THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

How to hold great BG numbers without even trying.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

How to hold great BG numbers without even trying. Empty How to hold great BG numbers without even trying.

Post by Eddie Wed Nov 05 2014, 16:45

I don’t test much these days, usually around six to eight BG tests one day a week. My routine and diet is so firmly set, testing over one day is all I need to do. I am checking and confirming my regime is still working and my system has not gone out of wack. I get 50 test strips per month on prescription, more than enough for my needs, it's a tragedy that too many type two diabetics cannot get any, indeed over the years I have given test strips away to help others who get none. I have thought about cancelling my tests strips, but I fear the day may come when I cannot afford them and once cancelled they will never be reinstated on my monthly prescription. Such is the games we have to play.

Anyway back to great numbers, which today have ranged from 5 to max of 5.4 all day. How was this achieved, by simply fasting, no food at all full stop. I have found it easy. OK you are thinking great but can I starve myself every day, obviously not. This is a great way to see if your pancreas can keep up with your body. If you fast after taking your normal diabetes meds (in my case two 500mg Metformin) and your numbers begin to rise and stay above target, you will know either your meds ain’t making it, or your regime has to be changed.

How many of you try the test every now and again ?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

How to hold great BG numbers without even trying. Empty Re: How to hold great BG numbers without even trying.

Post by mo1905 Wed Nov 05 2014, 18:50

This is a good point Eddie and although I have heard of fasting for basal testing for insulin users, I've never really thought about it for non insulin users. It does make total sense though. How do you know if your metformin or Gliclazide or whatever is actually working and managing your levels if not. I don't fast as often as weekly but it's something I do regularly.

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 07:57