THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Paul1976
Andy12345
graham64
Avocado Sevenfold
zand
Jan1
10 posters

So much action I'm falling apart

semiphonic
    semiphonic

Male Posts : 10

So much action I'm falling apart - Page 4 Empty Re: So much action I'm falling apart

Post by semiphonic Sun Oct 19 2014, 01:10

Can't reply to that either (can't find a 'grumpy' face either)

Yes, diet wars bore the living day lights out of me too.......
    semiphonic
    semiphonic

So much action I'm falling apart - Page 4 Empty Re: So much action I'm falling apart

Post by semiphonic Sun Oct 19 2014, 01:12

You know we're actually having a grown up conversation on this forum? Maybe the first of many.....
    semiphonic
    semiphonic

Post by semiphonic Sun Oct 19 2014, 01:43

+100 (just realised how to reply...)
    Indy51 wrote:
    semiphonic wrote:I signed up when this forum started but this is my first post here, so be gentle with me Very Happy

This thread seems to me to be the reason that newbies aren't signing up.

What has happened on the 'other forum' to members here is totally wrong (for the record).

The original post was about a lack of activity but it degenerated into a name calling and slanging match, many of the threads here do. Ask yourself this, if you were a newbie/guest on this forum, would you look at that and stick around? If you came across this forum would you know what was going on?? I know many of you here so I know your arguments, and whether I agree with them or not is irrelevant.

What's trying to be done here is admirable, what actually happens is really quite a shame. 

I always try and advocate peace wherever I am, at work, in the pub, on the 'other' forum, I turn the other cheek quite a bit Crying or Very sad, go me...... Maybe members here should too? 

By the way, I googled 'low carb diabetic' and the website was top of the list, if that's too specific ShockedEmbarassed maybe review the meta tags for the site....
    +1 and hear, hear.

I really think all this bitching about the other forum is counterproductive if you're looking to attract new members - if someone finds this forum on a google search or whatever, they may never have heard about DCUK and be totally confused by some people's seeming obsession with the place.

Since you've decided not to have a private messaging system (which I agree with), then maybe set up a separate, invisible, invitation only forum for ex DCUK members who want a place to talk among themselves without involving general members and newcomers?

Having been involved in forum moderation (in another interest) for several years, that would be my suggestion - a private area for moderators and their invited guests. In my experience, it works well and it keeps the dirty laundry out of the public arena and won't confuse newcomers with the "cliquey" atmosphere this place seems to have developed in a very short space of time.

JMHO.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Oct 19 2014, 02:09

Hi Semiphonic

Thank you for gracing our humble blog, and the warmest of welcomes to you. Please excuse my Wifes “robotic” welcome to you, it was around midnight and she was tired, but wanted to say a few words of welcome, as she does to every new member, albeit it took you some time to make your first post. I am sorry you appear to have such a low opinion of our forum and that you found the quote button difficult to use. BTW Jan is not a diabetic and has worked tirelessly posting recipes, words of encouragement, in short (I admit I am highly biased) a total asset to this forum.

Now, I believe in freedom of speech and feel free to post whatever you like, whenever you like, subject to our few forum rules. Talking of quotes earlier, let me quote you from another forum.

“A few weeks ago I realised I was turning into the type of person I avoid on the forum and I was becoming a bit obnoxious. I sincerely apologise to anyone that I offended. I'm happy to say, that after a period of self-imposed quarantine, normal service has been resumed”

So, a quick re-cap. You join our forum on the 14th of August, you wait two months to make your first post, and open up with a rant against this forum. You are greeted almost immediately, and you reply in a snide manner. From your own admission elsewhere you can be “obnoxious” no argument there, not the most auspicious start to your time here, I am sure you would agree.

So, if you want to carry on posting here, please may I ask you to show some civility to the members, thank you. As for me, feel free to take me on whenever you wish, I relish the chance of some robust debate with you, and look forward to you thrilling me with your acumen.

Kind regards Eddie
    semiphonic
    semiphonic

Post by semiphonic Sun Oct 19 2014, 03:06

Why would you attack me with my first post Eddie? Humble blog? This is a good forum! I draw your attention to my first post. I apologise if I upset you or your wife, the response seemed to be an automated response, clearly I was wrong and for that I sincerely apologise.

I do NOT have a low opinion of this forum, yes I found the quote button difficult to use, more than likely user error (or iPad inefficiencies)!!! I have no adverse feelings towards Jan whatsoever, I'm absolutely sure that both she, and you, contribute an awful lot to this, and other, forums.

Well done for copying and pasting my quote from the other forum! What exactly is your point here? I identified that I wasn't being particularly pleasant and I, hopefully, assuaged any current or future problems. I did not at any point attack, or imply any issues from this forum.

As I stated in my post, I stick my head around the door on this forum fairly regularly, if you think my first post is a rant, well that maybe says more about you than it does about me? What was I ranting about? I had a valid point to make and I made it fairly, I even got a +1. 

At what point was I not showing some civility to the members? At what point did I disrespect you? Or the forum? Or what you are striving for? For crying out loud, I'M A LOW CARBER!!! But you would know that as you're so adept at copying and pasting....

I do want to carry on posting here Eddie, but I'm quite sure I wouldn't be welcome, I'm not the enemy, I'm not 'from the dark side' there are people on your forum who would tell you as much. 

I wish you all the very best, a great welcome to a new poster with an opinion by the way.......

My acumen was clearly not good enough.
    eddie1 wrote:Hi Semiphonic

Thank you for gracing our humble blog, and the warmest of welcomes to you. Please excuse my Wifes “robotic” welcome to you, it was around midnight and she was tired, but wanted to say a few words of welcome, as she does to every new member, albeit it took you some time to make your first post. I am sorry you appear to have such a low opinion of our forum and that you found the quote button difficult to use. BTW Jan is not a diabetic and has worked tirelessly posting recipes, words of encouragement, in short (I admit I am highly biased) a total asset to this forum.

Now, I believe in freedom of speech and feel free to post whatever you like, whenever you like, subject to our few forum rules. Talking of quotes earlier, let me quote you from another forum.

“A few weeks ago I realised I was turning into the type of person I avoid on the forum and I was becoming a bit obnoxious. I sincerely apologise to anyone that I offended. I'm happy to say, that after a period of self-imposed quarantine, normal service has been resumed”

So, a quick re-cap. You join our forum on the 14th of August, you wait two months to make your first post, and open up with a rant against this forum. You are greeted almost immediately, and you reply in a snide manner. From your own admission elsewhere you can be “obnoxious” no argument there, not the most auspicious start to your time here, I am sure you would agree.

So, if you want to carry on posting here, please may I ask you to show some civility to the members, thank you. As for me, feel free to take me on whenever you wish, I relish the chance of some robust debate with you, and look forward to you thrilling me with your acumen.

Kind regards Eddie
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Sun Oct 19 2014, 07:10

Hi semi welcome, I'm afraid I agree with Eddie, your first post should not be a rant about what you dislike, also your response to Jans welcome was at best rude Sad I was shocked at your response, and why people that don't post here think they can tell us what we should say is beyond me, vote with your feet and don't let the door hit you, DCUK NHS DUK MI5 and everything else written In capitals is fair game, there are lots of very experienced people here that would be very welcoming to a newly diagnosed person and ready to help at the drop of a hat, the fact we chat amongst ourselves in the mean time about common interests and grieviences is clearly what we want to be talking about or we wouldn't be, this is not as politically correct as other head patting forums (am I allowed to say that?) I find it insulting being told what I can say or not all the damn time, either I get banned or I say what I think, that's my two options, I don't want to fight or insult anyone and will avoid doing that,

Eddie may not be everyone's cup of tea but, he works very hard and very long hours promoting LCHF which I believe is a life changing lifestyle for most so I believe what he does on here, he's blog, websites etc etc etc is admirable, does he do it for personal gain? No, so the people sitting in the background jumping in and out when they have five minutes to spare os sit liking or reporting people not posting and not getting involved should keep doing what they are doing and stop knocking the hardest working low carb warrior out there
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Oct 19 2014, 08:39

semiphonic wrote:Such a robotic reply, where's the human touch? 

This forum is very unwelcoming, obviously just my opinion, if I was a newbie here would anyone help or would I just be told that other forums are bad.

I just deleted so much of what I actually wanted to say, I was being quite specific too.

For this forum to work it must be welcoming, what has happened in the past must stay there, in the past. 

Maybe a "welcome to the low carb forum" is in order.....
    You received a very warm welcome from Jan in my opinion and your reply was quite rude. Instead of a "welcome to the low carb forum" you should have possibly tried to introduce yourself a little better. Yes there is a bit of banter here but I'd rather that than being frightened to say anything at DCUK for fear of lifetime ban. Take care, Mo
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sun Oct 19 2014, 08:58

Andy12345 wrote:Hi semi welcome, I'm afraid I agree with Eddie, your first post should not be a rant about what you dislike, also your response to Jans welcome was at best rude Sad I was shocked at your response, and why people that don't post here think they can tell us what we should say is beyond me, vote with your feet and don't let the door hit you, DCUK NHS DUK MI5 and everything else written In capitals is fair game, there are lots of very experienced people here that would be very welcoming to a newly diagnosed person and ready to help at the drop of a hat, the fact we chat amongst ourselves in the mean time about common interests and grieviences is clearly what we want to be talking about or we wouldn't be, this is not as politically correct as other head patting forums (am I allowed to say that?) I find it insulting being told what I can say or not all the damn time, either I get banned or I say what I think, that's my two options, I don't want to fight or insult anyone and will avoid doing that,

Eddie may not be everyone's cup of tea but, he works very hard and very long hours promoting LCHF which I believe is a life changing lifestyle for most so I believe what he does on here, he's blog, websites etc etc etc is admirable, does he do it for personal gain? No, so the people sitting in the background jumping in and out when they have five minutes to spare os sit liking or reporting people not posting and not getting involved should keep doing what they are doing and stop knocking the hardest working low carb warrior out there

I agree with what you say Andy. I think the point semiphonic was trying to make was that this is a great site, Eddie is the hardest low carb warrior out there but surely the fight is to spread the word to newbies. If newbies are scared of joining this forum then they will go elsewhere, and that is self-defeating. They will get bad information as well as good elsewhere.

I like Indy's suggestion of a private area to discuss 'other forum' issues. If you do set one up please invite me to join it! lol

If any of you are in any doubt as to where I stand, I want to make it clear that I love this forum and all the people on it. I am grateful for everyone's hard work in setting it up.

Thank you to Eddie and everyone else.
    semiphonic
    semiphonic

Post by semiphonic Sun Oct 19 2014, 11:38

I appear to have upset people here, I assure all of you that that was not my intention. I honestly thought that the reply from Jan was an automated response, I was very clearly wrong, and I apologise for being rude. 

I wasn't trying to tell anyone what they can or can't say, I was just trying to give my opinion on why I think new members stay away. I obviously did this very badly, again I apologise.

I don't have a bad word to say about anyone on this forum, I've learnt so much from all of you, I think maybe it would be better if I stayed away, it wasn't my intention to cause any problems. Please feel free to delete my posts.

Apologies again for causing offence.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Oct 19 2014, 11:43

semiphonic wrote:I appear to have upset people here, I assure all of you that that was not my intention. I honestly thought that the reply from Jan was an automated response, I was very clearly wrong, and I apologise for being rude. 

I wasn't trying to tell anyone what they can or can't say, I was just trying to give my opinion on why I think new members stay away. I obviously did this very badly, again I apologise.

I don't have a bad word to say about anyone on this forum, I've learnt so much from all of you, I think maybe it would be better if I stayed away, it wasn't my intention to cause any problems. Please feel free to delete my posts.

No need to stay away at all. You have apologised for a mistake and as far as I'm concerned, that's it. We're a friendly lot here ( usually lol ) and we've all probably posted something in the past that, in hindsight, wished we hadn't. Let's just put this behind us and start again.
    Welcome to the forum semi-phonic, tell us a little about yourself !
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Oct 19 2014, 12:59

Semiphonic

You have had your say and I have had mine. You have apologised I offer you an apology. Let's shake hands and start afresh. We both have better ways to spend our time than arguing with each other, we are both low carbers and fighting for the cause is what it's all about. I will do my best to not let your support of West Ham cloud my judgement in future.

Regards Eddie
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sun Oct 19 2014, 13:01

Yes Semiphonic - come back and enjoy the fact that West Ham are above Arsenal in the league Sad
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Oct 19 2014, 13:04

semiphonic wrote:I appear to have upset people here, I assure all of you that that was not my intention. I honestly thought that the reply from Jan was an automated response, I was very clearly wrong, and I apologise for being rude. 

Hi and welcome to the forum from me as well! Smile

I agree with others,please don't feel you're not welcome here and misunderstandings happen all the time on the internet,so please feel free to post and as Mo says,we're a friendly bunch really. Smile

Best wishes

Paul

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 23:11