THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Eddie
zand
Paul1976
mo1905
sanguine
9 posters

Results from day 1

sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Results from day 1 Empty Results from day 1

Post by sanguine Thu Aug 14 2014, 15:34

Most of you will have come across me on diabetes.co.uk and my summary progress is in my sig below. However, for the benefit of any newcomers:

I was diagnosed T2 on 24 March this year with an HbA1c of 65, after months of listlessness but without any other of the classic T2 symptoms. It was announced by a prat of a junior locum GP who was only really interested in prescribing me statins (total cholesterol was 6.9 at the time) and got rid of me in about 5 minutes flat saying to make an appointment to see the DN (not even a suggestion of metformin at that time). It was handy in a way that I couldn't get an appointment for three weeks ...

A bit shocked of course, but as a scientist and a stubborn get (not always in that order) I got straight on the internet and found diabetes.co.uk and through that dietdoctor.com, and after a few nanoseconds of doubt about the HF bit, just launched straight into LCHF at around 50g/day. The interesting bit was wondering how I would cope with cravings (I had been a fiendish consumer of bread, toast, croissants etc) but I can honestly say I haven't had any - yet. I'm perfectly comfortable with cooked breakfasts (or Greek yoghurt), Mediterranean style 'tapas' lunches and meat/fish with veg or salad for dinner. In fact I've probably settled into too comfortable a routine and could do with eating a bit less processed meat - bacon, salami, burgers etc, albeit good quality ones if that's not oxymoronic. I did have a slice of toast with eggs for breakfast sometimes, but although that seemed to be OK at 2 hours I didn't like the BG rise at 1 hour so I don't even have that now. We'll see how I cope next time I go to the south of France.

Anyway, having armed myself with a meter by the time I did see the DN I had already got my fasting levels down to 7s and had lost 5 kg in weight, so there wasn't much she could say. She was actually quite receptive unofficially, even though she had to go through the NICE motions. She said she had another scientist diabetic who was doing very well on Atkins, so not dismissive by any means. We parted on good terms with an acceptance that I would carry on med free until my next review - including the statins which I told her I wasn't taking and why, having read Kendrick and Graveline by this time.

Last month I had my next HbA1c and lipids, which are in my sig. 65 to 45 in just under 4 months, lipid breakdown much better, and liver function vastly improved. Had a consultation by phone with my proper GP who was suitably impressed and didn't try to question the low carbing when I explained how I had done it. I've now also lost 17% of my March bodyweight (lots of walking and I bought a rowing machine) and will see what I look/feel like at 70 kg to see if I want to go further. Fasting BGs are averaging in the high 5s although I am still trying to train my liver - it's a bit like training cats, sometimes they do what you want but it's really only on their terms.

Overall I can almost say I'm grateful for having been diagnosed T2. It gave me the kick up the backside I needed to sort out my weight, and gave me a new lifestyle in which I feel fitter and livelier than I have in years. Mind you I found out after diagnosis when digging for old blood test results that I had an HbA1c of 44 in 2008 which they never said anything about, so I could have started all this a bit sooner. But we are where we are.

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Results from day 1 Empty Re: Results from day 1

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 14 2014, 16:28

Just goes to show that with diabetes, knowledge is power. sure, you need focus and determination but you need good initial advice so you can be focussed and determined on the right things !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Aug 14 2014, 16:44

mo1905 wrote:Just goes to show that with diabetes, knowledge is power. sure, you need focus and determination but you need good initial advice so you can be focussed and determined on the right things !

Very true! It would save many lives and unnecessary complications if the right information was made available to the newly diagnosed right away at the Doctors surgery when a diabetic is first diagnosed-sadly that day isn't here yet but that's why I believe stories like ours and Rod's above are so important to share on forums such as here so they will hopefully be seen and people can learn another way apart from the mainstream and reap the rewards of good Diabetic control and a long,healthy life. Smile
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Tue Oct 07 2014, 14:13

Just had my 6-month HbA1c yesterday and pleased (relieved?) that it's now dropped a bit more to 42 (6.0%) after a bit of a stressful time recently which showed up in some of my BG readings.

But I have to be pleased to be back in non-diabetic territory (just) - onwards and downwards!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Oct 07 2014, 14:18

sanguine wrote:Just had my 6-month HbA1c yesterday and pleased (relieved?) that it's now dropped a bit more to 42 (6.0%) after a bit of a stressful time recently which showed up in some of my BG readings.

But I have to be pleased to be back in non-diabetic territory (just) - onwards and downwards!

That's fantastic Rod ! Good to see the effort pays off in black & white :-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Oct 07 2014, 14:22

Excellent Rod!! Smile Onwards and upwards! Smile
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Tue Oct 07 2014, 15:41

sanguine wrote:Just had my 6-month HbA1c yesterday and pleased (relieved?) that it's now dropped a bit more to 42 (6.0%) after a bit of a stressful time recently which showed up in some of my BG readings.

Well done Rod. Great news. My HbA1c is 42 too.......race you to say..... 38? Smile
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Tue Oct 07 2014, 16:53

zand wrote:

Well done Rod.  Great news.  My HbA1c is 42 too.......race you to say..... 38? Smile

Thanks Zand (and everyone)! You're on - so I'm now racing Bluetit to 40 and you to 38, nothing like incentive to spice things up a bit!
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Oct 07 2014, 16:56

sanguine wrote:
    zand wrote:

Well done Rod.  Great news.  My HbA1c is 42 too.......race you to say..... 38? Smile

Thanks Zand (and everyone)!  You're on - so I'm now racing Bluetit to 40 and you to 38, nothing like incentive to spice things up a bit!
    Oh dear, I'd better get back on track then Rolling Eyes lol!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:24

zand wrote:
    sanguine wrote:
    zand wrote:

Thanks Zand (and everyone)!  You're on - so I'm now racing Bluetit to 40 and you to 38, nothing like incentive to spice things up a bit!

And mine was 41 :-)
    Close race !
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Oct 07 2014, 17:38

Well done Rod, you are now a fully paid up member of the dark side. Non diabetic numbers and not missing the foods you had to dump. As you have found out it is easy dump the low nutrition BG raising foods and learn to adapt. Keep up the good work and numbers in the thirties could be waiting for you, job done.

Regards Eddie
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Oct 07 2014, 18:12

Just wanted to add my well done too - I bet Mrs S is pleased too  sunny

All the best Jan
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Wed Oct 08 2014, 12:14

zand wrote:
    sanguine wrote:
    zand wrote:

After visiting my DN this morning, all she could say was 'well done', 'how' and 'I wish all my patients were like you'. bounce So that's me done until my next full set of tests in March. When's your next Zand? Basketball
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Oct 08 2014, 18:58

sanguine wrote:
    zand wrote:
    sanguine wrote:
    zand wrote:

After visiting my DN this morning, all she could say was 'well done', 'how' and 'I wish all my patients were like you'. bounce  So that's me done until my next full set of tests in March.  When's your next Zand? Basketball
    lol, I dunno, the doc said I could come back when I wanted another one. I'll make it March too if I can
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:45

Rod wrote:Last month I had my next HbA1c and lipids, which are in my sig. 65 to 45 in just under 4 months, lipid breakdown much better, and liver function vastly improved. Had a consultation by phone with my proper GP who was suitably impressed and didn't try to question the low carbing when I explained how I had done it. I've now also lost 17% of my March bodyweight (lots of walking and I bought a rowing machine) and will see what I look/feel like at 70 kg to see if I want to go further. Fasting BGs are averaging in the high 5s although I am still trying to train my liver - it's a bit like training cats, sometimes they do what you want but it's really only on their terms.

Great results Rod cheers , I can remember when I first started LC i'ts a great feeling when you see the A1c dropping.

Graham
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Nov 05 2014, 19:39

Can I show off please- just got my HbA1c, type 1 on low carb 38!!! In old money 5.6%.
    I cut out dairy and my cholesterol has also dropped to 6.8. Because my hdl is so high 2.6, no mention of Statins! My risk of heart attack/stroke is 4.6% so no need for treatment. Did have to keep explaining what low carb meant and yes Dr veg does contain carbs! And you eat chicken for breakfast? Yes sometimes fish too! (Even that I find difficult sometimes).
    And exercise lowers your sugars? Actually Dr, it depends on the type of exercise as weights will increase blood sugars!
    How many hypos have you had the past week? Well you just saw the CGM reading how many did you see? I didn't. Well there you are. Yes but how many hypos have you had in the past week? What do you define as a hypo? Anything below 3. So how many did you see on the cgm? Not many. And so it went.......
    Why low carb? Why not? Peace of mind for the first times in 23 years, no bread, pasta doughnut or ice cream comes anywhere near peace of mind that comes with a very small variation of blood sugars. Knowing that I will wake up in the morning. (Cousin died of dead in bed hypo when he was 22).
    Love this way of life!

Woooohoooooo!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Nov 05 2014, 19:46

Mrs Vimes wrote:Can I show off please- just got my HbA1c, type 1 on low carb 38!!! In old money 5.6%.
    I cut out dairy and my cholesterol has also dropped to 6.8. Because my hdl is so high 2.6, no mention of Statins! My risk of heart attack/stroke is 4.6% so no need for treatment. Did have to keep explaining what low carb meant and yes Dr veg does contain carbs! And you eat chicken for breakfast? Yes sometimes fish too! (Even that I find difficult sometimes).
    And exercise lowers your sugars? Actually Dr, it depends on the type of exercise as weights will increase blood sugars!
    How many hypos have you had the past week? Well you just saw the CGM reading how many did you see? I didn't. Well there you are. Yes but how many hypos have you had in the past week? What do you define as a hypo? Anything below 3. So how many did you see on the cgm? Not many. And so it went.......
    Why low carb? Why not? Peace of mind for the first times in 23 years, no bread, pasta doughnut or ice cream comes anywhere near peace of mind that comes with a very small variation of blood sugars. Knowing that I will wake up in the morning. (Cousin died of dead in bed hypo when he was 22).
    Love this way of life!

Woooohoooooo!

That's fantastic ! It's posts like these that make everything worthwhile. You're pretty much a non diabetic diabetic lol ! You should be very proud and rightly show off :-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Nov 05 2014, 19:48

Wow!! What can I say but WAHEY!!!! cheers You have blown the NHS stats for Type 1's that never achieve a healthy HbA1c right out of the water so show off to your hearts content as you deserve too as you found the right dietary path and stuck to it and proved the naysayers wrong so well done!!! cheers cheers
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Nov 05 2014, 19:50

Thanks Mo. I'm going to treat myself to some
    Lindt choccy squares and a couple of nuts. LIVING THE DREAM!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Nov 05 2014, 19:53

Mrs Vimes wrote:Thanks Mo. I'm going to treat myself to some
    Lindt choccy squares and a couple of nuts. LIVING THE DREAM!

You deserve it !
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Nov 05 2014, 19:56

Thanks Paul - the diabetes nurse just looks bemused but she is a goodun. Keeps saying I've never seen figures like that before and the cgm proves it. My highs are a lot lower (8s) my lows a lot higher (top 3s). I feel safe.

If I wasn't type 1 though I would actually live on Ben and Jerries but as I am now at the moment I don't miss it. Do love my sugar free lime jelly though.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Nov 05 2014, 20:04

Mrs Vimes wrote:Can I show off please- just got my HbA1c, type 1 on low carb 38!!! In old money 5.6%.
    Love this way of life!

Woooohoooooo!

Fantastic news and very well done, thanks for posting. So many think low carb is only for type two's but almost all the best controlled type one's I know are low carbers.

You said "peace of mind that comes with a very small variation of blood sugars. Knowing that I will wake up in the morning." what price can you put on that, priceless I reckon.

The very best of health to you and yours.

Eddie
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Nov 05 2014, 20:16

Cheers Eddie - it was sites like your blog that got me started in the first place.
    I'm now a gym rat because of a greater understanding of how everything works and ketosis is so much easier York with than using carbs as fuel.
    I bench press!

I still carry lucozade, sugar tablets and my trusty oat biscuits (that look like cup coasters) but I'm finding that they are either going out of date or taste stale (yes I can tell a stale oat biscuit from a non-stale but not a lot of difference.)

I used to use so much! Now I have stock piles.

I'd like to thank all my fans and my manager ... Actually I'd like to really thank all the low carbers on the Internet for offering an alternative education backed up with sources that are credible, valid and ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE.
    Cheers!
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Wed Nov 05 2014, 21:41

sanguine wrote:  Fasting BGs are averaging in the high 5s although I am still trying to train my liver - it's a bit like training cats, sometimes they do what you want but it's really only on their terms.

LOL......LOL......

Well done both of you.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Nov 05 2014, 22:26

Great results Mrs Vimes, I just wish I could get my Doctor to look beyond total cholesterol like yours, I have high HDL always >2 mmol/L coupled with low trigs means my ratios are excellent but all they mention is my TC being to high Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 19:13