THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
graham64
Mrs Vimes
Eddie
Paul1976
8 posters

Don't lump us in with those fat bastard type two diabetics!

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Don't lump us in with those fat bastard type two diabetics! Empty Don't lump us in with those fat bastard type two diabetics!

Post by Eddie Tue Mar 17 2015, 18:32

Check this out, being pushed at the flog http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/change-the-name-of-diabetes-type-1.73796/

e-petition started by sandra jones here http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/64121

The renaming of Type 1 Diabetes

"Responsible department: Department of Health

Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are different - but the media treats both conditions as the same.

Articles complaining of burdensome diabetics draining NHS resources are harmful and hurtful and are referring to patients with often preventable Type 2 diabetes, but the media frequently fail to make this distinction preferring the single term diabetics / diabetes.

The name of Type 1 diabetes should be changed so that sufferers can be treated fairly and with the seriousness the condition deserves.

We also wish for Type 1 Diabetes to be recognised as a chronic disease and that of Pancreatic failure."

I will have much to say on this situation later, but in the meantime what say you?

Cannon
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Don't lump us in with those fat bastard type two diabetics! Empty Re: Don't lump us in with those fat bastard type two diabetics!

Post by Paul1976 Tue Mar 17 2015, 18:42

I saw that too a few minutes back-If they hadn't have banned me I would of gone apeshit at the OP!
    At the end of the day they both have the same nasty complications if we don't keep our BG's in check and the causes of T2 are not clear cut and with obesity likely to be a symptom of and not the cause of DM...How many times have there been debates on the flog to end the stereotyping and divisiveness between IDDM's and NIDDM's with the majority of members in support of ending these out of date stereotypes and then the OP posts this shite today!  Evil or Very Mad
    Eddie
    Eddie

Don't lump us in with those fat bastard type two diabetics! Empty Re: Don't lump us in with those fat bastard type two diabetics!

Post by Eddie Tue Mar 17 2015, 18:53

I was slim and fit and very strong until I got to 57 years of age. With no great change in diet the weight went up big time. Who is to say the weight gain was not brought about by becoming a diabetic, rather than the other way around.

Does that make sense? It's been a shit day, a clown drove into the back of our car today, and I have spent most of the afternoon talking to an insurance company. That Vincent Wolf bloke is full of shit.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Tue Mar 17 2015, 19:33

Coming from a family full of type 1s and 2s, the 2s were slim and active. Me personally, I am not a number! (Diagnosed type 1). I want to be known as a LCHF diabetic.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Mar 17 2015, 19:45

Mrs Vimes wrote:Coming from a family full of type 1s and 2s, the 2s were slim and active. Me personally, I am not a number! (Diagnosed type 1). I want to be known as a LCHF diabetic.

Yep,that's all I want to be known as too! thumb-up

And as for the weight issue between different types and type 2's always being overweight according to some?...I'm late onset type 1 but in the early days they thought I was a type 2 and I attended and managed half of a DESMOND course,there was at least 10 of us there and I was the podgiest person on the course! All the T2's there were skinny so this is why this whole "Type 2's are all fatties who ate their way to the condition" thing really grinds my gears.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Mar 17 2015, 22:16

Mrs Vimes wrote:Coming from a family full of type 1s and 2s, the 2s were slim and active. Me personally, I am not a number! (Diagnosed type 1). I want to be known as a LCHF diabetic.

And I'm another skinny type 2 who's never been overweight and have lead an active life, blaming being overweight or obese for the increase in diabetes is far to simplistic there are many theories as to the cause but no real conclusions have been established.

It's a chicken and egg situation what came first the insulin resistance or diabetes  Question
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Mar 18 2015, 12:36

Morbidly obese!

I don’t know about you, but much of the politically correct malarky makes me laugh, much of it is complete nonsense. For a start most of my best jokes (I used to tell a lot of jokes) had to go in the shredder. Probably just as well, I could get prosecuted for telling many of them, and in this day and age, only idiots would think they were funny. So, no more jokes about black people or Jews etc. The other day I saw an article about making jokes about fat people a hate crime. My first thought was here we go again more PC. Thinking about it too right, make it a hate crime.

I have never been morbidly obese not even close to it, I was overweight in my late fifties and proud of it. Down the pub with my mates we would often pat our fat guts, and joke about how much it must have cost in booze and steaks to get the gut. Having a fat gut for us was seen a sign of success and affluence. Of course I stopped laughing when I became a type two diabetic, it took the smile of some of my friends faces to.

For some time I have been reading articles about diabetes in the media. Most of it garbage, but whenever talking about a type two diabetes, the term lifestyle or morbidly obese comes into the article. This has lead to many type one diabetics getting very annoyed, the petition being hawked at the flog is not the first I have seen. And clearly it has “don’t lump us in with those fat bastards” written all over it. The reality of the situation is many type ones are very slim at diagnosis, because they are producing little or no insulin. The type two diabetic at diagnosis is usually producing too much insulin, hence the weight gain.

Either way, no one wants to become a diabetic, no one deserves to become a diabetic, and no one ever went out of their way to become heavily overweight. We all know people who are slim as a whip and eat a hell of a lot of food, we all know people that are modest eaters yet heavily overweight. Jan is as slim as a whip and eats exactly the same meals as me. and always has done since we met. So, should we be kicking media to death? maybe, but the sad reality is most medical people and dietitians have not got a clue, so we can’t expect too much from a hack at the Daily Mail, and not too much wisdom from the average diabetic, who has been brainwashed into believing the diet of slow death is the way to go.

Cannon
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Wed Mar 18 2015, 17:55

Exactly errr Cannon ( Rolling Eyes ) As someone who has been morbidly obese (now seriously obese, on the way to becoming obese) I agree 100% with your post.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Mar 18 2015, 19:13

I see that thread has been deleted now. Does anyone know what I missed while I was out today?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Mar 18 2015, 19:21

zand wrote:I see that thread has been deleted now.  Does anyone know what I missed while I was out today?

TBH not a lot really,the bun fights ended last night and this morning the whole thread went up in a puff of smoke. Cool
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Mar 18 2015, 19:25

Paul wrote:
    zand wrote:I see that thread has been deleted now.  Does anyone know what I missed while I was out today?

TBH not a lot really,the bun fights ended last night and this morning the whole thread went up in a puff of smoke. Cool

Thank you! I don't like to miss out! Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Mar 18 2015, 19:44

I noticed the entire thread has disappeared, why. OK it annoyed some people, but jeez I get far more annoyed at seeing the horror on the nightly news. Hearing about horrific wars and suffering, and the industrial level of paedophilia activity that has gone on in the UK for decades. It appears the Government are happy to let all the high ups involved die off before a real enquiry is made.

Top ranking Government officials, Police Chiefs, high ranking Army Officers, Priests, Teachers, Doctors and BBC and top media personalties, you name it, all guilty of the worse crime other than murder. The stench of lies and cover-up all around us.

If children are not sacred, what hope is there for us? Many are far worse than animals. Most animals kill to live, this is the rule or the law of the jungle and nature. There are a great deal of people on this earth, but not enough human beings.

zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Mar 18 2015, 20:36

Loose Cannon wrote:I noticed the entire thread has disappeared, why. OK it annoyed some people, but jeez I get far more annoyed at seeing the horror on the nightly news. Hearing about horrific wars and suffering, and the industrial level of paedophilia activity that has gone on in the UK for decades. It appears the Government are happy to let all the high ups involved die off before a real enquiry is made.

Top ranking Government officials, Police Chiefs, high ranking Army Officers, Priests, Teachers, Doctors and BBC and top media personalties, you name it, all guilty of the worse crime other than murder. The stench of lies and cover-up all around us.

If children are not sacred, what hope is there for us? Many are far worse than animals. Most animals kill to live, this is the rule or the law of the jungle and nature. There are a great deal of people on this earth, but not enough human beings.

And it's cover-ups like these that you speak of that have led to the U-turn in my thinking re talking publicly of any wrong-doings we may see elsewhere. Free speech is no good if there aren't people willing to speak up. If we don't speak up about the injustice and unfairness that we witness then we are all complicit in it. I can't have that on my conscience.

Oh, and just a few more of my own posts deleted too. What a waste of time writing them.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Mar 18 2015, 20:47

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
    George Washington
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Wed Mar 18 2015, 22:50

Why is anyone surprised another thread went AWOL over there ? Regular occurrence unfortunately. There have been many threads started about diabetic name changes over the years, they all get kicked into touch. I notice a lot of docs simply referring to it as "insulin dependant" or "non insulin dependant".
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Mar 19 2015, 10:17

It's a shame that thread has gone, because I find these type of threads are a good place to explain the truth about T2.
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Post by horfilmania Thu Mar 19 2015, 16:08

My siblings and I were at one time almost morbidly obese. None of us developed diabetes because we are not predisposed to it and not a single member of the family on both sides of the family tree have ever been diabetic. We succumb to heart disease and stroke, that's our weakness. My siblings and I been beating the predisposition to heart disease using diet only. It's working.

Anyway, it's wrong to state that people are at fault for getting diabetes because they are morbidly obese. But its fashionable to blame all fat people for being fat because they are gluttons and need to move more and eat less. Rolling Eyes How utterly simplistic!
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Mar 19 2015, 16:26

It is utterly simplistic and it's very hurtful.  Even if someone is a glutton, the chances are they need counselling to find the root cause.  I don't believe anyone wants to be obese.  There's always a reason. Blaming the person isn't helpful.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 12:02