THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Silver Darlings

chris c
    chris c

Silver Darlings Empty Silver Darlings

Post by chris c Thu Oct 04 2018, 22:12

are back!

I have two herrings and I'm going to eat one shortly, probably with some spinach and buttered oatcakes. I didn't eat them already because of the giant rump steak, the sausages, the chicken breast and a few other goodies.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Silver Darlings Empty Re: Silver Darlings

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 05 2018, 18:40

"Herring is the silver darling of the sea
    The herring kept children supplied with vital omega-3 oils and Vitamin D

Now is the time of the silver darlings — the final bloom of the herring season. It’s the mark of a good food outlet — restaurant or shop — that they know this and are selling them. The fish are plump with roe and “melt” — the male equivalent — and they are deliciously complex in taste, like a sophisticated mackerel."

Words above from here
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/herring-is-the-silver-darling-of-the-sea-wmkdrr5g3qh

Words below from here
    boroughmarket.org.uk/articles/silver-darlings

"They used to be all we ate. They were the most popular protein for millions and millions of people in these isles, plucked from the icy waters, smoked, salted, devoured, providing life-giving sustenance to the poor and an entire industry to hundreds of villages and ports on the south-west coast of England and the east coast of Scotland.

Take tiny Clovelly, for example: fisherman have trawled the seas here for at least a thousand years and at the height of the herring trade in the 18th and 19th centuries, there were 100 boats based at the north Devon port, fishing for those beautiful silver darlings. In 1814, 3.6 million herring were landed, with every man in the village employed in the trade until just over a hundred years ago.

I love the poetry and the history but it’s the taste that really makes me want to shake you by the lapels and make you eat more herring. No, it’s not ‘too fishy’ or ‘too bony’ or whatever reason it was that made us as a nation fill our boots with fishfingers and forget our silver darlings. Try writing poetry about a fishfinger.

More to the point, try eating one and then some of my fresh Sussex herrings, caught on a day boat yesterday, filleted by me today and fried in butter and bacon fat with a golden crust of oats. Try them and tell me that we, in our neglect of herrings haven’t committed an act of culinary, cultural and historical vandalism of which we should all be a little bit ashamed."

…...

Now, if you should be near Clovelly this November it's the … Clovelly Herring Festival on November 18, 2018

Clovelly Herring Festival always falls in November. It’s the time of year when our historic village celebrates the coming of the great “Silver Darlings” better known as Herring. We celebrate and promote this tasty, nutritious fish whilst supporting sustainable fishing.

The village always depended on the harvest of herring.  Caught in superb condition for a short season off this coast. Hence records go back over 400 years and in 1749. Then there were about a hundred herring boats in the port.  When fishing was good, 9000 herring could be landed at one time. Those days of massive catches are long gone. These days we have just two herring fishermen, both employing sustainable fishing methods using only drift nets and long lines.

https://www.clovelly.co.uk/events/clovelly-herring-festival/

I find all this quite fascinating - so thank you Chris for mentioning Silver Darlings

All the best Jan
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Sun Oct 07 2018, 14:46

Jan1 wrote:"Herring is the silver darling of the sea
    The herring kept children supplied with vital omega-3 oils and Vitamin D

Now is the time of the silver darlings — the final bloom of the herring season. It’s the mark of a good food outlet — restaurant or shop — that they know this and are selling them. The fish are plump with roe and “melt” — the male equivalent — and they are deliciously complex in taste, like a sophisticated mackerel."

Words above from here
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/herring-is-the-silver-darling-of-the-sea-wmkdrr5g3qh

Words below from here
    boroughmarket.org.uk/articles/silver-darlings

"They used to be all we ate. They were the most popular protein for millions and millions of people in these isles, plucked from the icy waters, smoked, salted, devoured, providing life-giving sustenance to the poor and an entire industry to hundreds of villages and ports on the south-west coast of England and the east coast of Scotland.

Take tiny Clovelly, for example: fisherman have trawled the seas here for at least a thousand years and at the height of the herring trade in the 18th and 19th centuries, there were 100 boats based at the north Devon port, fishing for those beautiful silver darlings. In 1814, 3.6 million herring were landed, with every man in the village employed in the trade until just over a hundred years ago.

I love the poetry and the history but it’s the taste that really makes me want to shake you by the lapels and make you eat more herring. No, it’s not ‘too fishy’ or ‘too bony’ or whatever reason it was that made us as a nation fill our boots with fishfingers and forget our silver darlings. Try writing poetry about a fishfinger.

More to the point, try eating one and then some of my fresh Sussex herrings, caught on a day boat yesterday, filleted by me today and fried in butter and bacon fat with a golden crust of oats. Try them and tell me that we, in our neglect of herrings haven’t committed an act of culinary, cultural and historical vandalism of which we should all be a little bit ashamed."

…...

Now, if you should be near Clovelly this November it's the … Clovelly Herring Festival on November 18, 2018

Clovelly Herring Festival always falls in November. It’s the time of year when our historic village celebrates the coming of the great “Silver Darlings” better known as Herring. We celebrate and promote this tasty, nutritious fish whilst supporting sustainable fishing.

The village always depended on the harvest of herring.  Caught in superb condition for a short season off this coast. Hence records go back over 400 years and in 1749. Then there were about a hundred herring boats in the port.  When fishing was good, 9000 herring could be landed at one time. Those days of massive catches are long gone. These days we have just two herring fishermen, both employing sustainable fishing methods using only drift nets and long lines.

https://www.clovelly.co.uk/events/clovelly-herring-festival/

I find all this quite fascinating - so thank you Chris for mentioning Silver Darlings

All the best Jan

Are they strong tasting like fresh Mackerel, Jan?
    I de bone Mackerel and fry them in butter.
    regards
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Oct 07 2018, 22:52

No they have a comparatively subtle flavour. I do them under the grill, doesn't take long.

Had the second one today, with toasted almonds, buttered oatcakes and Carmenere (red wine with fish, I must be some kind of pleb)

Both had hard roes which is good - today's roe was massive.

Hopefully there will be more on the van tomorrow. Then there's just the pheasants, brussels sprouts, chestnuts and purple sprouting broccoli to go.

Herring season was short last year but I had several kippers and bloaters, both far more strongly flavoured.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 10 2018, 22:27

There was a local TV programme a while back about the herring fleet in Great Yarmouth, you could almost walk across the harbour over the fishing boats. Then there were the Scottish fishwives who came down to gut them. And punch-ups in the local pub. All gone now, well except for the punch-ups.

Sadly no more herrings this week so I bought salmon and smoked haddock. Just had the latter with toasted almonds and lashings of butter.

The good news is the first purple sprouting broccoli just turned up. I ate a load with a giant rump steak and have more or later. Still some runner beans so I don't get bored.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 11 2018, 18:14

"The good news is the first purple sprouting broccoli just turned up" …

I must look out for some.
    I bought some 'Tenderstem' broccoli today which we shall enjoy with a mini roast chicken dish later …

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Oct 14 2018, 23:29

It was a bit expensive, but delicious. IMO stronger flavoured than the tenderstem. Keeping my fingers crossed to see what's on the fish van tomorrow.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Oct 22 2018, 22:41

Yay! More herrings this week! Earlier I had grilled sausages with broccoli. There's just enough space left for a herring later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content