The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Silver Darlings

chris c

Silver Darlings

Post by chris c on Mon Nov 07 2016, 20:41

What we call herrings.

I forgot to mention the fish van had them last week and I bought two. Lightly grilled with toasted almonds and a thickly buttered oatcake, delish!

Sadly he didn't have any today.
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4026

Re: Silver Darlings

Post by Jan1 on Mon Nov 07 2016, 23:07

@chris c wrote:What we call herrings.

I forgot to mention the fish van had them last week and I bought two. Lightly grilled with toasted almonds and a thickly buttered oatcake, delish!

Sadly he didn't have any today.

Lightly grilled with toasted almonds ... does sound delish!

I had to have a read around about silver darlings and came across this article !

"Silver Darlings are hallmark of fishing heritage
    A small silver creature is swimming back into the hearts – and stomachs – of a seaside town where it once fed a fishing boom.
    The humble herring is woven into the history of Great Yarmouth, where millions of them were hauled ashore by a fleet of “drifter” boats that filled the harbour. By the early 20th century the fishing grounds off Great Yarmouth were the most productive in the world and the port was the most important in the country.

That fleet is now down to a handful, but the fish – known as Silver Darlings – are again proving a popular, healthy dish that provides an authentic taste of the area's seafaring heritage.

Visitors and locals alike savour them at special festivals and events staged during the year, harking back to the 1100s when the port was home to a herring fair attracting merchants from all over Europe.

Fisherman Paul Williams is one of the remaining herring fishermen, who nets, catches, smokes them into kippers, and sells them – four or six for £1 depending on supplies – at the family's wet fish shop in town.
    A lot of people enjoyed them as a local delicacy, and they were bought by local hotels for the breakfast menu, he said:

“Most of our customers are 50-plus, but youngsters also tuck into them at festivals where they outsell burgers twice over.
    “We just need to find more ways of promoting them,” added Mr Williams, whose father worked on the drifters. His favourite way of enjoying a herring is “fried in dripping with salt, vinegar and bread” and he added: “Great Yarmouth herring taste the best.”

Lots more to read here
    http://www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/press-releases/silver-darlings.aspx

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Nov 09 2016, 18:18

Allegedly once you could walk right across the harbour from boat to boat. Not today Sad
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4026

Post by Jan1 on Thu Nov 10 2016, 18:17

@chris c wrote:Allegedly once you could walk right across the harbour from boat to boat. Not today Sad

Times change / evolve and not always for the best!

Interesting to read too that the Great Yarmouth's herring heritage goes back to just after the the Norman Conquest in 1066.
    How good is that!

http://www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/press-releases/silver-darlings.aspx

Now ... talking of fish we are having a fish pie dish tonight - well why not!

Easy Bake White Fish With Leeks and Cheese Recipe

see recipe and further information here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/interesting-nutrition-facts-about-fish.html

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Nov 16 2016, 21:40

Yay! The herrings were back this week, I polished one off last night and it had an enormous hard roe which I love.

I remember when I was young, because my father and I liked hard roe and my mother liked soft roe, I was convinced the hard roe came from the male fish.

Obviously I hadn't properly understood heterosexuality yet.

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25 2017, 21:48