THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Diabetes Review results in today

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Diabetes Review results in today Empty Diabetes Review results in today

Post by graham64 Wed Mar 28 2018, 23:07

Drat just lost a post my bad  Embarassed

Had my review today with a new DSN and so far I'm impressed she's a very pleasant lady and easy to get on with, she did all the routine stuff no problems until it came to my BP and pulse though I did mention WCS she decided to do an ECG to be on the safe side, have put the sensors in place she took the readings on a hand held device and then relayed them over the phone to the hospital thankfully no problems were found, I'm not sure how long this method has been going on but I'm suitably impressed on how quick it was.  Cool

Now for the blood test results: 

Today                                  May 2017  

A1c 44                                         45

Cholesterol 

TC 5.69                                        6.42

HDL 3.09                                      2.61

TC/HDL ratio 1.9                           2.5

Given the lowering of TC and higher HDL that would suggest my LDL has dropped unfortunately a full lipid panel was not done this time so I cant really compare with with my last LDL of 3.42, but I can use trigs from then to do an estimate at   http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php 

Your Total Cholesterol of 5.96 is BORDERLINE

Your LDL of 2.46 is OPTIMAL

Your HDL of 3.09 is OPTIMAL

Your Triglyceride level of 0.89 is NORMAL

RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 1.93 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL

Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 1.256 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL

Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.288 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) IDEAL

Kidneys GFR >90 

All other bloods ok apart from liver function and sodium 

Liver function

Gamma Gt level 102  lab range 0.00 - 71.00 U/L 

Urea and electrolytes 

Serum sodium  131   lab range 133 - 146.00 mmol/L

First time I've had a problem with the liver function hoping it's just a blip
    chris c
    chris c

Diabetes Review results in today Empty Re: Diabetes Review results in today

Post by chris c Thu Mar 29 2018, 00:55

Your trigs/HDL ratio is Very Silly. You are probably getting younger as you age. Especially with that HDL.

Rule of thumb, if you get a few results out of line, it may be that you were a tad dehydrated. A clueful consultant suggested that when several of my results were out of line simultaneously

Long birder

Post by Long birder Thu Mar 29 2018, 16:11

Hi Graham,
    They are great results if your not hitting the bottle or eating a lot of fruit your GGT is hard to explain.
    Your sodium reading may mean you are dehydrated?
    What was your potassium like?
    ATB
    Derek
    PS. Just.struck me Graham I think it will be the Doxycycline your taking for your eyes damaging your liver.
    It will recover when you stop taking it!
    D.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Mar 29 2018, 20:07

Just to say - thanks for sharing your results Graham, I know both Chris and Derek have replied with some relevant pointers ...

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Mar 29 2018, 22:53

Long birder wrote:Hi Graham,
    They are great results if your not hitting the bottle or eating a lot of fruit your GGT is hard to explain.
    Your sodium reading may mean you are dehydrated?
    What was your potassium like?
    ATB
    Derek
    PS. Just.struck me Graham I think it will be the Doxycycline your taking for your eyes damaging your liver.
    It will recover when you stop taking it!
    D.

Hi Derek,
    No I'm not hitting the bottle  Laughing I do enjoy a beer or two but not too excess probably about ten pints a week at most,  as for fruit I do consume berries most days but only in small amounts and I don't reckon I'm dehydrated as I do take on board plenty of fluids during the day.
    Potassium is ok 4.7 mmol/L lab range 3.50 - 5.30

Agreed about the Doxycycline it can affect liver function and Iv'e still got 21 more days on them, I will ask for a liver function test to be included in my six month review usually only do A1c for that blood test hopefully things will have improved by then
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Mar 29 2018, 23:05

chris c wrote:Your trigs/HDL ratio is Very Silly. You are probably getting younger as you age. Especially with that HDL.

Rule of thumb, if you get a few results out of line, it may be that you were a tad dehydrated. A clueful consultant suggested that when several of my results were out of line simultaneously

What is troubling me Chris is the fall in LDL when according to BDA evidence based guidelines  Rolling Eyes  the sat fat I consume should actually increase it  Shocked

One cause of high LDL cholesterol is a diet high in saturated fat http://www.gha.gi/wp-content/uploads/Nutrition-Cholesterol.pdf
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Mar 29 2018, 23:09

Jan1 wrote:Just to say - thanks for sharing your results Graham, I know both Chris and Derek have replied with some relevant pointers ...

All the best Jan

Thanks Jan  Very Happy

I will be celebrating my tenth year since diagnosis on April 4th too
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Mar 31 2018, 00:00

graham64 wrote:

What is troubling me Chris is the fall in LDL when according to BDA evidence based guidelines  Rolling Eyes  the sat fat I consume should actually increase it  Shocked

One cause of high LDL cholesterol is a diet high in saturated fat http://www.gha.gi/wp-content/uploads/Nutrition-Cholesterol.pdf

Terminal cluelessness, so no surprise there then. They should have their eyelids nailed open and be forced to read some actual science, and Dave Feldman's blog

http://cholesterolcode.com/

When I ate more sat fat the HDL went up and the LDL went down by about the same amount. Or it may have been that I had stopped losing the dietician-induced weight by then. Either way, when you stop eating the Holy Health Grains lots of other things start working properly again.

Derek has a good point about the doxycycline.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 19:16