THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Antidepressants could stave off dementia

yoly
    yoly

Antidepressants could stave off dementia Empty Antidepressants could stave off dementia

Post by yoly Tue Oct 16 2018, 10:19

Interactions of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors with β-Amyloid

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acschemneuro.8b00160

Abstract

Treating Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is a major challenge at the moment with no new drugs available to cure this devastating neurodegenerative disorder. In this regard, drug repurposing, which aims to determine novel therapeutic usage for drugs already approved by the regulatory agencies, is a pragmatic approach to discover novel treatment strategies. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are a known class of United States Food and Drug Administration approved drugs used in the treatment of depression. We investigated the ability of SSRIs fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, and escitalopram on Aβ42 aggregation and fibrillogenesis. Remarkably, the aggregation kinetic experiments carried out demonstrate the anti-Aβ42 aggregation activity of SSRIs fluoxetine, paroxetine, and sertraline at all the tested concentrations (1, 10, 50, and 100 μM). Both fluoxetine and paroxetine were identified as the most promising SSRIs, showing 74.8 and 76% inhibition of Aβ42 aggregation at 100 μM. The transmission electron microscopy experiments and dot-blot study also demonstrate the ability of fluoxetine and paroxetine to prevent Aβ42 aggregation and fibrillogenesis, providing further evidence. Investigating the binding interactions of fluoxetine and paroxetine in the Aβ42 oligomer and fibril models derived from the solid-state NMR structure suggests that these SSRIs interact at a region close to the N-terminal (Lys16–Glu22) in the S-shaped cross-β-strand assembly and reduce Aβ42 fibrillogenesis. On the basis of this study, a pharmacophore model is proposed which shows that the minimum structural requirements to design novel Aβ42 aggregation inhibitors include the presence of one ionizable group, one hydrophobic group, two aromatic rings, and two hydrogen bond donor groups. These studies demonstrate that SSRIs have the potential to prevent Aβ42 aggregation by direct binding and could be beneficial to AD patients on SSRIs.
    yoly
    yoly

Antidepressants could stave off dementia Empty Re: Antidepressants could stave off dementia

Post by yoly Tue Oct 16 2018, 10:23

(The study idea is not new. But antidepressants have a lot of side effects.)

December 02, 2015
    Antidepressants May Protect Against Neurotoxic Compounds, Dementia

An antidepressant medication has been found to also protect against memory loss and dementia, according to a study published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research.

The study reveals how depression can trigger inflammatory responses in the immune system, as the immune system fights against depression as it would a disease or infection. Over time this tension can cause chronic inflammation and produce neurotoxic compounds. These compounds can destroy brain cells and lead to memory loss and dementia if the depression is not treated.

The study compared 30 severely depressed patients with 27 healthy subjects. Each participant was monitored for 12 weeks and each depressed patient was given a course of the antidepressant escitalopram.

The researchers measured the level of 9 substances in blood secreted by the immune system. At baseline, blood levels of these substances, especially hsCRP, TNFα, IL6 and MCP1, were higher in the depressed patients than in the healthy individuals. These levels dropped significantly in patients treated with escitalopram. The levels of 3-hydroxykynurenine fell by over two-thirds between the 8th and 12th week and the level of quinolinic acid dropped by 50%.

The authors of the study stress that the small number of subjects limits their findings, but it should inspire further studies that involve a larger number of participants.
    Reference

Halaris A, Myint AM, Savant V, et al. Does escitalopram reduce neurotoxicity in major depression?. J Psychiatr Res. 2015;66-67:118-26.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Antidepressants could stave off dementia Empty Re: Antidepressants could stave off dementia

Post by graham64 Tue Oct 16 2018, 21:25

Can't prove it but I believe antidepressants were the cause of my diabetes, I had no other markers that could explain the reason for my diagnosis.

Type 2 Diabetes and Antidepressant Drug Use: Is There a Causal Link?

https://www.endocrinologyadvisor.com/type-2-diabetes/antidepressant-drugs-type-2-diabetes-risk/article/685533/

Antidepressant Medication as a Risk Factor for Type 2 Diabetes and Impaired Glucose Regulation

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/10/3337
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 17 2018, 22:57

Colour me suspicious too. Antidepressants, especially SSRIs, are so commonly used that it would be interesting to correlate increased prescription with the increase in Alzheimers rather than the opposite.

I'm even more suspicious that depression "causes" inflammation, what I've read suggests that the inflammation causes depression. I'd be happy to be proved wrong but this looks like a marketing exercise.

FWIW I was on and off antidepressants most of my life, originally tricyclics and later Venlafaxine. I was only on Paroxetine (Seroxat, SSRI) briefly, it didn't do much which suggests serotonin was not my problem. Purely by coincidence of course I came off it shortly after starting to low carb (I dialled the dose down slowly) and the depression never returned. I am pretty sure it was caused by the rapid drops in BG producing cortisol, epinephrine, norepinephrine and others in an attempt to jack my BG back up. Since the BG no longer spikes it doesn't drop much either. Certainly not three times a day or more with all those "essential" carbs.
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Wed Oct 24 2018, 21:07

(complete list and problems with them)
    What Are Psychotropic Drugs? Its Types, History & Statistics

https://draxe.com/what-are-psychotropic-drugs/

Just two weeks later, the same manufacturer now tasked with adding additional warnings to fluoxetine labels (Eli Lilly) agreed to pay $690 million, settling over 8,000 claims about olanzapine (brand name Zyprexa®️). These claims alleged the drug was causing life-threatening diabetes. As of January 2009, they had settled over 30,000 claims, paying out $1.2 billion. (20) Also in January 2009, the U.S. Department of Justice fined Eli Lilly $515 million in a criminal fine (the largest ever criminal fine of this kind) and up to $800 million civil settlement for promoting the same medication for “off-label uses” (meaning those not approved by the FDA). (21)
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Oct 25 2018, 22:57

They all have their uses in specific conditions, but then they are marketed to everyone else.

I have a suspicion that "depression" evolved via hibernation (SAD) it would be advantageous to turn down both physical and mental activities while food was scarce.

Also it would have been advantageous to evolve a mechanism to store a glut of food for the winter - insulin resistance. I remember a cynical comment that antidepressants tend to produce weight gain, or weight loss, depending which you least need. Actually the more the drugs are targeted on serotonin the more they are likely to produce weight gain, the more dopamine the more weight loss. A complex pattern.

Curious how depression is yet another thing that became far more widespread since low fat diets were invented. There are so many eh?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 18:10