the low 5s (mmol/l), and my average fasting readings are steady in the mid 5s at the moment and have been slowly but steadily dropping over the months.  Until two weeks ago my dinner +2 hour readings represented an increase of between 1 and  1.5 mmol/l with the occasional 2.  Suddenly and without any significant change in meals the post-dinner increase has dropped to 0.5 or less and has now been like that for 2 weeks.  The only other change I can think of is a return to daily (sort of) 10 minute sessions on the rowing machine to add to half an hour or so of walking.

It doesn't seem to be an instrument glitch as all other readings are as expected.  I've stabilised my weight at around 70 kg having lost 20 kg, but that has been the case for 2-3 months.

Is this some kind of step change in insulin resistance?  Any other thoughts?

It is a bit strange seeing a sudden drop like that Rod that's more what you would expect from the intial change over to LC after following a higher carb diet, you could try knocking the 10 minutes on the rowing machine off to find out if that is the reason, though I'd stick with what your doing as it's obviously working for you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 09:20