THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Low-salt diets may not be beneficial for all, study suggests

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Low-salt diets may not be beneficial for all, study suggests Empty Low-salt diets may not be beneficial for all, study suggests

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 26 2016, 22:05

Salt reduction only important in some people with high blood pressure

A large worldwide study has found that, contrary to popular thought, low-salt diets may not be beneficial and may actually increase the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and death compared to average salt consumption.

In fact, the study suggests that the only people who need to worry about reducing sodium in their diet are those with hypertension (high blood pressure) and have high salt consumption.

The study, involving more than 130,000 people from 49 countries, was led by investigators of the Population Health Research Institute (PHRI) of McMaster University and Hamilton Health Sciences.

They looked specifically at whether the relationship between sodium (salt) intake and death, heart disease and stroke differs in people with high blood pressure compared to those with normal blood pressure.

The researchers showed that regardless of whether people have high blood pressure, low-sodium intake is associated with more heart attacks, strokes, and deaths compared to average intake.

"These are extremely important findings for those who are suffering from high blood pressure," said Andrew Mente, lead author of the study, a principal investigator of PHRI and an associate professor of clinical epidemiology and biostatistics at McMaster's Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine.

"While our data highlights the importance of reducing high salt intake in people with hypertension, it does not support reducing salt intake to low levels.

"Our findings are important because they show that lowering sodium is best targeted at those with hypertension who also consume high sodium diets."

Current intake of sodium in Canada is typically between 3.5 and 4 grams per day and some guidelines have recommended that the entire population lower sodium intake to below 2.3 grams per day, a level that fewer than five per cent of Canadians and people around the world consume.

Previous studies have shown that low-sodium, compared to average sodium intake, is related to increased cardiovascular risk and mortality, even though low sodium intake is associated with lower blood pressure.

This new study shows that the risks associated with low-sodium intake -- less than three grams per day -- are consistent regardless of a patient's hypertension status.

Further, the findings show that while there is a limit below which sodium intake may be unsafe, the harm associated with high sodium consumption appears to be confined to only those with hypertension.

Only about 10 per cent of the population in the global study had both hypertension and high sodium consumption (greater than 6 grams per day).

Mente said that this suggests that the majority of individuals in Canada and most countries are consuming the right amount of salt.

He added that targeted salt reduction in those who are most susceptible because of hypertension and high salt consumption may be preferable to a population-wide approach to reducing sodium intake in most countries except those where the average sodium intake is very high, such as parts of central Asia or China.

He added that what is now generally recommended as a healthy daily ceiling for sodium consumption appears to be set too low, regardless of a person's blood pressure level.

"Low sodium intake reduces blood pressure modestly, compared to average intake, but low sodium intake also has other effects, including adverse elevations of certain hormones which may outweigh any benefits. The key question is not whether blood pressure is lower with very low salt intake, instead it is whether it improves health," Mente said

Dr. Martin O'Donnell, a co-author on the study and an associate clinical professor at McMaster University and National University of Ireland Galway, said: "This study adds to our understanding of the relationship between salt intake and health, and questions the appropriateness of current guidelines that recommend low sodium intake in the entire population."

"An approach that recommends salt in moderation, particularly focused on those with hypertension, appears more in-line with current evidence." The study was funded from more than 50 sources, including the PHRI, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160521071410.htm
    Derek
    Derek

Low-salt diets may not be beneficial for all, study suggests Empty Re: Low-salt diets may not be beneficial for all, study suggests

Post by Derek Mon Jun 27 2016, 08:21

Mercola maintains its fructose puts up bp not sodium which is absolute rubbish.
    If those who have an adrenal tumour producing aldosterone have it removed they go almost overninght from very high bp to normal bp for their age.
    The kidneys retain sodium in normal individuals if the electrolyte drops and release sodium into urine if it gets too high. Even the sweat glands are controlled by aldosterone to hold on to sodium.
    Ancient diets contained very little sodium and our bodies haven't changed much and are still adapted. We are not so well adapted to high grain diets that is why some us can't cope with high carb diets.

D.
    yoly
    yoly

Low-salt diets may not be beneficial for all, study suggests Empty Re: Low-salt diets may not be beneficial for all, study suggests

Post by yoly Mon Jun 27 2016, 17:47

People aren't "averages", results in epidemiology and studies in general are given based on averages. That those not mean that there are not outliers and people up and down in the curve of the "average" result. What that means is that a study can give you and idea on what the "average" response may be. But you are an individual and you can be in the upper or down side of the curve, so you need to see what your particular results are.

That being said is criminal that they generalized to all the population the advice to eat low salt when the evidence is that you have a greater risk of dying and a shorter life expectancy. The effect on blood pressure even on people with problems eliminating sodium thru their kidney in the majority is very small. So much so that even in these population there is a increase mortality by the low salt diet. But like I said at the beginning what may work for you may be different than the "average".
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Mon Jun 27 2016, 18:52

You make a number of assertions Yoly without an adequate knowledge of adrenal disease or the pub med to back your statements up!

yoly wrote:People aren't "averages", results in epidemiology and studies in general are given based on averages. That those not mean that there are not outliers and people up and down in the curve of the "average" result. What that means is that a study can give you and idea on what the "average" response may be. But you are an individual and you can be in the upper or down side of the curve, so you need to see what your particular results are.

That being said is criminal that they generalized to all the population the advice to eat low salt when the evidence is that you have a greater risk of dying and a shorter life expectancy. The effect on blood pressure even on people with problems eliminating sodium thru their kidney in the majority is very small. So much so that even in these population there is a increase mortality by the low salt diet. But like I said at the beginning what may work for you may be different than the "average".
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Wed Jun 29 2016, 11:36

Thanks for reminding me why I was and should stay out of posting or commenting on forums.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Jun 29 2016, 21:33

Yoly don't get upset by Derek, he is suffering from the trauma of Brexit. He will see the benefits of being out of the EU soon. rofl

Seriously, stick around this forum needs you. What blithering idiot started this forum, we need to be told. affraid
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Jun 29 2016, 21:49

yoly wrote:Thanks for reminding me why I was and should stay out of posting or commenting on forums.

Stick with us Yoly your input is much appreciated, for what it's worth I need to keep my salt intake up due to low serum sodium levels, then again I've never calculated how much I consume and I don't know anybody who has
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 29 2016, 23:33

I recall long ago studies which indicated at most 1/4 - 1/3 of the hypertensive population were sodium sensitive. Far more responded better to increasing potassium. The elephant in the room remains hyperinsulinemia from insulin resistance and a high carb diet which is responsible for the majority of high BP.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Thu Jun 30 2016, 11:28

Potassium and sodium are two opposite ends of a biological seesaw When sodium is high it goes into tissue and potassium comes out and is peed out. With Conn's one has difficulty hanging on to potassium due to excess aldosterone. Hence the absolute need to restrict sodium and increase potassium, particularly in adrenal disease and heart failure. That is why patients are prescribed aldosterone antagonists. Of course insulin causes high bp it has a similar effect on tissue as aldosterone in the presence of sodium .
    The reason many are not effected by normal amounts of sodium is that they have control over the sodium in their bodies by a normal adrenal feedback system....hence they don't have high sodium in their tissue !!!
    D.

If I had not had undiagnosed Conns for 30 years I could have had my high bp cured overnight by removing my adrenal tumour. I am sorry Yoly took offence but he was ignorant of my health situation and knew nothing about adrenal disease .
    chris c wrote:I recall long ago studies which indicated at most 1/4 - 1/3 of the hypertensive population were sodium sensitive. Far more responded better to increasing potassium. The elephant in the room remains hyperinsulinemia from insulin resistance and a high carb diet which is responsible for the majority of high BP.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Thu Jun 30 2016, 13:04

Eddie wrote:Yoly don't get upset by Derek, he is suffering from the trauma of Brexit. He will see the benefits of being out of the EU soon. rofl

Seriously, stick around this forum needs you. What blithering idiot started this forum, we need to be told. affraid
    Hi Eddie, Boris is not up to the job, I guess he knew he couldn't get what he promised.D.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Jun 30 2016, 13:45

Derek wrote:
    Eddie wrote:Yoly don't get upset by Derek, he is suffering from the trauma of Brexit. He will see the benefits of being out of the EU soon.  rofl

Hi Eddie,  Boris is not up to the job, I guess he knew he couldn't get what he promised.D.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. Sir Winston Churchill

I have said all along, in or out will make no difference to me. I may well have disappeared up a crematorium chimney before Brexit is finalised. I believe my children, and grandchildren, will benefit when we have made the break, and the British will be in control of their own destiny. The USSR failed, and I believe we are witnessing, the start of the end of the EU.

During the time leading up to the Brexit referendum, we were bombarded with project fear, why did the stay-ins not bombard us with the benefits of staying in? maybe because the list is short. On paper the EU was a fantastic idea, all banding together in brotherly love, and working for each other for the common good. In reality there is massive division and monumental disparity regarding economies and cultures.

The British have always been slow to react, but, when our backs are against the wall, we come out fighting. We have liberated Europe twice before, in time, we may well be seen, to have done it again. That being said, it has been said, we get the politicians we deserve. Clearly, the present politicos on both sides, have descended to below sewer level. Interesting times ahead.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Sat Jul 02 2016, 13:44

This may give some a little insight into the problems that some of us face.

http://connsyndromeproject.pbworks.com/f/Grim+Evol+PA+50324.pdf

In fact, the study suggests that the only people who need to worry about reducing sodium in their diet are those with hypertension (high blood pressure) and have high salt consumption. Obviously Graham this statement is not correct!! Derek

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 13:10