THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

How interesting.....!

AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

How interesting.....! Empty How interesting.....!

Post by AliB Mon Dec 08 2014, 13:26

This chap's diabetes was cured by eating Long Wheat (ancient Emmer or Kamut) mash every morning and eating low carb generally.

http://www.appropedia.org/Diabetes_mellitus_cured_-_George%27s_experience

The ancient wheat strains (14 chromosome as opposed to the 42 chromosome modern highly-hybridised dwarf 'wheat' strains) is a far healthier option. He obviously recognises there are many phytoelements within the grain that are very beneficial (B vitamins???), that are not found in the modern strains or in corrupted flour.

Many decry grains in general, but the simple proteins found in ancient strains do not contain the complex 'foreign' proteins that disrupt and damage the body. The 'bread of life' back then was far lower in gluten too.

Food in its natural form is always going to be superior to anything man meddles with. You cannot improve on perfection.....

Yes, cultivated food might be sweeter, juicier, hardier, etc., but what has it lost in the process? There are unknown factors at stake that may well end up doing (or have been doing) far more harm than good.....
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

How interesting.....! Empty Re: How interesting.....!

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 08 2014, 15:55

AliB wrote:This chap's diabetes was cured by eating Long Wheat (ancient Emmer or Kamut) mash every morning and eating low carb generally.

http://www.appropedia.org/Diabetes_mellitus_cured_-_George%27s_experience

The ancient wheat strains (14 chromosome as opposed to the 42 chromosome modern highly-hybridised dwarf 'wheat' strains) is a far healthier option.  He obviously recognises there are many phytoelements within the grain that are very beneficial (B vitamins???), that are not found in the modern strains or in corrupted flour.

Many decry grains in general, but the simple proteins found in ancient strains do not contain the complex 'foreign' proteins that disrupt and damage the body.  The 'bread of life' back then was far lower in gluten too.

Food in its natural form is always going to be superior to anything man meddles with. You cannot improve on perfection.....

Yes, cultivated food might be sweeter, juicier, hardier, etc., but what has it lost in the process?  There are unknown factors at stake that may well end up doing (or have been doing) far more harm than good.....

Interesting to read this Ali ....thanks.

Food in it's natural form, whole fresh food, is always going to be superior to anything man meddles with, processes etc.

Foods we eat today are so far apart from the ancients. Feeding the many on five loaves and two fish. Those loaves and fish would not have been tainted with today's pollutants.

Having said that surely no matter what time you lived there would always have been pollutants? Waste was thrown in the water or put back on the land ....but of course not in the same huge amounts that we have today.

All things considered I think I will stick with my LCHF lifestyle, and do my best to stay away from eating too much processed foods.

All the best Jan
             flower
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Mon Dec 08 2014, 17:26

Has anyone on here ever used Emmer or Long wheat?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Dec 08 2014, 18:32

sanguine wrote:Has anyone on here ever used Emmer or Long wheat?

I haven't myself Rod,hadn't even heard of it until Ali posted about it today. Cool
    Two Collies
    Two Collies

Male Posts : 133

Post by Two Collies Mon Dec 08 2014, 18:59

AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Mon Dec 08 2014, 23:08

I haven't, but would like to get some.  I bought some (probably dwarf) wheat from Winchester mill and an electric 'whisper' mill (that sounds like Concorde taking off!), as grain is far more nutritious when freshly ground.  

I learned about slow-rise bread by accident when I was researching gluten a few years back.  The writer was saying that he had found that those with gluten issues could eat his bread without any problems, so I made the Hub some and amazingly it worked.

I would use half freshly ground wholemeal, half strong white flour and make the dough in the evening, making sure ALL the flour is incorporated thoroughly.  Some make no-knead bread, but I would knead mine in my trusty old Chef.  I would clean the bowl around so there is no loose flour, or put the dough in a clean bowl, cover it and pop it in the fridge overnight.

It would come out of the fridge about 9 or 10am, be knocked back (I use olive oil to knead and mould it rather than loose flour) and put in the tin (I prefer a silicone mould as it's much easier to get the bread out), switch the oven on to 40 degrees, turn it off and pop the dough in to rise for a couple of hours, then bake it.

It would be very interesting to know whether bread made with Emmer wheat would affect the blood sugar like the American Dwarf hard wheat.  I also wonder if using sourdough would make any more of a difference.  Baker's yeast Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, is just one strain, whilst sourdough has many kinds of beneficial microbes that all do different things within the dough.  That suggests to me that sourdough would very likely be more nutritious in some way.

Actually, that triggered me to go and have a look online, and the consensus is that sourdough IS more nutritious and better for you overall.

Poor old grains get blamed for a lot of ills, and People out there like Dr. Davis and the Paleo Crowd are constantly spouting how evil it is, and as far as the modern wheat strains go, they may well be right, but they are far removed from the ancient simple protein wheat strains.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 08 2014, 23:49

Isn't it amazing how reading one article can lead you onto reading another ....and another. You end up learning about something you'd not previously heard of.

According to Wiki "Emmer's main use is as a human food, though it is also used for animal feed. Ethnographic evidence from Turkey and other emmer-growing areas suggests that emmer makes good bread (judged by the taste and texture standards of traditional bread), and this is supported by evidence of its widespread consumption as bread in ancient Egypt. Emmer bread is available in Switzerland. In Italy, whole emmer grains can be easily found in most supermarkets and groceries, emmer bread (pane di farro) can be found in bakeries in some areas, and emmer has traditionally been consumed in Tuscany as whole grain in soup. Higher in fiber than common wheat, emmer's use for making pasta is a recent response to the health food market; some consumers[who?], however, judge that emmer pasta has an unattractive texture. Emmer has also been used in beer production. As with most varieties of wheat, however, emmer is probably unsuitable for sufferers from wheat allergies or coeliac disease."

I believe it can be obtained from here http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/

You also mentioned sourdough being more nutritious and better for you overall.....you may well be right. Out at a recent family gathering sourdough was available, I didn't try it, perhaps I should have done. But I'm reliably informed that it does taste delicious far better then 'normal bread'

Having read and said all this ......as I've said previously - all things considered I think I will stick with my LCHF lifestyle, and do my best to stay away from eating too much processed foods.

But it does get the old grey cells thinking ............ sunny

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 02:32