THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Paul1976
Eddie
6 posters

Don’t blame the type one diabetics blame the media.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Don’t blame the type one diabetics blame the media. Empty Don’t blame the type one diabetics blame the media.

Post by Eddie Mon Feb 09 2015, 14:22

Check out a lot of diabetes forums and there is often conflict between type one and type two diabetics. Check out a newspaper article and type two’s are usually portrayed as morbidly obese layabouts scoffing pies all day long. If the article is running a comments from the public section, it’s not long before type one’s come steaming in with “don’t confuse me with those fat gits” type of stuff, or words to that effect. I can see their point to some extent, we know becoming a type one has nothing to do with race, creed, lifestyle etc. It’s just fate playing a mean hand.

When you think about it, being a type one is a much tougher gig. Type two’s are usually only fighting to keep BG down, type one’s are having to keep BG up as well. Finding that balance of keeping BG in the safe zone is difficult to achieve, made far more difficult by the carb up and shoot up advice most are given. That being said, almost all the best controlled diabetics I know are type one’s. So, if you really want to know how to run non diabetic numbers, follow a  type one with great control. It was type one diabetics who put me straight, Dr. Bernstein, Fergus Craig and do any of you old timers remember Timo? This them and us situation is a classic divide and conquer tactic, to confuse people, and as we know, there are many who are making a fortune from confusing and misinforming people.

Human beings are masters at turning a simple solution into mind boggling complexity. My oldman used to say “bullshit baffles brains” and in the world of diabetes, the bullshit is piled so high, you need breathing apparatus at times.  Controlling diabetes can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it, why are so many hell bent on making it complicated?

All diabetics must work together, all human beings must work together, work is the main word here, sitting on your butt moaning ain’t going to get anyone anywhere. Spread the low carb message at every opportunity, use just ten minutes a day, more if you can spare the time, and post on forums and blogs. Tell people about your good news. Don’t ever fall for the “it’s only anecdotal”  cop out, we hear from so many professional naysaying medical professionals. It was mostly ordinary diabetics that put me straight, and I am willing to bet, they put you straight as well. Am I right, or am I right.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Don’t blame the type one diabetics blame the media. Empty Re: Don’t blame the type one diabetics blame the media.

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 14:30

Eddie you're right! Smile

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Don’t blame the type one diabetics blame the media. Empty Re: Don’t blame the type one diabetics blame the media.

Post by Paul1976 Mon Feb 09 2015, 14:37

Great post Eddie and spot on! clap
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 15:14

I totally agree that it's the fault of the media, but then you could also say it's the fault of those who believe the media too. As a type 2, I also have a battle against insulin resistance and I find it very hard to lose weight. For me the battle with BG's is the easy part.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Feb 09 2015, 15:38

zand wrote:I totally agree that it's the fault of the media, but then you could also say it's the fault of those who believe the media too.    As a type 2, I also have a battle against insulin resistance and I find it very hard to lose weight.  For me the battle with BG's is the easy part.

I reckon we have all been fooled by the media. I swallowed the low fat diet BS hook line and sinker for at least twenty years. Sad
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 15:43

eddie1 wrote:
    zand wrote:I totally agree that it's the fault of the media, but then you could also say it's the fault of those who believe the media too.    As a type 2, I also have a battle against insulin resistance and I find it very hard to lose weight.  For me the battle with BG's is the easy part.

I reckon we have all been fooled by the media. I swallowed the low fat diet BS hook line and sinker for at least twenty years. Sad

Yes me too. That's why I'm diabetic and fat!

What I really would have liked all those years ago would have been for someone to tell me that I would never look like the women in the magazines no matter what I did and that I looked OK as I was.

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Feb 09 2015, 16:05

zand wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

Yes me too.  That's why I'm diabetic and fat!

What I really would have liked all those years ago would have been for someone to tell me that I would never look like the women in the magazines no matter what I did and that I looked OK as I was.  

I'll let you know a secret, most of the women in the magazines, don't look like the women in the magazines. Years ago one of my first pro photography jobs was working in a studio. Women would come in and have a huge amount of work done by make up artistes and top notch hair dressers. I would then photograph these women. With very special lighting, soft focus filters and very cleverly worked out poses. Sometimes they would come in to the office with no make up, hair all over the place and tee shirt and jeens. Often they would say hi Eddie how are you, I would smile back and say great how are you, I hid the fact I did not recognise them. Add some clever photoshop work and their own family would not recognise some of them I reckon. Hell of a lot of fantasy out there. But that is all it is, fantasy. If only all women and a lot of men realised that.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 16:15

Yes I learnt that lesson way too late, but I don't suppose I would have listened if you had told me that all those years ago. Rolling Eyes
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Feb 09 2015, 16:29

zand wrote:Yes I learnt that lesson way too late, but I don't suppose I would have listened if you had told me that all those years ago.  Rolling Eyes

You would have if I had told you, persuading people is what I do, hopefully for their benefit. Writing on forums and blogs is a very poor way to communicate, give me one on one face to face situation, and I am reasonably good at that. I love people watching and listening to others, they tell you their complete life story, and most never know it. So often we here "we are all different" take out the psychopaths and warped, and we are all the same. The same fears, the same wants, the same weaknesses and insecurities. Some are just better at hiding these things.

Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Mon Feb 09 2015, 18:59

zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:05

Andy??? Wow!!! You're speaking French???

Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:07

oui
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:09

lol
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:16

Andy12345 wrote:oui

Sorry instead of saying lol....I should have said mdr (that's French!) Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:18

eddie1 wrote:Check out a lot of diabetes forums and there is often conflict between type one and type two diabetics. Check out a newspaper article and type two’s are usually portrayed as morbidly obese layabouts scoffing pies all day long. If the article is running a comments from the public section, it’s not long before type one’s come steaming in with “don’t confuse me with those fat gits” type of stuff, or words to that effect. I can see their point to some extent, we know becoming a type one has nothing to do with race, creed, lifestyle etc. It’s just fate playing a mean hand.

When you think about it, being a type one is a much tougher gig. Type two’s are usually only fighting to keep BG down, type one’s are having to keep BG up as well. Finding that balance of keeping BG in the safe zone is difficult to achieve, made far more difficult by the carb up and shoot up advice most are given. That being said, almost all the best controlled diabetics I know are type one’s. So, if you really want to know how to run non diabetic numbers, follow a  type one with great control. It was type one diabetics who put me straight, Dr. Bernstein, Fergus Craig and do any of you old timers remember Timo? This them and us situation is a classic divide and conquer tactic, to confuse people, and as we know, there are many who are making a fortune from confusing and misinforming people.

Human beings are masters at turning a simple solution into mind boggling complexity. My oldman used to say “bullshit baffles brains” and in the world of diabetes, the bullshit is piled so high, you need breathing apparatus at times.  Controlling diabetes can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it, why are so many hell bent on making it complicated?

All diabetics must work together, all human beings must work together, work is the main word here, sitting on your butt moaning ain’t going to get anyone anywhere. Spread the low carb message at every opportunity, use just ten minutes a day, more if you can spare the time, and post on forums and blogs. Tell people about your good news. Don’t ever fall for the “it’s only anecdotal”  cop out, we hear from so many professional naysaying medical professionals. It was mostly ordinary diabetics that put me straight, and I am willing to bet, they put you straight as well. Am I right, or am I right.

Great post Eddie and pretty much sums up why we spend so much time on these forums ! 99% of my diabetes knowledge has come from forums so I think it's only fair to give some back ! It doesn't take much and most of our results are invisible but I'm certain, between us, we've helped many to gain better control or to alleviate fears. It's actually quite basic advice that's needed. Some over complicate diabetes which isn't necessary.
    In my short time on forums, I've definitely noticed the tide beginning to turn. Only a few months back anyone pushing LCHF on certain forums were jumped on and ridiculed. This is getting less and less.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:19

type 2s rule

type 1s suck

.....so do french people

(only my opinion, I'm not medically trained)
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:21

Andy12345 wrote:type 2s rule

type 1s suck

.....so do french people

Bonjour Andre, are we still all different or was than just on the "other" place ??
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:22

Andy12345 wrote:type 2s rule

type 1s suck

.....so do french people

D'accord! Vive la difference! Very Happy

Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:22

nah we are all the same Smile

imagine that, your all like me Twisted Evil
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:23

Andy12345 wrote:nah we are all the same Smile

imagine that, your all like me Twisted Evil

Lol ! We must be different then :-)
    Au revoir Andre un, deux, trois quatre, cinq
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:53

zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 20:00

Yes I saw that too. Smile
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Mon Feb 09 2015, 20:38

Type 1 or type 2 we can all end up with the same b@@stard complications.
    I come from a family that has a number of type 2s. None were fat on diagnosis. My dad had a 28 inch waist when he was finally diagnosed. There are also a number of us type 1s on the same side of the family.
    The way I see it is that type2s tend to be diagnosed after a long time unknowingly being diabetic. Symptoms are put down to tiredness, age etc. by the time they are actually diagnosed the poor buggers are already on the way to complications.
    Unless we all start kicking off together about the ridiculous advice given about eating carbs unnecessary complications are going to continue.
    My dad got shouted out for eating rubbish. I know he wasn't. He was following the nhs advice to the letter. My sister and I didn't know any better at the time, we were the ones cooking for him from the leaflets and booklets he was given.
    Now I'd love to verbally slap the dietitian who treated my dad like a naughty kid.
    Unfortunately it is taking the media an awful long time to catch up in the causes of type 2.
    I just know that as a type 1 I am incredibly grateful for all the low carb advice that seems actually to have been started by type 2s and now being used by type 1s.
    I think we start a new diabetes classification system based on dietary choices.
    I want to be known as a lchf diabetic. Too cool for school type!
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Feb 09 2015, 20:51

Yes I got shouted at for not losing weight and I followed the diet sheets to the letter too. I was desperately unhappy because I tried so hard and no-one believed me.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Mon Feb 09 2015, 21:00

Hi Zand. It's disgusting how some health care specialists automatically assume you are lying.
    My dad ended up on insulin. If I had known better at the time I might have been able to stop that happening. He was always so bloody cold because he wouldn't eat any fat. He was a 32 inch waist in the end.
    He ate to his insulin and had a number of hypos.
    I always fiddled with my insulin to allow me to eat what I wanted at the time (I was the size of a house).
    He wouldn't change his injections because he was seriously old school that the doctors and nurses knew best.
    Even when they were shouting at him and he was doing exactly what they said.
    So I'm happy to not be a number but a LCHF diabetic!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 20:00