THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
zand
Jan1
graham64
7 posters

Gary Taubes - Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Gary Taubes  - Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis Empty Gary Taubes - Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis

Post by graham64 Sun Dec 07 2014, 21:53

New Taubes lecture.

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Gary Taubes  - Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis Empty Re: Gary Taubes - Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 08 2014, 07:31

Thanks for posting this Graham, think Taubes has been working on this for some time. I'm sure it will be a fascinating watch - just need to find a bit of time - to sit watch and listen. Smile

Jan

flower
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Gary Taubes  - Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis Empty Re: Gary Taubes - Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis

Post by zand Mon Dec 08 2014, 07:37

Yes, thanks for this. I won't have time to watch it until later this week but I will make sure I do Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Dec 09 2014, 09:03

Thanks Graham, lengthy but well worth the time. I much prefer watching this than having to trawl through lengthy scientific papers. He presents clearly and in a way it is easily understood.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Tue Dec 09 2014, 10:05

I'm about halfway through; he does sound like he needs to take a breath though; I'm worried he's going to pass out...

It's very well presented though; lots of little chip,chip,chips at the calories in/calories out dietary orthodoxy that are very hard to discount. And once you accept the points he makes then the calories in/calories out argument cannot stand. That's how to win an argument.

I think it's worth saying though that you can't just discount calories altogether; if you are on a 10,000 calorie butter diet you will put on weight, but it is not as important as the constituent parts of the food you eat.

Best

Dillinger
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Tue Dec 09 2014, 12:23

Dillinger wrote:

I think it's worth saying though that you can't just discount calories altogether; if you are on a 10,000 calorie butter diet you will put on weight, but it is not as important as the constituent parts of the food you eat.

Best

Dillinger

Good point! Some folks who know me will know that I like a drink or 5 drunken and although my drinks of choice are low or zero carbs-they are still laden with calories and those extra calories have resulted in me exceeding 4000 calories some days and hence me not being skinny and having recently gained some love handles so although I don't 100% buy into CICO and "The law of Thermodynamics" that Sid likes to quote for most of his arguments-there is a limit to what you can get away with,especially with metabolism varying so much between individuals.

Cheers

Paul
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Dec 09 2014, 12:57

I don't buy into the CICO baloney. Sure you can become overweight with any food used in excess, but different foods have a massive difference in weight gain and health. Does anyone believe a steak or chicken with fresh non starchy vegetables has the same effect as full sugar Coke and doughnuts, calorie counts equal. Not in a million years. Then you have to look at insulin and BG spikes, then there is the satiety to consider.

My definition of insanity is using insulin or type two medication to cover junk like doughnuts.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Dec 09 2014, 13:45

It's a combination of both. If you eat 2500 calories per day of meat and veg sure your overall wellbeing will be far better than the same calorific content of bread & jam. However, eating 4000 calories a day of meat of veg will still eventually lead to weight gain. What the body doesn't need is stored.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Post by Dillinger Tue Dec 09 2014, 14:33

eddie1 wrote:
    My definition of insanity is using insulin or type two medication to cover junk like doughnuts.

Well, like the man says; carbohydrate is driving insulin which is driving fat.

I think we all want some miracle cure and when I first looked at low-carbing I sort of assumed that reducing carbohydrates was all that mattered; that I could eat 10,000 calories of butter and not put on weight. The truth though is more subtle than that; calories in/calories out is baloney as Taubes shows so well but we are starvation survival machines so if you overeat then your body will store that excess.

To make it easy on yourself try not to overeat and do not eat refined carbs and your weight will normalise.

Best

Dillinger
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Post by Dillinger Tue Dec 09 2014, 14:47

Stone the crows!

Taubes on what happens if you eat 10,000 calories a day from butter!!

I really didn't use that as an example above knowing that he discussed this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BJnszUbkTNE

Best

Dillinger

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06 2024, 22:02