THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Insulin sensitivity. Worth changing insulin, or not?

AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Insulin sensitivity.  Worth changing insulin, or not? Empty Insulin sensitivity. Worth changing insulin, or not?

Post by AliB Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:21

So, the rub is, my insulin sensitivity has gone to pot.

Unless I eat nothing but green veg, I struggle to keep my BG in single figures.

I've been using Porcine Hypurin 30/70 for the last 8 or 9 years, changed from the Humulin I was put on originally as I don't like the idea of synthetic mixes (or the way NovoNordisk operates...), but gradually I seem to be getting less and less sensitive.

I try not to have more than 40 units per day if possible. More insulin just means more weight gain, and I have a big enough problem with that as it is.

I keep toying with the idea of either a Reboot (Joe Cross) or Cura Romana to see if I can clear out whatever is blocking the uptake, but keep dithering between the two, unable to decide which would work best.

It's almost as if my body is telling me it doesn't want the insulin.

Do different insulins work differently in the body. Have you found a dufference between them?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Insulin sensitivity.  Worth changing insulin, or not? Empty Re: Insulin sensitivity. Worth changing insulin, or not?

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 20 2014, 17:01

AliB wrote:So, the rub is, my insulin sensitivity has gone to pot.

Unless I eat nothing but green veg, I struggle to keep my BG in single figures.

I've been using Porcine Hypurin 30/70 for the last 8 or 9 years, changed from the Humulin I was put on originally as I don't like the idea of synthetic mixes (or the way NovoNordisk operates...), but gradually I seem to be getting less and less sensitive.

I try not to have more than 40 units per day if possible.  More insulin just means more weight gain, and I have a big enough problem with that as it is.

I keep toying with the idea of either a Reboot (Joe Cross) or Cura Romana to see if I can clear out whatever is blocking the uptake, but keep dithering between the two, unable to decide which would work best.

It's almost as if my body is telling me it doesn't want the insulin.

Do different insulins work differently in the body.  Have you found a dufference between them?

Hi Ali - I've bumped your post up ..... hopefully an insulin user will be along later ..... sunny

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Insulin sensitivity.  Worth changing insulin, or not? Empty Re: Insulin sensitivity. Worth changing insulin, or not?

Post by mo1905 Mon Oct 20 2014, 17:48

Ali, I'm unsure of any other meds you may be on but the consultants at Addenbrookes Hospital have started prescribing Metformin for insulin users who may experience some insulin resistance. I take 1 tablet a day myself which helps to keep my ratio's down. Perhaps discuss with your doc ?
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Mon Oct 20 2014, 19:08

I'm not on any other meds.  After going gluten-free my BP dropped like a stone so I binned the toxic Valsartan.  I also stopped Metformin because it didn't actually appear to be doing anything, probably because I appear to produce little or no insulin myself.

I was able to get my insulin use down to between 10-20 units per day at one point, but gradually it has crept up.

If I was very, very strict and ate no carbs other than those in green veg, I might get away with it, but virtually any other carb sends my BG soaring.  

It's annoying, and very frustrating.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Tue Oct 21 2014, 00:21

Ali, I found this link a while back - it ranks supplements that assist with insulin sensitivity based on strength of studies, etc. Might be worthwhile trying some of them, if you haven't already:

http://examine.com/topics/Insulin+Sensitivity/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 09:58