THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Intake of cocoa products and risk of type-2 diabetes: the multiethnic cohort

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Intake of cocoa products and risk of type-2 diabetes: the multiethnic cohort Empty Intake of cocoa products and risk of type-2 diabetes: the multiethnic cohort

Post by graham64 Tue May 29 2018, 22:52

Abstract

Background/objectives
    As cocoa products may be protective against chronic disease due to their polyphenol content, the current study determined the association of chocolate consumption and flavanol intake with type-2 diabetes (T2D) incidence in the Multiethnic Cohort (MEC) Study.

Subjects/methods
    The analysis included 151,691 participants of Native Hawaiian, Japanese American, Latino, African American, and white ancestry with 8487 incident T2D cases after 7.8 ± 3.5 years of follow-up. T2D status was based on three self-reports and confirmed by at least one of three administrative data sources. Dietary intake was assessed using a validated quantitative food frequency questionnaire, and flavanols from cocoa products were estimated from self-reported consumption of chocolate candy and drinks. Cox hazard regression, adjusted for potential confounders was applied to estimate hazard ratios (HR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI).

Results
    For chocolate candy, both the highest vs. lowest (≥10 vs. <1 g/day) consumption (HR = 0.90; 95% CI, 0.83–0.97; ptrend = 0.01) and the frequency (≥4/week vs. <1/month) of intake (HR = 0.81; 95% CI, 0.72–0.91; ptrend = 0.0002) were inversely associated with T2D. The estimated flavanol intake from cocoa products (≥3 vs. <1 mg/day) also showed an inverse association with T2D risk (HR = 0.93; 95% CI, 0.88–0.99; ptrend = 0.02). Significant interaction terms indicated that the inverse relation was limited to Japanese Americans, normal-weight individuals, and to those without comorbidities.

Conclusions
    The current study confirms previous reports that participants with high intake of chocolate products and cocoa-derived flavanols experience a reduced risk of developing T2D even after controlling for sugar intake, diet quality, and other aspects of the diet.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41430-018-0188-9
    chris c
    chris c

Intake of cocoa products and risk of type-2 diabetes: the multiethnic cohort Empty Re: Intake of cocoa products and risk of type-2 diabetes: the multiethnic cohort

Post by chris c Wed May 30 2018, 21:20

I ran out of my 85% chocolate, so revisited an old thing I hadn't drank for a long time - cocoa powder mixed with milk and a couple of sweetener tabs, a few drops of peppermint oil, then made up with hot water. Liquid After Eights.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Intake of cocoa products and risk of type-2 diabetes: the multiethnic cohort Empty Re: Intake of cocoa products and risk of type-2 diabetes: the multiethnic cohort

Post by graham64 Thu May 31 2018, 22:29

chris c wrote:I ran out of my 85% chocolate, so revisited an old thing I hadn't drank for a long time - cocoa powder mixed with milk and a couple of sweetener tabs, a few drops of peppermint oil, then made up with hot water. Liquid After Eights.

I have cocoa too but I make mine with water and add a good slug of double cream, like the idea of using peppermint oil might give that a try
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jun 03 2018, 22:06

Be careful you don't add too much, it can sting a bit and will clear your sinuses! (I discovered this when the top fell off the bottle. You don't want to do that!)

Strange, the Co-Op was out of 85% chocolate and hardly had any of the other Fairtrade types. No worries, thought I, I'll get some in the healthfood shop. No, they didn't have anything higher than 70% either. Oh they had some 100% but that is too dry for me, and even that was running out.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Jun 05 2018, 19:47

Seeing both Chris and Graham talking chocolate and cocoa, I thought I'd better check on dark chocolate supplies in the larder Exclamation

It's ok ... a couple of spare bars lol !

We only ever eat a square (perhaps two) at a time.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 06 2018, 21:19

The 85% was back today so I bought and stashed some extra. You can never be too careful. Yes a square or two is enough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 15:29