The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Have a Chat

Jan1

Female Posts : 4271

Re: Have a Chat

Post by Jan1 on Sun Nov 05 2017, 17:38

Yes, it's the 5th of November and the fireworks are flying high in the sky.
    We just open the blinds/curtains and a wondrous display can be seen.
    The colours and zooming rocket stars look good and all from the comfort of the living room! LOL!

A few days ago the grandchildren really liked their sparklers and it took me back to when I used to write my name in the air with them ... happy memories.

Safety is always key though!

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Nov 05 2017, 23:25

Oh I used to love Firework Night! There used to be an absolute riot of fireworks from about 6 o'clock on, I didn't know which window to watch from next, or when was best to have our own display.

I used to make them too, with a fair degree of success but usually a lot of smoke. Nowadays they'd probably arrest my parents and put me into care.

They no longer sell fireworks in town here and haven't for years. There's a big display at the Big House, carefully concealed in a bowl in the landscape so people who haven't paid don't get to see them except for the highest mortar shells and things. There used to be a big display in a nearby village where we used to live and the Police would seal off a lot of the local roads again so people who hadn't paid couldn't see them.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Nov 10 2017, 18:43

Our children loved their Playmobil sets, and it seems they are still going strong.

Playmobil pirate ship continues its round-the-world adventure

I thought this was such a sweet picture of Ollie Ferguson and brother Harry, with their toy pirate ship.

"A toy pirate ship which sailed from Scotland to Scandinavia has been launched off Africa for more adventures with the help of a Norwegian tall ship.
    The Playmobil boat travelled to Denmark, Sweden and Norway after being launched by Ollie Ferguson, eight, and his brother, Harry, five, from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, at the end of May.
    It has now been transported more than 3,000 miles (4,828km) south to the Southern Atlantic by Christian Radich, a Norwegian full-rigged ship, who offered to help the toy ship on its journey."

Read more here
    https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2017/11/10/playmobil-pirate-ship-continues-its-round-the-world-adventure/

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sat Nov 11 2017, 01:39

Oh bless!

Several years ago neighbours had a coffee morning and raffle for a charity for MS (which he subsequently died from, I think at only 71 Sad )

Among the events was one where you guessed how far a Teddy bear which had been in their car for a year had travelled.

I won the bear, so I put it in my car and then re-raffled it the following year. I can't remember who won it then but I expect it's still lurking around the town somewhere.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Nov 14 2017, 19:14

Boy snaps Loch Ness monster in eighth 'official' sighting this year

Monster fever is sweeping Loch Ness

Monster fever is sweeping Loch Ness again after a boy of nine took a photo of a mysterious "fin" in the water.

Eager Sam Knight snapped the amazing picture during a cruise on the loch.

It shows a dark triangle shape breaking the surface in an area known as a top Nessie haunt.
    And experts, who at first were divided over whether it was a wave or an animal, have credited it as an official sighting of the monster at the centre of the 1,500-year-old Highlands legend.

The sighting is the eighth this year, the highest annual total so far this century.

Sam was so keen to go monster-spotting during a family holiday in the area he even brought ropes in the hope of tying Nessie to the boat and a kit to take genetic samples.

During the cruise he took hundreds of pictures of the loch – and it was as the family studied them later the incredible "fin" shot emerged.
    Mum Dr Jo Knight, a genetics expert at Lancaster University, said: "Sam is very excited.

"It appears to be a very dark shape somewhere in Urquhart Bay. It is part of the mystery."
    Dr Knight said she and Sam do not think Nessie is a long-necked dinosaur, but possibly a giant eel or sturgeon.

Nessie records keeper Gary Campbell said 2107 had been a "vintage" year for sightings, with newlyweds Rebecca and Paul Stewart spotting a large fin just last month.

The most famous picture of the monster, the 1934 Surgeon's Photograph, was later exposed as a hoax.

https://www.aol.co.uk/travel/2017/11/14/boy-9-snaps-loch-ness-monster-in-eighth-official-sighting-th/

...wouldn't it be great if there was a loch ness monster ? ! ? !

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Nov 16 2017, 01:23

There've been a lot of myths about sea monsters, there was the Lambton Worm in Durham, and of course Great Orme head. Of course dolphins and whales are regular sightings on the coasts, and sometimes they get beached, it's not impossible they would make it into Loch Ness. Seals too, we sometimes get them way inland on the local rivers. A while back I saw three or possibly four otters doing a credible monster impression at Minsmere, swimming in convoy looking like a long thing with humps.

I've seen some pretty big pike, and carp too, as Eddie would likely confirm.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Nov 17 2017, 18:02

Change of subject again!
    Well why not Smile

It's the Annual BBC Children In Need Day ... out earlier and there were quite a few getting in the swing of things.

The Marathon Show is on BBC 1 later tonight, however, I don't think it will be on in our house.
    Good luck to all who help raise funds ... people always seem to give generously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/corporate2/childreninneed

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Yesterday at 10:56

This year's Children in Need took place on Friday, November 17 at 7:30pm on BBC1.

The money donated is used to change the lives of disadvantaged children and young people in the UK.
    To date the charity event has raised more than £890 million to help make a difference in the lives of the children who needed it.

On the website they write: "We are currently supporting around 2,400 projects that are working with children facing a range of disadvantages.
    "These include poverty and deprivation; disabled young people and children who have been the victims of abuse or neglect."

What was the total raised?
    A grand total of £50,168562 was raised by the end of the night, beating last year's record comfortably.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4693062/bbc-children-in-need-total-raised-presenters/

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19 2017, 04:53