THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

NHS Nurse 100% wrong.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

NHS Nurse 100% wrong. Empty NHS Nurse 100% wrong.

Post by Eddie Tue Jun 27 2017, 20:43

A NHS Nurse had the temerity to give me a hard time today on Twitter. She stated (swiftly supported by other dullards).

NHS Nurse 100% wrong. Angry%2Bnurse

The facts as most know here.

Diabetics, and even some health professionals, often confuse two quite distinct metabolic processes - ketosis and ketoacidosis. Ketosis is a perfectly natural and healthy state during which the body uses stored or dietary fat for fuel. In order to enter this state, carbohydrate intake needs to fall below a certain level. Ideally, a healthy metabolism should regularly use ketosis, while fasting overnight for example, to fuel the body's processes and utilise stored fat reserves. Most of the body's organs, the heart for example, in fact run very efficiently on ketones.

Ketoacidosis is quite different and is typically the result of a chronic lack of insulin, not a lack of carbohydrate. With insufficient insulin, the body attempts to fuel itself by breaking down fat and protein stores in an uncontrolled way, a process which results in the blood becoming dangerously acidic. In short, ketosis usually occurs when blood sugars are at the lower end of the normal range, and ketoacidosis occurs when blood sugars are dangerously elevated. Ketosis is a result of low carbohydrate intake, ketoacidosis is a result of inadequate insulin levels.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

NHS Nurse 100% wrong. Empty Re: NHS Nurse 100% wrong.

Post by graham64 Tue Jun 27 2017, 22:23

Given her foul mouth The Angry Nurse  would I'm sure be welcomed with open arms by Collins just as the Angry Chef was  Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jun 29 2017, 22:22

Calling her a clueless fuckwit would be unfair on other clueless fuckwits.

Eddie is correct as anyone with half a clue about metabolism should know. I've been in or on the edge of ketosis for over a decade now, the only thing that has gone wrong is that I am now much older. This would NOT have happened if I'd continued eating carbs. I'd be as fat as a dietician and almost certainly with fewer than the average number of limbs, plus on two or three diabetes meds as my GP predicted, if not insulin, plus all the statins and other things I no longer need. Actually I'd probably already be dead.

There's the difference between science and dogma, right there.

The only other thing that has gone wrong is my thyroid, and even my GP hasn't tried to blame that on diet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 19:02