THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Gary Taubes: Diet Advice That Ignores Hunger

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Gary Taubes: Diet Advice That Ignores Hunger Empty Gary Taubes: Diet Advice That Ignores Hunger

Post by graham64 Sun Aug 30 2015, 21:58

TOWARD the end of the Second World War, researchers at the University of Minnesota began a legendary experiment on the psychology and physiology of human starvation — and, thus, on hunger. The subjects were 36 conscientious objectors, some lean, some not. For 24 weeks, these men were semi-starved, fed not quite 1,600 calories a day of foods chosen to represent the fare of European famine areas: “whole-wheat bread, potatoes, cereals and considerable amounts of turnips and cabbage” with “token amounts” of meat and dairy.

As diets go, it was what nutritionists today would consider a low-calorie, and very low-fat diet, with only 17 percent of calories coming from fat.

What happened to these men is a lesson in our ability to deal with caloric deprivation, which means, as well, a lesson in any expectations we might have about most current weight-loss advice, and perhaps particularly the kind that begins with “eat less” and “restrict fat.”

The men lost an average of a pound of body fat a week over the first 12 weeks, but averaged only a quarter-pound per week over the next 12, despite the continued deprivation. And this was not their only physiological reaction. Their extremities swelled; their hair fell out; wounds healed slowly. They felt continually cold; their metabolism slowed.

More troubling were the psychological effects. The men became depressed, lethargic and irritable. They threw tantrums. They lost their libido. They thought obsessively about food, day and night. The Minnesota researchers called this “semi-starvation neurosis.” Four developed “character neurosis.” Two had breakdowns, one with “weeping, talk of suicide and threats of violence.” He was committed to the psychiatric ward. The “personality deterioration” of the other “culminated in two attempts at self-mutilation.” He nearly detached the tip of one finger and later chopped off three with an ax.

When the period of imposed starvation ended, the subjects were allowed to “refeed.” At first they were allowed to eat more calories, but restricted as to how much. A subset under continued observation was then allowed to eat to satiety, which was surprisingly hard to achieve. The men consumed prodigious amounts of food, up to 10,000 calories a day. They regained weight and fat with remarkable rapidity. After 20 weeks of recovery, they averaged 50 percent more body fat than they had when it began — “post-starvation obesity,” the researchers called it.

Implicit in many discussions of how best to lose weight is the assumption that hunger, which is a consequence of caloric deprivation, is not an issue. Health and government organizations tell the obese and overweight, who now make up just over two-thirds of our adult population, to do what the study’s subjects did: Eat less, cut back on calories.

That advice implies that the ensuing hunger will be an easily bearable burden (no depression, lethargy, irritability — no tantrums, please!). And bearable not just for 24 weeks, but a lifetime. The Minnesota experiment tells us that when semi-starvation ends, the refeeding period will not end well.

Read full article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/opinion/diet-advice-that-ignores-hunger.html?_r=0
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Gary Taubes: Diet Advice That Ignores Hunger Empty Re: Gary Taubes: Diet Advice That Ignores Hunger

Post by Indy51 Sun Aug 30 2015, 23:39

Taubes makes perfect sense as per usual.

One of the best things I've found about LCHF is the ability to go without food for longer periods of time without obsessing about it. Gone are the days of snacking, snacking and more snacking on carbage and I don't miss them at all thumb-up
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Gary Taubes: Diet Advice That Ignores Hunger Empty Re: Gary Taubes: Diet Advice That Ignores Hunger

Post by zand Mon Aug 31 2015, 08:12

Yes that was the amazing thing about LCHF for me too. Simply cutting all the big carb items from my menu meant I was no longer hungry and I stopped snacking automatically. It was a joy and a relief to be able to fill my plate with good food and still lose a little weight. I got healthier too. Smile

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Aug 31 2015, 10:43

Don't get too excited Ladies. Don't forget, there has never been a large long term study, on a whole fresh foods diet, straight from the farm or the sea. rofl
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Aug 31 2015, 11:46

lol yeh. As I've said before when it comes to my health if n=1 and I am that one, I don't care about long term studies anyway, if it works for me it works for me. No study will convince me not to believe what I see with my own eyes.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Aug 31 2015, 12:00

The truth is there has been a long term study, it's called evolution and it lasted for millions of years. Then a few years ago man thought he could do a better job, and junk food and big pharma spent countless billions saying man was right.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Aug 31 2015, 20:51

Quite! Having spent a while now immersed in other theories of obesity the best I can manage is that they may apply to other people but they sure as hell don't apply to me.

In retrospect I spent my whole life with the BG, BP and lipids of a fat person while being at low normal weight. The only thing EVER that made me fat was a dietician. By eating the exact opposite of what I was told, I lost the weight and my metabolism started working properly for the first time.

The fact that so many people report the same results, and that SOME research agrees, is enough to cast doubt on the research that DOESN'T agree.

Is there anyone here who HASN'T tried a low fat diet and Eat Less Move More?
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Sep 01 2015, 01:05

chris c wrote:

Well I certainly did! They just slowed my metabolism and made me fatter. If I could go back in time to give my younger self some advice it would be to eat full fat foods and not count calories. Also don't do any more exercise than you feel you can comfortably continue with for life. Oh and don't buy that pretty size 10 skirt, it never could look good on me. Smile
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 01 2015, 21:46

Yup me too, expecially the skirt.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Sep 01 2015, 22:24

chris c wrote:

Yep but only for a short time but I didn't eat less, weight was not a problem. What I did find was I maintained weight easily on low fat but when I switched to LCHF I had to increase my calorie intake because I was losing weight Shocked
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Sep 03 2015, 20:35

Ever thought that when you eat more and don't gain weight, somewhere else someone else is getting fatter and wondering how the hell that happened?

(Concept taken from the Steven Wright joke where he had a light switch on his wall that didn't do anything, so every so often he flipped it on and off a few times, then one day he got a phone call from a German woman who said "Will you stop doing that?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 18:53