THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

If you must drink beer, here are 5 of the least problematic brews.

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

If you must drink beer, here are 5 of the least problematic brews. Empty If you must drink beer, here are 5 of the least problematic brews.

Post by Jan1 Wed Feb 01 2017, 18:32

I must admit I'm not a beer drinker ...

I have been known to have half pint of Shandy, or half a Peroni but my first choice of alcohol has to be a glass of wine!

My dear Dad, at 91yrs young, does have the occasional glass of beer and one that he likes is Tanglefoot
    http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beer/tanglefoot

Of course if you are diabetic, if you want to keep an eye on your weight alcohol is perhaps not the best thing to consume  Rolling Eyes

Also those who follow a grain free lifestyle, and celiacs are better NOT to drink beer.

An article by Dr William Davis took my eye-

He writes:

"If you must drink beer, here are five of the least problematic brews

Bard’s gluten-free beers. Brewed from sorghum without barley, this beer is truly gluten-free. As with many gluten-free beers, however, it’s high in carbs, and therefore you should not drink more than one per day (14.2 g carbohydrates per 12-ounce bottle).

Bud Light and Michelob Ultra. Bud Light, made by Anheuser-Busch, is brewed from rice but also contains barley malt. The most severely gluten-sensitive people should therefore not indulge in this beer because of the gluten content. But most of us who are just avoiding wheat but who aren’t gluten-sensitive can safely consume this brand without exposing ourselves to the undesirable effects of grains. One 12-ounce bottle contains 6.6 g of carbohydrates. Michelob Ultra is likewise brewed from rice with barley malt. It is also low in carbohydrates, with 2.6 g per 12-ounce

Redbridge. Redbridge is brewed from sorghum and is not brewed with wheat or barley. It is therefore confidently gluten-free, though it’s still brewed from the seed of a grass. The carbohydrate content is a bit high at 16.4 g per bottle; have more than one beer and the carbohydrates begin to stack up.

Green’s gluten-free beers. UK brewer Green’s provides several gluten-free choices made from sorghum, millet, buckwheat, brown rice, and “deglutenised” barley malt. They are not grain-free and have low quantities of grain proteins. So, tread carefully here, and make judgments based on your individual experience. The carbohydrate content of these beers is slightly less than most others, ranging from 10 to 14 g per 330-ml bottle."

The above is just a snippet of his article which you can see here

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/01/beers-safe-wheat-belly-lifestyle/

Cheers
     beer  

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

If you must drink beer, here are 5 of the least problematic brews. Empty Re: If you must drink beer, here are 5 of the least problematic brews.

Post by graham64 Wed Feb 01 2017, 21:25

I'm ok with craft beers I find they have a beneficial effect on blood sugars Very Happy  on the other hand keg beers put my levels sky high  Sad as well as giving me a hangover. some real ale enthusiasts call keg beer chemical beer
    chris c
    chris c

If you must drink beer, here are 5 of the least problematic brews. Empty Re: If you must drink beer, here are 5 of the least problematic brews.

Post by chris c Wed Feb 01 2017, 21:40

Yeah also I'm no fan of American beer. I also recommend you don't try Adnams Broadside unless you like the taste of bilgewater, some of their offerings are OK though. My favourite used to be Theakston's Best but that went downhill when it went national. I also don't recommend Felinfoel aka Feelin'Foul because it does, or did. We used to have Tolly Cobbold here and Strongs of Romsey in the New Forest - Jan and Eddie, do you remember the roadsigns "you are now entering Strong Country"? They did a rather nice mild.

I went off beer as "designated driver" and used to drink alcohol-free beer which did a number on my BG, but I'll still have the odd half with a pub meal, followed by coffee and a walk it does no harm. My cousin is a real ale freak so I've tried not a few.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Feb 01 2017, 22:06

chris c wrote:Yeah also I'm no fan of American beer. I also recommend you don't try Adnams Broadside unless you like the taste of bilgewater, some of their offerings are OK though. My favourite used to be Theakston's Best but that went downhill when it went national. I also don't recommend Felinfoel aka Feelin'Foul because it does, or did. We used to have Tolly Cobbold here and Strongs of Romsey in the New Forest - Jan and Eddie, do you remember the roadsigns "you are now entering Strong Country"? They did a rather nice mild.

I went off beer as "designated driver" and used to drink alcohol-free beer which did a number on my BG, but I'll still have the odd half with a pub meal, followed by coffee and a walk it does no harm. My cousin is a real ale freak so I've tried not a few.

There's been a big increase in micro pubs in my area over the last couple of years, I can always get a good selection of decent ales, the amount of micro breweries has continued to grow and most parts of the UK now have access to cask ale
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Feb 01 2017, 22:13

Yes, a lot of the classic old local breweries went to the wall decades ago or were bought out by the big boys, but they're being replaced by a new generation of even smaller even more local ones. Which is good.

Much the same's happened to pub food too, once local pubs were bought out by the big chains and served commercial crap, now they are reverting to real local food. Even if they do serve it on slates or rooftiles instead of plates <sigh> they still haven't got it completely right yet though, the best real ale pub around these parts is in a nearby village but the food menu is still like scampi in a basket with french fries dripping with trans fats and sugar.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Feb 01 2017, 22:35

The micro pubs don't do food apart from a few snack items, premises are usually small converted empty shops typically only enough room for 30/40 people but the atmosphere is brilliant
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Feb 02 2017, 22:07

Ah, hadn't come across one of them yet then, I was thinking more of ordinary pubs supplied by microbreweries. Mind you I have been in some tiny pubs in the past too, there was one in Bristol that was fairly long but only about ten feet wide. And a scrumpy pub in Somerset that was basically a house. When the landlord got to know you he'd trust you to go pull your own drinks straight from the barrel so he didn't have to get up out of his armchair. If you went for a half in a pint glass and came back with it less than three quarters full he'd tell you to go back and get some more.

I remember a Somerset guy who'd gone to live in Canada coming back to visit family after many years away. He'd obviously lost his immunity to the scrumpy, took about six steps into the car park and his legs went off in both directions at once and he went arse over tit. Your legs get drunk long before the rest of you. NOT good for the BG either, that stuff, well I imagine not, haven't drunk any for about 40 years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 13:12