THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Liver and Bacon Casserole

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Liver and Bacon Casserole Empty Liver and Bacon Casserole

Post by Jan1 Wed Feb 04 2015, 23:41

Liver and Bacon Casserole Liver+and+bacon

Liver and bacon, mushroom, onion, carrot and courgette casserole served with white cabbage and mashed swede.

A very tasty low carb, healthy meal. Total cost is less than £2.00 per person. With enough gravy and vegetables left over for a very tasty soup for two the next day. Very easy to prepare and cook. Whole fresh low carb good food does not have to be expensive.

Cut up lambs liver into small chunks and place in casserole dish. Slice and chop a small red onion, put in casserole dish. Slice some courgette, carrot and mushrooms and put in casserole dish with the liver and onion. Scatter some mixed herbs over the ingredients and add seasoning. Make up approx pint gravy stock and pour over ingredients. Cover with lid and cook in the oven for about 90 mins at 190 degrees / Regulo 5. Every 30 minutes or so gently mix and turn the ingredients. Check food is thoroughly cooked and serve with some white cabbage and mashed buttery swede. A really tasty meal, just right for the winter months.

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Liver and Bacon Casserole Empty Re: Liver and Bacon Casserole

Post by Eddie Thu Feb 05 2015, 10:37

I love the way Jan talks about making this very cheap and easy to make healthy meal, I made it LOL. Seriously, liver is one of the healthiest and most nutritional foods we can eat. To be honest I am not a great lover of liver, but I must make it a once a week meal, you could do worse.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 16 2016, 18:46

Jan1 wrote:

Liver and bacon, mushroom, onion, carrot and courgette casserole served with white cabbage and mashed swede.

A very tasty low carb, healthy meal. Total cost is less than £2.00 per person. With enough gravy and vegetables left over for a very tasty soup for two the next day. Very easy to prepare and cook. Whole fresh low carb good food does not have to be expensive.

Cut up lambs liver into small chunks and place in casserole dish. Slice and chop a small red onion, put in casserole dish. Slice some courgette, carrot and mushrooms and put in casserole dish with the liver and onion. Scatter some mixed herbs over the ingredients and add seasoning. Make up approx pint gravy stock and pour over ingredients. Cover with lid and cook in the oven for about 90 mins at 190 degrees / Regulo 5. Every 30 minutes or so gently mix and turn the ingredients. Check food is thoroughly cooked and serve with some white cabbage and mashed buttery swede. A really tasty meal, just right for the winter months.

All the best Jan

Bumping up this lovely meal - why not give it a try soon, it's just right in the cooler winter months and so healthy.
    You could use a savoy cabbage in place of white if you'd prefer !

Cheers ....
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Feb 18 2016, 19:39

By a strange coincidence I just finished polishing off my own simple and quick to cook version.

Boil some brussels sprouts (or purple sprouting or other broccoli, fry a slice of lamb's liver and a giant mushroom in olive oil, grill some bacon. Takes less time to cook than it took to type this.

I was put off liver by school dinners with that insipid "meat with tubes" but fresh liver is cheap and contains an order of magnitude more nutrients than most vegetables. I buy two or three slices every couple of weeks.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Feb 19 2016, 12:42

Yes, for some memories of 'school dinners' may have put many off a variety of foods... liver included!

But liver is one of the cheapest, and nutrient loaded, good low carb food out there!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Apr 25 2016, 12:22

Jan1 wrote:

All the best Jan

'Talking' about Liver recently see here https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t2381-vitamin-d-low-end-of-low-range#22980

thought it an idea to show this post again.

You can also read more about liver and it's nutrients here http://chriskresser.com/natures-most-potent-superfood/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Apr 27 2016, 19:59

It was going to be liver week again this week but the damn butcher had run out of lamb's liver. Oh well I had to make do with spring lamb chops and a chicken breast. I'll go back tomorrow or friday, or maybe visit the farm shop where I can also get some more Gloucester Old Spot sausages.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Mar 19 2017, 19:39

Jan1 wrote:

All the best Jan

Liver is so nutrient dense ...
    Why not enjoy some in a casserole soon sunny

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Mar 19 2017, 19:57

There's another coincidence! I have a couple of slices of lamb's liver I haven't eaten yet. Usually I just fry it lightly in EVOO with a giant mushroom, grill the bacon and will have either sprouts or PSB.

Takes no time to cook and I don't have a casserole to wash up!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 15:07