THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Why so much food is crap today and that's the good stuff.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Why so much food is crap today and that's the good stuff. Empty Why so much food is crap today and that's the good stuff.

Post by Eddie Sun Feb 08 2015, 15:17

Have you ever grown your own vegetables in real soil in your garden, did you notice how much better they tasted? Here is why, also, did you know most tomatoes never get grown in soil. They are grown in a trough of water and chemicals. Most fruit and vegetables are of very poor quality compared to only a few years ago. Check this out.

“Efforts to breed new varieties of crops that provide greater yield, pest resistance and climate adaptability have allowed crops to grow bigger and more rapidly,” reported Davis, “but their ability to manufacture or uptake nutrients has not kept pace with their rapid growth.” There have likely been declines in other nutrients, too, he said, such as magnesium, zinc and vitamins B-6 and E, but they were not studied in 1950 and more research is needed to find out how much less we are getting of these key vitamins and minerals.

The Organic Consumers Association cites several other studies with similar findings: A Kushi Institute analysis of nutrient data from 1975 to 1997 found that average calcium levels in 12 fresh vegetables dropped 27 percent; iron levels 37 percent; vitamin A levels 21 percent, and vitamin C levels 30 percent. A similar study of British nutrient data from 1930 to 1980, published in the British Food Journal,found that in 20 vegetables the average calcium content had declined 19 percent; iron 22 percent; and potassium 14 percent. Yet another study concluded that one would have to eat eight oranges today to derive the same amount of Vitamin A as our grandparents would have gotten from one.

More information here. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Why so much food is crap today and that's the good stuff. Empty Re: Why so much food is crap today and that's the good stuff.

Post by zand Sun Feb 08 2015, 15:37

Eddie - I was just thinking that I'll buy tomato seeds soon because home grown tomatoes are much nicer! Smile
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Why so much food is crap today and that's the good stuff. Empty Re: Why so much food is crap today and that's the good stuff.

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sun Feb 08 2015, 17:41

You can't beat home grown. Gooseberries straight from the bush knock my socks off every time I eat them. I can't believe how great they taste!
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sun Feb 08 2015, 17:48

Oh yeh, I miss fresh gooseberries.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Feb 08 2015, 17:53

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:You can't beat home grown.  Gooseberries straight from the bush knock my socks off every time I eat them. I can't believe how great they taste!

My oldman used to grow'em when I was a kid I love them and low carb. Time after time I have said to myself since lowcarbing I must get some, but never do, time to put that right in the summer I reckon. If I remember right they were a doddle to grow, they looked after themselves.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sun Feb 08 2015, 17:56

My gooseberries thrive on neglect.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:06

eddie1 wrote:
    Avocado Sevenfold wrote:You can't beat home grown.  Gooseberries straight from the bush knock my socks off every time I eat them. I can't believe how great they taste!

My oldman used to grow'em when I was a kid I love them and low carb. Time after time I have said to myself since lowcarbing I must get some, but never do, time to put that right in the summer I reckon. If I remember right they were a doddle to grow, they looked after themselves.

A doddle to grow indeed-Haven't had 'em in years either but my Dad did grow them well in the 80's and I'd nick a few from time to time off the bush and I did like them just as they came although most ended up in Mum's Gooseberry crumble which was delicious but off the menu for me now unless there's a low carb crumble mix out there. Cool
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:08

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:My gooseberries thrive on neglect.

Talking of gooseberries thriving on neglect I think rhubarb does to ..... as a child I can remember the rhubarb patch being somewhat overgrown but the taste was so lovely. Yep, I do like rhubarb.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:10

Paul wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

A doddle to grow indeed-Haven't had 'em in years either but my Dad did grow them well in the 80's and I'd nick a few from time to time off the bush and I did like them just as they came although most ended up in Mum's Gooseberry crumble which was delicious but off the menu for me now unless there's a low carb crumble mix out there. Cool

Wow I can remember my mums lovely gooseberry crumble and rhubarb crumble great tasting home cooked food.

I'm sure there is a low carb alternative for the crumb topping?

All the best Jan
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:18

I tried this crumble topping.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-crumble-and-custard.46904/

Made with rhubarb and random berries.  Some people just toast nuts for crumble an omit the butter and sugar substitute. This would be nice too.

Why so much food is crap today and that's the good stuff. 20hrlf9
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:23

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I tried this crumble topping.

Made with rhubarb and random berries.  Some people just toast nuts for crumble an omit the butter and sugar substitute. This would be nice too.

Wow! Cheers for that! Smile I can't believe I missed that one over there! Looks like a winner for sure! thumb-up
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:27

Paul wrote:
    Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I tried this crumble topping.

Wow! Cheers for that! Smile I can't believe I missed that one over there! Looks like a winner for sure! thumb-up

WOW   WOW   WOW  and more WOWS

This looks great. Thanks so much, I think we may have to repeat it here on our low carb recipe's section !  sunny

All the best Jan
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:32

The fruit was the best bit. I think I would try it with just sprinkled, toasted nuts and cream next time.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 08 2015, 18:35

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:The fruit was the best bit.  I think I would try it with just sprinkled, toasted nuts and cream next time.

Think that would be tasty ...... Smile

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 09:38