THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

What am I doing Wrong?

Karen
    Karen

Female Posts : 10

What am I doing Wrong? Empty What am I doing Wrong?

Post by Karen Sun Jan 04 2015, 15:52

After having the flu over Christmas and New Year when my BG numbers hit the roof, I'm really struggling to get them down. To be honest, they were not particularly low before I was sick, but I'm back on the LCHF track now.
    I'm Type 2, take 2 Metformin morning and evening (total 2000mg) and 100mg Sitagliptin (Januvia) and the hated Simvastatin. I have lost a stone recently, but have a lot more to lose. I allow myself up to 50g of carbs a day, and I'm sure this is helping the weight loss. But the BG readings are still horribly high. The lowest I've been in the last 4 days is 11 before bedtime last night  Shocked and dawn phenomenon is a really sad way to start the day! I check all my carb numbers using the book and the information on packets etc, I keep a food diary, watch the portion size and test 4 times a day. Had a long walk this morning as I want to up the exercise, and was still 12 before lunch  affraid
    Where am I going wrong? Am I just being impatient? Feeling quite down today - sorry.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

What am I doing Wrong? Empty Re: What am I doing Wrong?

Post by Eddie Sun Jan 04 2015, 16:08

"Where am I going wrong? Am I just being impatient? Feeling quite down today - sorry."

You may not be doing anything wrong, a few questions if not out of order. How long have you been a type two diabetic, how long have you been low carbing, how over weight are you? Any other health issues that could raise BG numbers?

Regards Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Jan 04 2015, 17:48

Also, after having flu, it can take a while for your body to recuperate. How were your BG levels prior to bout of flu ?
    Karen
    Karen

Post by Karen Sun Jan 04 2015, 19:24

Hi Eddie,
    I've been a diabetic for about 4 years, HbA1c levels have fluctuated somewhat from low 6's to 9 (last one) in that time. It was high as I had stopped taking Gliclazide due to weight gain and was just using Metformin and no LCHF. Not been low carbing for long, drifted off it (stupidly) just before flu and although did not go mad, was not under such good control. Back on board properly now since after Christmas. I would like to lose about 5 stone - I'm so ashamed at that statement, but it's the truth Sad There are other health issues.

Hi Mo, BG levels before flu were a little high, but in single figures - 8s or 9s.

Thanks.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Jan 04 2015, 20:30

You've got nothing to be ashamed of Karen. Hopefully now your flu is out the way, you should begin to see your BG levels reduce. Try to get back doing LCHF when you can but if you slip up occasionally, don't beat yourself up. I have no idea of your other health issues but if you can, try to keep to some for of exercise regime, even if it's a 15min walk.
    If you stick with all this and still struggle to keep your numbers low, you may need to go back to your doc to review your meds.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Jan 04 2015, 21:18

Karen wrote:Hi Eddie,
    I've been a diabetic for about 4 years, HbA1c levels have fluctuated somewhat from low 6's to 9 (last one) in that time. It was high as I had stopped taking Gliclazide due to weight gain and was just using Metformin and no LCHF. Not been low carbing for long, drifted off it (stupidly) just before flu and although did not go mad, was not under such good control. Back on board properly now since after Christmas. I would like to lose about 5 stone - I'm so ashamed at that statement, but it's the truth Sad There are other health issues.

Hi Mo, BG levels before flu were a little high, but in single figures - 8s or 9s.

Thanks.

Karen you have thrown a few curve balls at me there and I cannot tell you what you should do, especially regarding meds. Maybe if I talk about how I see the situation for people like me a bog standard type two diabetic. First I would not touch Glic with a ten foot pole. Glic is a known pancreas ripper, it forces a higher insulin output whether required or not. This obviously means more insulin floating around hence your comment "I had stopped taking Gliclazide due to weight gain" so more weight gain leads to increased insulin resistance, the very last thing a typical type two diabetic needs. Also it is a drug that can cause hypos. A person who say is around 50 lbs over weight does not have to lose all that excess weight to see big improvements in BG numbers, very often a 15 or 20 lb weight loss can really get the BG numbers dropping big time.

There are no easy ways around this but you must stick to the low carb regime. 50 carbs per day gives you a huge range in different foods, 30 carbs per day should get most into a keto diet and should get BG numbers and weight plummeting. A  point to remember is to replace lost calories with high quality natural fats rather than upping protein big time. A high ptotein diet can raise BG numbers and if someone is suffering from kidney problems is not recommended.

As Mo said running a heavy cold or flu can raise BG numbers, I have a very heavy cold and numbers are running 1 to 2 points higher than normal. Another point to remember when dropping carbs big time and using possible hypo inducing meds is to take extra care in BG checks, it can be easy to get into hypo territory and meds must be adjusted accordingly. You said you have other health issues, maybe they need to be taken into consideration, I am sure you would know if that is the case.

So, get on the case and stay on the case. The very best of luck.

BTW check out this vid it explains why many type two diabetics do not do well on medication. Most medics treat the symptoms high BG numbers not the cause of type two diabetes and the cause is insulin resistance.

Regards Eddie
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Sun Jan 04 2015, 23:23

Hi Karen. Bi always think of things like flu and colds, coughs, etc., as the body's way of detoxing gunk. It's not very pleasant, but helps to not only give the body a rest but a bit of a clear-out too.

However, since I've been doing research on fasting I've come to understand that it is not good to eat when you are ill. We are told over and again to eat 'to keep up the strength', but actually, when the appetite disappears, the body is telling us it can't digest and heal/recover at the same time.

Although it doesn't always abate, it's always best just to have a little light soup, or just drinks.

Although we may feel recovered from an illness, it doesn't mean the body has finished working on the issue, especially if it was suppressed in any way with drugs.

I am wondering whether doing a bit of fasting might just help your body recover better. I find when I just drink water or herb teas, etc., for a day or two my body goes into healing overdrive. It also helps it clear out excess sugar. I have been doing Intermittent Fasting and a few days of just water fasting over the last 3-4 weeks and my blood sugars not only have been coming down, but I am also becoming less insulin resistant (not to mention the weight loss too!).

Maybe you just need to help your body finish what it started..... :0)
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Male Posts : 161

Post by RANDBURG Mon Jan 05 2015, 06:06

Morning, Thanks @ eddie1,
    Found the Video interesting. Do you happen to know what amounts of Carbs and fats they have in his Diet ?
    ( I'm lazy at heart, could probably find out, but easier to ask first)
    scratch
    Karen
    Karen

Post by Karen Mon Jan 05 2015, 11:30

Morning Eddie, thanks for your helpful reply. I did try to explain my concerns about the Gliclazide effect to my DSN, but it fell on deaf ears, I was not Mrs Popular when I refused to take it any more  Shocked  
    I watched the video last night and spent some time looking at the DietDoctor site and his video links - I know this is the right way for me to tackle both the weight and high levels. Dropping the carbs to around 40 to see if this kick starts the drop - I'm sticking with this.
    Hope you feel better today.

Hi Mo, thank you for your kind post - feeling stronger today  Smile

Hi Ali, interesting, not thought about IM until I saw your post and watched the video. Thanks Smile

Karen cat

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 14:30