THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
mo1905
Eddie
graham64
AliB
Jan1
Indy51
10 posters

Prof Taylor on Reversing Diabetes

Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Prof Taylor on Reversing Diabetes Empty Prof Taylor on Reversing Diabetes

Post by Indy51 Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:50

Lecture in association with Diabetes UK

Free admission, no pre-booking required

Date: 4th November 2014

Time: 17:30 - 18:45

Venue: Curtis Auditorium, Herschel Building

Type 2 diabetes has long been regarded as a lifelong, irreversible, condition. New techniques developed at Newcastle University have, however, made it clearer why the condition develops, and how best to treat it. It has also become clear why some individuals can develop Type 2 diabetes without being overweight or obese. This new, personal understanding of the commonest metabolic disease could revolutionise its management.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Prof Taylor on Reversing Diabetes Empty Re: Prof Taylor on Reversing Diabetes

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 09 2014, 09:13

Indy51 wrote:Lecture in association with Diabetes UK

Free admission, no pre-booking required

Date: 4th November 2014

Time: 17:30 - 18:45

Venue: Curtis Auditorium, Herschel Building

Type 2 diabetes has long been regarded as a lifelong, irreversible, condition. New techniques developed at Newcastle University have, however, made it clearer why the condition develops, and how best to treat it. It has also become clear why some individuals can develop Type 2 diabetes without being overweight or obese. This new, personal understanding of the commonest metabolic disease could revolutionise its management.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

Many thanks for this info Indy Smile

All the best Jan
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Thu Oct 09 2014, 13:26

I hope someone records it and puts it on YouTube.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Oct 09 2014, 22:42

New techniques developed at Newcastle University have, however, made it clearer why the condition develops, and how best to treat it. It has also become clear why some individuals can develop Type 2 diabetes without being overweight or obese. 

This is the part that interests me as I was normal weight at diagnosis.

Thanks Indie

Graham
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Oct 09 2014, 23:02

I have a theory about Prof.Taylor and that is he is full of shit ! Good grief I here you say who the f**k are you to comment on the great man ! Well how about this. On every diabetic forum in the world people have been talking about the wonders of a low carb diet for diabetics. My Guru Dr. Richard Bernstein was on the case decades ago. Taylor has been pushing a starvation diet for the last few years that included a very high percentage of daily diet to carbs, the guy is out to lunch, and it ain't low carb.

Never ever confuse education or academic qualifications with intelligence. Over to you Roy, make my day.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Oct 10 2014, 07:03

I looked at the Newcastle diet again this week .. I found it contained around 75g carbs for the 800 calories. I had been tempted to try this diet as I have lots of weight to lose, but that's way too many carbs for so few calories for me. So the people it worked for must have been consuming lots of carbs in the first place. I believe it's a much better option for some than the bariatric band though, but it's not for me.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Oct 10 2014, 08:38

Is there any scope for movement on this Zand or are those numbers set in stone ? Can you possibly partake on a reduced calorie diet with a modified number of carbs ?
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Oct 10 2014, 08:46

Well that was the carb content of the meal replacement sachets and veggies required. I was just interested in a meal replacement diet temporarily because I am struggling to cook decent food for myself right now. I have played around with reduced calorie diets before and found that I lost more weight consuming 1200 cals than when I had 800 cals, so I won't be restricting them so harshly again.

I'm am returning to 'proper' LCHF shortly (less than 30g carbs), with no calorie restriction to see if this suits me now. Any tips on how I can get enough fibre would be gratefully received, because that was the biggest problem I had before, so I upped the carbs to 50-60g for a long time and that was better. I now know I need to drink a lot more water than I did in the past too.
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Fri Oct 10 2014, 14:40

Lots of veggies, Zand.

Soup, smoothies, salads. You can make vaggie soups tasty by combining them with chicken or turkey.

I find the only way to keep 'things' moving well is veggies.

Sometimes I juice the veg and use the 'waste' as the basis for soup. A couple of Knorr stock cubes or a spoonful of Marigold Swiss Veg Bouillon (most supermarkets sell it in small pots, but your local health shop should sell larger tubs or can get it for you. i use it all the time, and make savoury drinks with it too so I buy the large tubs for £5.75 or thereabouts), adds to the flavour. Give it a whizz and add a knob of butter and dash of cream. Delish.

Another nice soup is three or four courgettes sliced into enough water to cover. Chop an onion and add. Cook for abou 15 mins. Add seasoning and flavouring as you like, and whizz. Makes a lovely creamy soup.

I think eating more is always better than eating less. Restricting calories sends the body into starvation mode so it hangs on to everything for dear life. Having said that, quality will always trounce quantity. People eat a lot of food these days, but it's very often a high-calorie starvation diet. Starvation isn't down to low calorific intake, it's down to low nutritional intake - or absorption.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 10 2014, 18:13

Re: Fibre ......Some very good suggestions here Ali.

I think vegetables definitely and how about flaxseed? Pizza bases made with flaxseed, flaxseed bread etc. Not too sure if just sprinkling flaxseed has the same effect?

I think what you say "Starvation isn't down to low calorific intake, it's down to low nutritional intake - or absorption. " could well be true. It's what goes into the body, it has to be sustainable, it has to be our lifestyle choice.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 10 2014, 19:27

Just a thought!

Talking about Fibre ....Have a read through the thread "Fibre - where do you stand? It's in the Low Carb Questions and Discussions Section

May be helpful ............. sunny

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Oct 10 2014, 19:45

Thanks you two, that's lots of helpful advice for me, when I have the energy and brain power to work on it (I'm on stronger anti-depressants right now, so my brain has been zapped for a while.) I'll let you know how I get on. Smile
    Bode
    Bode

Female Posts : 21

Post by Bode Fri Oct 10 2014, 21:37

I know I have heard some people drink a cup of salt water or broth in the morning to get "things" moving along. I am lucky that my body handles low carb really well, most of the time.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Oct 10 2014, 22:04

Bode wrote:I know I have heard some people drink a cup of salt water or broth in the morning to get "things" moving along.  I am lucky that my body handles low carb really well, most of the time.

Well unfortunately my body didn't first time round, but it is the best way to lose weight, so now I'm trying to pluck up the courage to try again. If the cup of salt water helps I'll do it! - anything not to suffer like last time......I won't go into details!
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Sat Nov 08 2014, 00:40

Two Collies
    Two Collies

Male Posts : 133

Post by Two Collies Sat Nov 08 2014, 08:17

eddie1 wrote:I have a theory about Prof.Taylor and that is he is full of shit ! Good grief I here you say who the f**k are you to comment on the great man ! Well how about this. On every diabetic forum in the world people have been talking about the wonders of a low carb diet for diabetics. My Guru Dr. Richard Bernstein was on the case decades ago. Taylor has been pushing a starvation diet for the last few years that included a very high percentage of daily diet to carbs, the guy is out to lunch, and it ain't low carb.

Never ever confuse education or academic qualifications with intelligence. Over to you Roy, make my day.
    While the diet ingredients may not be ideal,the use of the pre-packaged "meals" mean that the way of running the diet is simple enough for a dietician to understand versus "create a full meal plan from fresh".
    It was a method to create a concept of a low calorie diet to "reverse diabetes"
    Once the concept is proved a better diet can be refined. It is like slating the Wright Brothers for using a home made plane rather than building a supersonic jet!
    Or perhaps you are p'ed off that he didn't consult with "Saint Eddie" to make it low carb as well before trying the experiment!
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Nov 08 2014, 08:33

Two Collies wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:I have a theory about Prof.Taylor and that is he is full of shit ! Good grief I here you say who the f**k are you to comment on the great man ! Well how about this. On every diabetic forum in the world people have been talking about the wonders of a low carb diet for diabetics. My Guru Dr. Richard Bernstein was on the case decades ago. Taylor has been pushing a starvation diet for the last few years that included a very high percentage of daily diet to carbs, the guy is out to lunch, and it ain't low carb.

While the diet ingredients may not be idealthe use of the pre-packaged "meals" mean that the way of running the diet is simple enough for a dietician to understand versus "create a full meal plan from fresh".
    It was a method to create a concept of a low calorie diet to "reverse diabetes" Once the concept is proved a better diet can be refined. It is like slating the Wright Brothers for using a home made plane rather than building a supersonic jet!

True, but.....these meal replacement diets were around long before Prof. Taylor started the Newcastle diet. I used them myself many times. I tried other low calorie diets too. Looking back they were all high in carbs. There are no other diabetics in my family. I believe it was my continual dieting that led me to eventually become morbidly obese (now just seriously obese!) and then diagnosed diabetic. So my point is.....I and many other women have tried 800 calorie diets for years. If they didn't work then, how does doing a study about them and giving the study a name make the outcome any different? I think they only 'work' when the participant has never dieted before, and any wacky diet will work first time round, but it's not sustainable for life.

When I followed a 600 calorie (mostly veg) diet for 7 weeks I lost a little weight (just over a stone, I was still morbidly obese after losing that stone). I was ill afterwards because I didn't have enough protein or fats. I was still diabetic.

The only positive I can see with the Newcastle diet is that it's a whole lot better than the alternative of bariatric surgery and that's the reason I'm glad Prof. Taylor carried out his study.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Nov 08 2014, 10:22

The Newcastle Diet is not something I'd advocate but it has produced results for some and as and says, it's better than attempting no change at all. Never been a fan of any regime that calls itself a "diet" as it suggests to me short term solution to a long term problem.
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Sat Nov 08 2014, 11:22

A friend gave me Leslie Kenton's Cura Romana diet book. The concept is not dissimilar to the ND, except she advocates the use of HCG along with the diet.

The reason being that apparently, when you eat a starvation diet, although the body will consume its own fat, it will tend to target the essential visceral fat first rather than the non-essential.

Raising HCG fools the body into targeting the non-essential first. She uses homeopathic HCG and gets the same result.

What it means is that the Cura Romana diet is not actually a starvation diet, it's a high fat low carb diet with some veg and protein.

I have been tempted to try it, just as I have also been tempted to try Joe Cross's Reboot, but I am still busy trying to offload the worms at the moment.

I started a homeopathic 'rotten potato' remedy three days ago, and my body has gone to work on this issue big time.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Nov 08 2014, 11:24

AliB wrote:

I started a homeopathic 'rotten potato' remedy three days ago, and my body has gone to work on this issue big time.

What does that entail Ali?
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Sat Nov 08 2014, 11:43

Homeopathy works on your symptoms, not on the disease itself. Solanum Tuberosum Aegeratum is extracted from rotten potatoes. Don't ask me why, I haven't a clue, but after doing much research my Homeopath found that this remedy fit the closest to my symptoms.

Not surprised. I feel like a rotten potato much of the time....

I just had to take 2 teaspoonsful of 3 drops mixed in water.

It doesn't target the illness or disease, it stimulates the body into action to sort itself out.

It's certainly doing that.

I don't know how it works, but it works.

If it can work on animals and babies who can't 'fake' anything, then who am I to doubt? Just because science doesn't 'get it' doesn't mean it doesn't work. There are hosts of things we know little to nothing about.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Nov 08 2014, 11:50

Two Collies said.

"Or perhaps you are p'ed off that he didn't consult with "Saint Eddie" to make it low carb as well before trying the experiment!"

How dare you have the audacity to demote me to the status of a mere Saint ! I am the God of Low Carb and don't you forget it.

Seriously, wherever you look you can read that almost all people that lose weight with a short term diet, replace the lost weight, and very often end up heavier than when they started, in short they yo-yo up and down in constant disappointment. At the present time diabetes is a life long condition and changes upon diagnosis HAVE to be made for life, for life long control of blood glucose. There is no other way full stop. This is not my opinion it is a fact. Arguably one of the worlds leading blood glucose control experts and known to all here is Dr. Richard Bernstein. I follow people like Bernstein and for over six years he and others have never let me down.

Last week a member here stated the forum stinks and there is no freedom of speech. The lady is entitled to her opinions. She was wrong regarding freedom of speech, but I am sure more than a few think this forum stinks. Long may that be the case, kicking up a stink and annoying all sorts of people is what I do. About the best thing I have read all week was posted by the aforementioned ex member at the big one. It makes it all worth while, I can assure you what people think of this forum or me, matters not a jot, it's the message that counts, and the message is getting through, the message is saving lives, limbs, eye sight and kidneys, the message is all that matters.

"LCHF is now a way of life for me, and something I am totally committed to for life. I could never have imagined that a simple change of food choices and exercise could have such monumental effect on my overall health."

The above is just a small part of a fantastic post, I wish it had been posted here, but thems the breaks.

Keep kicking butt

Eddie
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Nov 08 2014, 11:58

Paul wrote:
    AliB wrote:

What does that entail Ali?

Homeopathy! I'm going to have to run and hide when I've finished posting this. I've used it (I was prescribed it by a naturopath). I had some to help combat mood swings. The highs went away first, then the lows and my moods remained stable for a few years afterwards. She also gave me some drops when I was burnt after my first cardio version - (because the cardio version didn't work I was given 3 shocks, so had 6 rectangular burn marks on my chest) I used this again when I burnt my tongue. Yes it does work. I did heal more quickly using homeopathy.

I have heard of a toddler who was badly burned and she was in hospital facing many skin grafts. My naturopath visited her and gave her homeopathy drops on her tongue. She healed and left hospital after a week. No skin grafts, no scarring. Do you know the really sad thing? No doctor or nurse ever asked what the drops were! Now I would have asked so that I could help the next youngster with horrific burns, wouldn't you?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Nov 08 2014, 12:20

Homeopathy, acupuncture, hypnosis etc do have their place and some have seen amazing results. I have no clue how some work and there may well be some sort of "placebo" effect but it doesn't matter as long as there is a benefit.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Nov 08 2014, 12:33

mo1905 wrote:Homeopathy, acupuncture, hypnosis etc do have their place and some have seen amazing results. I have no clue how some work and there may well be some sort of "placebo" effect but it doesn't matter as long as there is a benefit.

Exactly and if something makes our own bodies work better that has to be better than taking the drugs. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 19:05