THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Nuts Should Come With A Government Health Warning

chris c
    chris c

Nuts Should Come With A Government Health Warning Empty Nuts Should Come With A Government Health Warning

Post by chris c Mon Oct 03 2016, 20:38

No, not a followup to Eddie's post on dieticians!

A bit of back story, my teeth have been a wreck most of my life. I was lucky to have a few excellent dentists among the dross, but my teeth still fell apart, until I started low carbing. In the last twelve years they've hardly even needed scraping or polishing.

In fact the only problems I have had have come from nuts. I chipped a piece off one tooth and needed it mending in a hurry. I impaled my gum and caused a small but painful abscess.

Now as if the thyroid wasn't bad enough I just broke off a huge chunk of elderly filling. Yup, another bloody nut!
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Nuts Should Come With A Government Health Warning Empty Re: Nuts Should Come With A Government Health Warning

Post by graham64 Mon Oct 03 2016, 21:53

chris c wrote:No, not a followup to Eddie's post on dieticians!

A bit of back story, my teeth have been a wreck most of my life. I was lucky to have a few excellent dentists among the dross, but my teeth still fell apart, until I started low carbing. In the last twelve years they've hardly even needed scraping or polishing.

In fact the only problems I have had have come from nuts. I chipped a piece off one tooth and needed it mending in a hurry. I impaled my gum and caused a small but painful abscess.

Now as if the thyroid wasn't bad enough I just broke off a huge chunk of elderly filling. Yup, another bloody nut!

Ground nuts  Question I do try to avoid chewing nuts with my 25 year old crown  Laughing
    chris c
    chris c

Nuts Should Come With A Government Health Warning Empty Re: Nuts Should Come With A Government Health Warning

Post by chris c Tue Oct 04 2016, 21:57

Oh well, things could be worse, I get into the dentists tomorrow.

meanwhile I think I'm regaining some of the weight I lost, which like Graham I couldn't afford to, and my rather cute pair of B cups are diminishing.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 05 2016, 13:50

Care needs to be taken when eating nuts ... macadamias are my favourite!

Hope the dentist appointment goes well Chris

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Oct 07 2016, 19:51

I snapped off a piece of tooth which caused some of the filling to break off. I'll get it mended, or pulled, in a month.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Oct 09 2016, 13:12

Nuts can be healthy !

Nuts Should Come With A Government Health Warning Mixed-nuts-on-rustic-table

Franziska Spritzler RD CDE writes:
    "Nuts are a very popular food. They’re tasty, convenient and can be enjoyed on all kinds of diets. Despite being high in fat, they also have a number of impressive benefits for your health (and weight).

What Are Nuts?
    Nuts are technically considered a fruit. However, unlike most types of fruit, they aren’t sweet and are high in fat. They contain a hard, inedible outer shell that usually needs to be cracked open to release the fruit inside. Fortunately, you can buy most nuts from the store “pre-shelled” so that you don’t have to crack them open yourself.

Here is a list of some of the most commonly consumed nuts:
    Almonds
    Brazil nuts
    Cashews
    Hazelnuts
    Macadamia nuts
    Pecans
    Pine nuts
    Pistachios
    Walnuts

Although peanuts are technically legumes like peas and beans, they are often referred to as nuts because they have similar nutrition profiles and characteristics.

Now let’s look at the top 8 health benefits of eating nuts.

1. Nuts Are a Great Source of Many Nutrients
    Nuts are highly nutritious - some nuts have higher amounts of certain nutrients than others. Nuts are generally an excellent food to eat on a low-carb diet.

Bottom Line: Nuts are high in fat, low in carbs and a great source of several nutrients, including vitamin E, magnesium and selenium.

2. Nuts Are Loaded With Antioxidants
    Nuts are an antioxidant powerhouse. Research has shown that the antioxidants in walnuts and almonds can protect the delicate fats in your cells from being damaged by oxidation.

Bottom Line: Nuts contain antioxidants known as polyphenols, which may protect cells and LDL cholesterol from damage.

3. Nuts Can Help You Lose Weight
    Although they’re considered a high-calorie food, research suggests that nuts may actually help you lose weight. Almonds have consistently been shown to promote weight loss rather than weight gain in controlled studies. One study found that pistachios may also be helpful for weight loss.

Bottom Line: Nuts have been shown to help promote weight loss rather than contribute to weight gain. Several studies have found that the body doesn’t absorb all of the calories in nuts.

4. Nuts Can Lower Cholesterol and Triglycerides
    Nuts have impressive effects on cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Pistachios have been shown to lower triglycerides in obese people and diabetics. Almonds and hazelnuts appear to reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol while increasing HDL (“good”) cholesterol levels.

Bottom Line: Nuts may help lower total and LDL cholesterol and triglycerides while boosting levels of HDL cholesterol.

5. Nuts Are Beneficial for Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome
    Type 2 diabetes is a common disease that affects hundreds of millions of people.
    Having a condition called metabolic syndrome is strongly associated with type 2 diabetes. Interestingly, nuts may be one of the best foods for people with metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. First off, they are low in carbs and don’t raise blood sugar levels much. Substituting nuts for higher-carb foods should lead to reduced blood sugar levels. Studies suggest that eating nuts may also lower oxidative stress, blood pressure and other health markers in people with diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

Bottom Line: Several studies have shown that blood sugar, blood pressure and others health markers improve when nuts are included in diets of people with type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

6. Nuts Can Help Reduce Inflammation
    Nuts have strong anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is your body’s way of defending itself from injury, as well as bacteria and other potentially harmful pathogens. However, chronic (long-term) inflammation can cause damage to organs and increase disease risk. Research suggests that eating nuts may reduce inflammation and promote healthy aging.

Bottom Line: Research suggests that nuts may be helpful for reducing inflammation, especially in people with diabetes, kidney disease and other serious health conditions.

7. Nuts Are High in Fiber
    Fiber provides many health benefits. Although your body can’t digest fiber, the bacteria that live in your colon can. Many types of fiber function as prebiotics or “food” for your healthy gut bacteria. Your gut bacteria then ferment the fiber and turn it into beneficial short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs). These SCFAs have powerful benefits, including improving gut health and reducing your risk of diabetes and obesity.
    Here are the nuts with the highest fiber content per 1-oz (28-gram) serving:
    Almonds: 3.5 grams
    Pistachios: 2.9 grams
    Hazelnuts: 2.9 grams
    Pecans: 2.9 grams
    Peanuts: 2.6 grams
    Macadamias: 2.4 grams
    Brazil nuts: 2.1 grams

Bottom Line: Many nuts are high in fiber, which can reduce disease risk, help keep you full, decrease calorie absorption and improve gut health.

8. Nuts Can Reduce Your Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke
    Nuts are extremely good for your heart. Several studies suggest that nuts help lower heart disease and stroke risk because of their benefits for cholesterol levels, LDL particle size, artery function and inflammation. Studies have found that small, dense LDL particles may increase heart disease risk more than larger LDL particles.

Bottom Line: Nuts may significantly lower your risk of heart attack and stroke. That’s because nuts increase LDL particle size, raise HDL cholesterol, improve artery function and have various other benefits for heart health.

Nuts Are Delicious, Versatile and Widely Available
    Nuts are undeniably tasty and satisfying. They can be enjoyed whole, as nut butters or chopped up and sprinkled on food. It’s actually quite easy to make your own homemade nut butter using whichever combination of nuts you like. Nuts can be purchased in grocery stores or online. They are available in a wide variety of options, including salted or unsalted, seasoned or plain, raw or roasted. In general, it’s healthiest to eat nuts raw or toast them in the oven at a temperature below 350°F (175°C). Dry-roasted nuts are the next-best option, but try to avoid nuts roasted in vegetable and seed oils. Nuts can be kept at room temperature, which makes them ideal for on-the-go snacks and traveling. However, if you’re going to be storing them for long then a refrigerator or freezer will keep them fresher. At the end of the day, nuts are a highly nutritious and super tasty food that can fit into almost everyone’s diet. Eating nuts on a regular basis is a very enjoyable way to improve your health."

Please note, the above is not Franziska's full article, it only gives 'snippets'.
    To read her full article on 'Authority Nutrition' site, which contains all relevant links, please see here
    https://authoritynutrition.com/8-benefits-of-nuts/

All the best Jan

(obviously if you should have any nut allergies please steer clear of them

and Chris - hope all is eventually sorted with your tooth!)
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Oct 09 2016, 20:49

The dietician was horrified that I ate nuts "all that fat!" and even more avocados.

Thanks to her advice I gained 15 kilos all around my waist, my BP shot up, my lipids got worse and my gum infection was so bad that two front teeth fell out. Strangely she wasn't fat herself, but then she was only about twelve.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 18:29