THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
Two Collies
Sharon
RANDBURG
mo1905
8 posters

Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash?

AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash?

Post by AliB Sun Nov 09 2014, 16:46

Like......
    Two Collies
    Two Collies

Male Posts : 133

Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash?

Post by Two Collies Sun Nov 09 2014, 17:33

Jan1 wrote: ... perhaps 'Two Collies' (I'm sure I've read he grew some) or other kind forum member can undertake to grow some for us ?

All the best Jan
    Now that this thread has jogged my memory, I fully intend to sow a packet this coming year! Laughing Laughing
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 10 2014, 22:55

RANDBURG wrote:While walking through a local plant nursery, I came across a packet of Spaghetti Squash, Love to put in a copy of the Packet photo, but I cant seem to load a scanned picture, im not that computer literate.
    Anyhow they got planted on Wed this week in pots ( I'm in South Africa so right time), and expect them up in the next few days.
    So ill keep a running report of the progress, with photos, ( My son will help I hope ), and let you know how things turn out Very Happy

Sounds great Randburg ....can't wait to hear about the progress. Wish you could upload pictures but never mind a description will be great - thanks. Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 10 2014, 22:58

Two Collies wrote:
    Jan1 wrote: ... perhaps 'Two Collies' (I'm sure I've read he grew some) or other kind forum member can undertake to grow some for us ?

All the best Jan
    Now that this thread has jogged my memory, I fully intend to sow a packet this coming year! Laughing Laughing

Hope you do Two Collies ...........now, if I had a vegetable patch  sunny

All the best Jan
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Male Posts : 161

Post by RANDBURG Fri Nov 14 2014, 17:33

The Spaghetti Squash Saga

So day 8 after planting 6 seeds, 4 have emerged, all fine and healthy.
    Moved from the incubator to under shade cloth, to grow on and develop
    Packet said 7 to 14 days germination, so far all going to plan.
    I'm still working on the pictures, My son hopefully will help me over the weekend, so watch out for the next edition
    Regards
    Ps if I can get the photo idea sorted, I can show you some of my other Babies...... Orchids !!
    Been growing them for years as a hobby, and even if I say so myself quite well (Brag) Shocked
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 14 2014, 17:41

RANDBURG wrote:The Spaghetti Squash Saga

So day 8 after planting 6 seeds, 4 have emerged, all fine and healthy.
    Moved from the incubator to under shade cloth, to grow on and develop
    Packet said 7 to 14 days germination, so far all going to plan.
    I'm still working on the pictures, My son hopefully will help me over the weekend, so watch out for the next edition
    Regards
    Ps if I can get the photo idea sorted, I can show you some of my other Babies...... Orchids !!
    Been growing them for years as a hobby, and even if I say so myself quite well (Brag) Shocked

RANDBURG ..... this is great, many thanks.

If your son can get pictures uploaded that would be marvelous......we await and see.

All the best Jan

:flower:sorry no orchids - but a daisy is cheerful
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Sun Nov 16 2014, 08:45

Hi,

Here is one of my orchid babies that I am using as a trial for a photo.  the spaghetti ones will follow.

Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 Img_0911
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Sun Nov 16 2014, 09:32

Behold the Spaghetti squash, Seed packet, and planted seed 8 days later
    Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 100_3110
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Sun Nov 16 2014, 09:37

Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 100_3112
    The seedling
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Nov 16 2014, 14:56

RANDBURG

Love the orchid pictures, I bet you look after 'your babies' very well. I know there are many different colours, shades you can get in the shops .....they look great  Smile

So pleased the Spaghetti Squash seedlings are doing well. It looks as if there may be others coming through well too? sunny

Many thanks for uploading your pictures so we can share

All the best Jan  

flower
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Sun Nov 16 2014, 17:50

I love orchids too. My kitchen windowsill is awash with flowers at the moment. Gorgeous.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Nov 16 2014, 18:58

AliB wrote:I love orchids too.  My kitchen windowsill is awash with flowers at the moment.  Gorgeous.

It's so lovely to have flowers around isn't it ....I never did a flower arranging course - my dear mum did and loved it. I just do my best to display the blooms as best I can.

Back to spaghetti squash looking forward to the progress of Randburgs seedlings.

All the best Jan

flower clap   sorry just had to use one of the new emoticons  sunny
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Mon Dec 01 2014, 16:07

The Saga Continues.
    The plants have now got big enough to go to open ground, so have been planted.
    Hope to see squash developing in the next few weeks
    Very Happy

https://i.servimg.com/u/f59/19/04/18/62/100_3119.jpg
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Dec 01 2014, 16:22

RANDBURG wrote:The Saga Continues.
    Very Happy

Good stuff!! Very Happy It's always satisfying to grow your own produce from seed to the dinner plate...I quite fancy growing some Chile peppers next year along with my usual crop of Tomatoes. Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 01 2014, 18:13

Paul wrote:
    Very Happy

Good stuff!! Very Happy It's always satisfying to grow your own produce from seed to the dinner plate...I quite fancy growing some Chile peppers next year along with my usual crop of Tomatoes. Smile

@Randburg .......so good to see the squash growing well, it's exciting Very Happy

@Paul .....I just love the taste and smell of home grown tomatoes. Let us know if you do decide to grow some Chile Peppers ...sunny

Is anyone else going to home grow any vegetables ?

All the best Jan
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Mon Dec 01 2014, 19:36

Paul wrote:
    Very Happy

I've never been able to grow chillies from seed. Takes ages and they are temperamental little critters. Buy some baby plants instead. We won't tell anyone.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Mon Dec 01 2014, 19:37

Very Happy

Great stuff Very Happy thanks for the update.
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Sat Dec 13 2014, 12:57

The Spaghetti Saga
    We having a fair amount of summer rain, and the Spaghetti squashes are getting bigger, ill post a Picture of the Progress once they start to show signs of Flowers, and fruit.

I the Interim, ive also been growing Baby Marrows, and decided to let one get a bit bigger as I can then make the Spaghetti (from Marrow) easier. They get quite big Very Happy affraid. This is about 47 Cm Long, Guess it will be enough for a few meals
    Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 100_3210
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Dec 13 2014, 13:23

Crikey!! That's MUCH bigger than the Marrows we can buy in the supermarkets in the UK! affraid

Quick question though as it's puzzling me-Are Marrows and Courgettes the same thing? with courgettes just being a small Marrow that's been picked early?
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Sat Dec 13 2014, 14:00

Yup. Courgettes/zucchini are baby marrows.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Dec 13 2014, 14:09

Thanks Ali! Wink
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Sat Dec 13 2014, 14:33

AliB wrote:Yup. Courgettes/zucchini are baby marrows.

Hi Agree, They all the same plant 
    They will grow even bigger if left on the vine, but if you do so they stop producing fruit.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Dec 13 2014, 17:04

RANDBURG wrote:The Spaghetti Saga
    We having a fair amount of summer rain, and the Spaghetti squashes are getting bigger, ill post a Picture of the Progress once they start to show signs of Flowers, and fruit.

I the Interim, ive also been growing Baby Marrows, and decided to let one get a bit bigger as I can then make the Spaghetti (from Marrow) easier. They get quite big Very Happy affraid. This is about 47 Cm Long, Guess it will be enough for a few meals
    Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 100_3210

Hi Randburg ....pleased to hear the spaghetti squash is doing well.

That marrow looks brilliant ...... you must have green fingers as the saying goes sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 31 2015, 13:00

RANDBURG wrote:Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 100_3112
    The seedling

As I'd mentioned spaghetti squash on Check in and Chat  -  thought I'd bump this post up.

flower  sunny   flower

How is the saga going  Question

All the best Jan
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Sat Jan 31 2015, 13:50

Hi Jan,
    Going very well, we have been having nice thunder showers almost every afternoon, quite normal for this time of the year and everything is growing well.
    With regard to the Spaghetti squash its growing well, about 10 foot longvine now and setting fruit. Hopefully first ready in 2-3 weeks.
    Herewith a picture of one,
    Has anyone seen any spaghetti squash? - Page 2 100_3214

Last edited by RANDBURG on Sat Jan 31 2015, 13:51; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 16:24