THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

The BDA and the diet of slow death.

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

The BDA and the diet of slow death. Empty The BDA and the diet of slow death.

Post by Jan1 Sat May 14 2016, 20:05

Have you seen this?

"People sometimes ask me, why am I so critical of the British Dietetic Association. The reasons are many. The treatment and care in the UK for diabetics is often lamentable. When you consider approximately 90% of UK diabetics are type two, we are talking about three million people, the dietary information provided to these people, is very often poor at best, and criminal at worst. For various reasons type two diabetics become insulin resistant, and their blood glucose levels become dangerously high. Long term, if blood glucose levels are not reduced, serious diabetic complications very often occur. The group of foods known as carbohydrates raise BG much faster and higher than proteins and fats. The BDA advise diabetics to base meals on starchy carbohydrates and minimise saturated fats. The worse possible diet for a diabetic.

So, following this diet, which almost guarantees dangerously high blood glucose levels, what does the type two diabetic do, he turns to medication. Most type two medications are expensive, all carry side effects, and some such as Avandia and Actos have been banned for killing people. Most drugs don’t work on most people. Not my opinion, fact, as stated by a man who should know, none other than a Glaxo boss Allen Roses, and I quote “most prescription medicines do not work on most people who take them” said here* over ten years ago, not much has changed. The bottom line, most type two diabetics cannot rely on drugs to keep BG under control. Almost universally, well controlled type two diabetics, report the only way they can hold safe BG numbers, is by cutting back, often drastically, on the very foods the BDA say should be the mainstay of their meals, namely starchy carbohydrates.

It seems to me the straight thinker has to ask themselves, does the BDA know what I have stated above. If they do not know, they are a very long way from being fit for purpose, and should withdraw from giving diabetics dietary information. The alternative must be they do know, and for reasons best known to themselves, they are participating in the downfall of countless diabetics. If this grim situation was just my opinion, my conclusions and opinion, would be meaningless, but that is not the case. All over the world, highly skilled and knowledgeable medical professionals, from A1 rated science Professors, Cardiologists, and GP’s are in agreement, a strict reduction in starchy carbohydrates should be the first line of attack for type two diabetics. Very often a type two diabetic can reverse the chief symptom of diabetes, high BG, to non diabetic, with dietary changes alone. Thereby living a long diabetes complication free life. If a low carb diet was recommended, as a viable treatment option for all diabetics, the monetary savings to highly stressed NHS budgets would be in the £billions. The reduction of painful misery for countless diabetics would be immeasurable. "

Taken from here https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/the-bda-and-diet-of-slow-death.html

Glaxo chief *: Our drugs do not work on most patients http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/glaxo-chief-our-drugs-do-not-work-on-most-patients-5508670.html
    yoly
    yoly

The BDA and the diet of slow death. Empty Re: The BDA and the diet of slow death.

Post by yoly Sat May 14 2016, 21:46

Humans are genetically very diverse and metabolically complex. The body is a chemical factory and now they are finding out that people don't metabolize all in the same way. There is no certain way how to predict how anyone will react to medications and anything they eat, breath or are exposed in the environment. Many studies are manipulated, but even if they are not there is no way any study is going to provide assurance of benefit or harm. Only N+1 trial will tell, but that also is crap shoot because you will never know if you are doing is long term harm. That is why diet, exercise and lifestyle are so important, they are the best bet for health.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

The BDA and the diet of slow death. Empty Re: The BDA and the diet of slow death.

Post by graham64 Mon May 16 2016, 21:50

Spotted this on the DCUK forum it's another in a long line of diabetics who have found a dieticians advice has been diabolical and resulted in a worsening of her condition, she's turned things around with a LCHF diet

This is my first time posting so go easy on me guys ! I've hovered around the fringes since being diagnosed almost 18 months ago, reading the brilliantly helpful suggestions and some amazing success stories but never felt a strong enough urge to post anything until today. You all - with your amazingly eloquent and well-researched advice - spurred me to go against my GP and the NHS dietician's advice and try the LCHF approach. I'd tried low-carbing (on a milder scale) when first diagnosed, with some success but following an appointment with the dietician at our local Diabetes clinic I became brainwashed with her advocating the 'balanced plate' method - carbs with every meal and and low fat choices with everything.

This did not work. I gained the weight I had lost and then some, my blood sugars peaked out, I felt ill, sluggish, unmotivated and I was probably in denial about it all. Until earlier this year - my blood tests showed some liver inflammation and a subsequent scan because of family history diagnosed a fatty liver. I couldn't ignore it any longer, I've got two young boys and I want to be around to see them grow into young men, so I had to do something.

Determined to make a change I came back to the forum, read some stuff that really inspired me and shortly after a big birthday at the end of Feb decided to give it a go. I've found lots of amazing recipes via Pinterest and food blogs and although I can't say it's always been easy I've stuck with it now for about 11 weeks. I've lost almost 2 and a half stone in the process, feel so much better, no bloating, sluggishness, afternoon slumps, dizziness. And I'm just getting to the really good bit that made me decide to post today - following a blood test earlier this week, came in to a letter this morning from GP saying there has been a 'spectacular improvement' in my results - liver function and HbA1c are both now normal (letter attached) !!!! I don't have the precise figures but will get them when I go in to discuss with them next week.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lchf-rocks.101229/
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri May 20 2016, 22:53

Quite amazing, no-one jumped in to warn her about the dire consequences of not eating enough starch.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun May 22 2016, 21:40

chris c wrote:Quite amazing, no-one jumped in to warn her about the dire consequences of not eating enough starch.

There's not many of the anti's around now Chris just that old drama queen cherub and noblehead both now impartial Rolling Eyes  mods, jopar made a brief come back only to be put in her place by another T1 not been seen since.  Phoenix also seems to have given up the ghost after eight years of trying to convince T2s to follow a much discredited GI diet, dear old Sid has also gone quiet of late his occasional posts were mainly rants about low carb facepalm
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue May 24 2016, 22:39

Astonishing!
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue May 24 2016, 22:59

chris c wrote:Astonishing!

IanD is still spreading the word, his is one of the best anecdotal n=1 long term study, he reversed the diabetic complications brought by years of diligently following the DUK guidelines by switching to low carb over eight years ago. He his also enrolled on the Sabre heart study which continues to give him a clean bill of health
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue May 24 2016, 23:53

Oh I remember him, I'm surprised he didn't get banned.

So the Flog may be worth reading again?
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed May 25 2016, 21:31

chris c wrote:So the Flog may be worth reading again?

Not really unless your suffering from insomnia Laughing  Debate has been stifled by some power crazed mods, post editing, deleting and banning of members. That said there are a few well informed members that are doing a good job.

Could things be about to change though, it would appear so if Osidges apology is anything to go by

The BDA and the diet of slow death. Capture%2Bosidge

Link to thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-2s-what-was-your-fasting-blood-glucose-in-a-morning.81585/page-540#post-1157630

Last edited by graham64 on Thu May 26 2016, 22:46; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri May 27 2016, 22:07

Page 540, does this actually beat the Three Word Game???

Yeah I spend most of my time reading and re-reading numerous blogs, and downloading papers, here is one I haven't read yet but it looks interesting.

Many of them are invaded by Militant vegans and Low Carb Antis. It's strangely amusing to see what is obviously the same few individuals using different names on different blogs while posting the same stuff, often from Plant Positive.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri May 27 2016, 22:27

chris c wrote:Page 540, does this actually beat the Three Word Game???

Yeah I spend most of my time reading and re-reading numerous blogs, and downloading papers, here is one I haven't read yet but it looks interesting.

Many of them are invaded by Militant vegans and Low Carb Antis. It's strangely amusing to see what is obviously the same few individuals using different names on different blogs while posting the same stuff, often from Plant Positive.

Had a quick look at the abstract of that paper and I don't fit into the criteria, no family history in fact as far as I can tell I was the first in both my Mother and Dad's  family, my mum was diagnosed at 93 which is more likely to be an age related thing
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri May 27 2016, 22:38

There's always one Razz

There's diabetes in one specific line of my family, and I have little doubt that the (mostly) males who died prematurely of CVD would have been undiagnosed diabetics.

A friend had so many diabetics in her family that as a child she believed old people lost their limbs in the same way that trees lose their leaves in autumn.

OTOH there are other singletons seemingly with no genetic involvement, some probably drug induced (steroids among others), it'll be interesting to see if the statins cause diabetes in genetic or nongenetic populations, if you see what I mean.

A friend's elderly cardiologist had some good lines, he reckoned that everyone would become diabetic eventually but for most people it would happen at age 150 after they had died of something else, and that a lot of the "diseases of civilisation" could be seen as premature ageing.

He also called Type 2 "a cardiovascular disease sometimes associated with raised blood glucose" which pretty much channels Joseph Kraft, and later Gerald Reaven.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 04:49