THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
yoly
zand
Paul1976
Eddie
8 posters

A straight question.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

A straight question. Empty A straight question.

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 18 2014, 17:46

Who believes a diabetic can hold good long term BG control, safe lipids and good control and reduction of weight if required on a 45% diet of carbohydrates ?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

A straight question. Empty Re: A straight question.

Post by Paul1976 Thu Dec 18 2014, 17:56

eddie1 wrote:Who believes a diabetic can hold good long term BG control, safe lipids and good control and reduction of weight if required on a 45% diet of carbohydrates ?

Bit early for April fools Eddie? freakout

Then again,we've seen this kind of crap posted before by members on DCUK claiming they achieve just that-most folks can spot the bullshit right away whilst others fall over themselves liking the posts and celebrating the mediocrity and bullshit...Anyone remember Gezza's avatar in 2013 that contained the text "250 grams + a day = Control + home" what a load of tosh! jimlad
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Dec 18 2014, 18:09

A straight answer?  Well I have never tried it.  It makes sense to me that if diabetics can't tolerate carbs because they don't have any/enough insulin to deal with them, then cutting carbs is the way to go.  Simple.  So in answer to your question, No, I don't believe it.

However, this young lady thinks otherwise.  Feel free to remove this video if you like (or ask me to do so). I know it's not what we advocate here and as I said, I have never tried this, so I don't know.  But you did ask who believes it and she does!  

yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Thu Dec 18 2014, 18:29

Well doing a 600 calories a day diet, 45% carbohydrates will still be very low carb but how long can a person live on that. That is the main problem of the authorities advice, portions control can work on principle if a person can starve themselves. But it really doesn't work in real life for very long.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Dec 18 2014, 18:32

yoly wrote:Well doing a 600 calories a day diet, 45% carbohydrates will still be very low carb but how long can a person live on that. That is the main problem of the authorities advice, portions control can work on principle if a person can starve themselves. But it really doesn't work in real life for very long.

Exactly that Yoly! Smile That method can only be sustained short term as a 'Short,sharp,shock' weight loss regime...Once the weight is lost-then what? Question
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Dec 18 2014, 18:33

yoly wrote:Well doing a 600 calories a day diet, 45% carbohydrates will still be very low carb but how long can a person live on that. That is the main problem of the authorities advice, portions control can work on principle if a person can starve themselves. But it really doesn't work in real life for very long.

Yes I agree. Starving yourself does not work because it slows down your metabolism and makes things worse long-term - now that I have done!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 18 2014, 19:12

zand wrote:

Yes I agree.  Starving yourself does not work because it slows down your metabolism and makes things worse long-term - now that I have done!

Agree. I always say this ain't no race. If you are losing weight even a small amount, it is better than putting it on. Scientific studies have proved even a modest reduction in weight can drastically reduce insulin resistance and improve the outcome for a type two diabetic. We all know an overweight person who never stops working, eats a normal amount of food. We all know a person that never stops eating and is as slim as whip.

PS. Don't tell the average idiot that comments on the Daily Mail.
    j

Male Posts : 111

Post by j Thu Dec 18 2014, 19:19

don't get gut surgery then Evil or Very Mad

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_guidelines_after_gastric_bypass/
    Recommended Meal Plan For Weeks Two to Eight Until Two Months Post-Surgery
    At this time, your caloric intake will probably be no more than 500 calories a day,

Recommended Meal Plan for Six Months Post-Surgery and Beyond
    Continue consuming 900 to 1,000 calories per day
    Decrease to three meals and only one to two snacks per day
    Discontinue taking high-protein liquid supplement drinks
    Increase the variety of low-fat, low-sugar and low-calorie foods, as tolerated
    Avoid raw vegetables, fresh fruits with skins, dried fruits, breads, popcorn, nuts and red meats only if poorly tolerated
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Dec 18 2014, 19:20

eddie1 wrote:
    zand wrote:

Yes I agree.  Starving yourself does not work because it slows down your metabolism and makes things worse long-term - now that I have done!

Agree. I always say this ain't no race. If you are losing weight even a small amount, it is better than putting it on. Scientific studies have proved even a modest reduction in weight can drastically reduce insulin resistance and improve the outcome for a type two diabetic. We all know an overweight person who never stops working, eats a normal amount of food. We all know a person that never stops eating and is as slim as whip.

PS. Don't tell the average idiot that comments on the Daily Mail.

And that's my big problem, insulin resistance. Metformin helped, but my GP won't prescribe it for me now. Exercise is difficult and whatever exercise I have tried my BG's tend to go up not down. It is so easy to get down hearted when you see others doing 'better' than you
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Dec 18 2014, 19:22

j wrote:don't get gut surgery then Evil or Very Mad

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_guidelines_after_gastric_bypass/
    Recommended Meal Plan For Weeks Two to Eight Until Two Months Post-Surgery
    At this time, your caloric intake will probably be no more than 500 calories a day,

Recommended Meal Plan for Six Months Post-Surgery and Beyond
    Continue consuming 900 to 1,000 calories per day
    Decrease to three meals and only one to two snacks per day
    Discontinue taking high-protein liquid supplement drinks
    Increase the variety of low-fat, low-sugar and low-calorie foods, as tolerated
    Avoid raw vegetables, fresh fruits with skins, dried fruits, breads, popcorn, nuts and red meats only if poorly tolerated

Now this makes me mad Evil or Very Mad Those people would lose weight on that low calorie diet anyway, why butcher them first? Aaaaaarghhh!

Oops there I go again, I hope I will be back to my normal self soon. I really don't like being this argumentative.
    j

Male Posts : 111

Post by j Thu Dec 18 2014, 19:27

who's got a carb crave? eat some fat sunny

even when they butcher them 20% manage to overeat and get fatter again
    RULE NUMBER 1, break the carb craving before moving and once you have done that, you don't need the op
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 18 2014, 19:34

In my opinion surgery should be the absolute last resort. All surgery carries serious risks, but in many cases there is no alternative. When I had my angioplasty and two heart stents I had a choice, a much reduced active life or the small risk of death, I rolled the dice, the dice was in my favour. I would have much rather have died than be disabled. One thing is for sure, one day I will croak, if when that day comes I am still active and have my head together I will be truly blessed. I have had a great life.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Dec 18 2014, 19:41

eddie1 wrote:In my opinion surgery should be the absolute last resort. All surgery carries serious risks, but in many cases there is no alternative. When I had my angioplasty and two heart stents I had a choice, a much reduced active life or the small risk of death, I rolled the dice, the dice was in my favour. I would have much rather have died than be disabled. One thing is for sure, one day I will croak, if when that day comes I am still active and have my head together I will be truly blessed. I have had a great life.

Yes, I've had a heart procedure too Eddie, not the same as yours, but it carried risks too, so did the dreadful drugs I had to take beforehand, but like you I made my choice and don't regret it at all. I can now walk more than a few yards without getting breathless. Life is good. Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 18 2014, 20:02

Hi Zand

You have been open and honest on this forum, you have talked about your serious depression. From what I can see you have a family that loves you and some good friends on the forum. I am guessing you are not poverty stricken, re, your traveling around Europe following your football team.

I am willing to bet you have a nice home and are pretty safe and secure. It’s not all bad  is it mate? OK I realise depression is a very complicated thing, I have been seriously depressed, but maybe I have been lucky, I always know the reason why, and I change the situation as fast as my spindly legs will carry me. Stick with us and thank you for your many posts and loyalty to our little forum.

Eddie x
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Dec 18 2014, 20:23

eddie1 wrote:Hi Zand

You have been open and honest on this forum, you have talked about your serious depression. From what I can see you have a family that loves you and some good friends on the forum. I am guessing you are not poverty stricken, re, your traveling around Europe following your football team.

I am willing to bet you have a nice home and are pretty safe and secure. It’s not all bad  is it mate? OK I realise depression is a very complicated thing, I have been seriously depressed, but maybe I have been lucky, I always know the reason why, and I change the situation as fast as my spindly legs will carry me. Stick with us and thank you for your many posts and loyalty to our little forum.

Eddie x

Wow,  Eddie!  I would have an OK, pretty average, home if only I could recover from my dreadful habit of hoarding and tidy up a bit.  I haven't been able to do a lot for years.  Having said that, the house is looking better than it ever has right now.  Downstairs is fairly OK.  It's just very cluttered and a mess upstairs now.

The thing is I have been depressed for 18 years on and off and I didn't always know the reason why.  Some suppressed memories (from childhood) came back to me 14 years ago, and it's taken all this time for me to be strong enough to deal with them and realise that I needed to seek help.

I don't feel I have been loyal to you recently as I seem to be picking fights with you!  Sorry, I'm really not myself right now and I don't have another counselling session until mid January.  Can you put up with me until then?  Or should I throw the PC out of the window?  I've already stopped posting at the other place for a bit because I've been getting into trouble there too.

Last edited by zand on Fri Dec 19 2014, 07:47; edited 1 time in total
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 18 2014, 20:44

"I don't feel I have been loyal to you recently as I seem to be picking fights with you! Sorry, I'm really not myself right now and I don't have another counselling session until mid January. Can you put up with me until then? Or should I throw the PC out of the window? I've already stopped posting at the other place for a bit because I've been getting into trouble there too."

Jeez Zand no one has to be loyal to me, why should they be ? loyal to the cause is what I admire and respect. Jan and Graham have pulled me up on countless occasions and caused me to edit my posts.

When this forum is nothing but yes men and women it is finished. Freedom of speech is the mantra here, when I can't deal with that, I will call it a day.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Fri Dec 19 2014, 12:26

eddie1 wrote:
    When this forum is nothing but yes men and women it is finished. Freedom of speech is the mantra here, when I can't deal with that, I will call it a day.

I agree.

Ah, no, no; I mean I don't agree; I don't want to finish the forum.

Keep posting Zand; it's always good to hear from you and as this is the Internet you are able to say what you want with few restrictions. Sometimes even just expressing a problem is an important part in dealing with it. I think it is very brave of you to talk about your depression and I bet anyone who has ever read any of your posts supports you too.

Also Eddie needs people to argue with or else I bet he just goes and annoys Jan...

Best

Dillinger
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Dec 19 2014, 12:28

Dillinger wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

I agree.

Ah, no, no; I mean I don't agree; I don't want to finish the forum.

Keep posting Zand; it's always good to hear from you and as this is the Internet you are able to say what you want with few restrictions. Sometimes even just expressing a problem is an important part in dealing with it. I think it is very brave of you to talk about your depression and I bet anyone who has ever read any of your posts supports you too.

Also Eddie needs people to argue with or else I bet he just goes and annoys Jan...

Best

Dillinger

Smile Thank you. I really like Jan ......so I guess I need to keep arguing with Eddie Wink
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sat Dec 20 2014, 02:46

If we all agree to agree, perhaps things need changing. Sometimes, even if I think you're right, I'll argue just for the hell of it lol !
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Dec 20 2014, 07:33

mo1905 wrote:If we all agree to agree, perhaps things need changing. Sometimes, even if I think you're right, I'll argue just for the hell of it lol !

lol! jocolor
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Sat Dec 20 2014, 09:08

mo1905 wrote:Sometimes, even if I think you're right, I'll argue just for the hell of it lol !

Oh no you won't bounce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 00:51