THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Jan1
Derek
Sharon
mo1905
Paul1976
Andy12345
10 posters

Have a Chat

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Have a Chat - Page 13 Empty Re: Have a Chat

Post by graham64 Sun Aug 13 2017, 00:07

chris c wrote:Yes I think I'll see if I can't get a DNR order, it'll be a quicker and less unpleasant death than going to hospital.

Hopefully no lasting damage. I remembered long ago I clunked my head on the car boot and cut my scalp. In no time flat I looked like a victim from a slasher movie but the cut was actually tiny and healed up quickly with no treatment. I concluded that the scalp actually contains more blood than the entire rest of the body.

No lasting damage Chris just not got the glue out of my hair yet but I concur with blood loss from such a small cut, I remember being sat in the kitchen and the amount of kitchen roll used in an attempt to stem the flow was unbelievable. My shirt collar was covered in the red stuff as were my jeans Shocked
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Aug 13 2017, 23:17

Hehe yeah, the bang to my head was barely worth saying ow! about. Next thing I thought "I'm sweating a bit, wonder why" then the blood started to drip onto my shirt, and the ground, and I realised it wasn't sweat at all running down my face. I nearly had a panic attack when I saw myself in the wing mirror, but by then the cut had pretty much healed itself and the bleeding stopped.

I do worry a bit about falling, it seems much easier to do as you get older, only takes a fraction of a second's inattention. Usually when I'm out I have my phone, and I'm learning to keep it charged, the old one would last a week or four between charges, the problem would be inside the house if I got stuck somewhere. I'm pondering about giving a key to a neighbour, with instructions to look in if they don't see the lights or curtains move for a while. That way they might also find my corpse before it starts to putrefy. But it has to be someone who I can trust NOT to call an ambulance unless I say so.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Aug 14 2017, 22:18

chris c wrote:Hehe yeah, the bang to my head was barely worth saying ow! about. Next thing I thought "I'm sweating a bit, wonder why" then the blood started to drip onto my shirt, and the ground, and I realised it wasn't sweat at all running down my face. I nearly had a panic attack when I saw myself in the wing mirror, but by then the cut had pretty much healed itself and the bleeding stopped.

I do worry a bit about falling, it seems much easier to do as you get older, only takes a fraction of a second's inattention. Usually when I'm out I have my phone, and I'm learning to keep it charged, the old one would last a week or four between charges, the problem would be inside the house if I got stuck somewhere. I'm pondering about giving a key to a neighbour, with instructions to look in if they don't see the lights or curtains move for a while. That way they might also find my corpse before it starts to putrefy. But it has to be someone who I can trust NOT to call an ambulance unless I say so.

It's a good to provide a key to a neighbour and that's what I do, the bloke next door who like me is a widower has my key and phone number of my daughter likewise I have a key and contact numbers for his property, mind you since my accident I have frequent visits from neighbours checking up on me I'm having to convince them that apart a few aches and pains I'm fine
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Aug 15 2017, 19:08

graham64 wrote:
    chris c wrote:Hehe yeah, the bang to my head was barely worth saying ow! about. Next thing I thought "I'm sweating a bit, wonder why" then the blood started to drip onto my shirt, and the ground, and I realised it wasn't sweat at all running down my face. I nearly had a panic attack when I saw myself in the wing mirror, but by then the cut had pretty much healed itself and the bleeding stopped.

It's a good to provide a key to a neighbour and that's what I do, the bloke next door who like me is a widower has my key and phone number of my daughter likewise I have a key and contact numbers for his property, mind you since my accident I have frequent visits from neighbours checking up on me I'm having to convince them that apart a few aches and pains I'm fine

Your neighbours sound very good Graham ...
    Nice to read that in 2017 this still happens. There are so many stories in the papers about some folk do not see anyone from one day to the next. We don't have to be 'nosey parkers' or make nuisances of ourselves to others but what a difference it a can make to folk, especially older folks, who realise that they have a friendly neighbour.

Changing the subject a little, we've enjoyed a glorious day today - even the neighbours lawn mower was going this afternoon Exclamation

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Aug 15 2017, 22:37

Jan1 wrote:
    graham64 wrote:

Your neighbours sound very good Graham ...
    Nice to read that in 2017 this still happens. There are so many stories in the papers about some folk do not see anyone from one day to the next. We don't have to be 'nosey parkers' or make nuisances of ourselves to others but what a difference it a can make to folk, especially older folks, who realise that they have a friendly neighbour.

Changing the subject a little, we've enjoyed a glorious day today - even the neighbours lawn mower was going this afternoon Exclamation

All the best Jan

Yes they are good neighbours Jan couldn't wish for better though were not in each others pockets we always find time to have a chat  Cool

Past two days the weather has been good cut my lawns yesterday and been pottering about in the garden today  sunny
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Aug 15 2017, 23:30

Same here, though walking round the streets could take ages with all the people I'd have to stop and chat with.

Not a few of them have since died. I had one of the local gardeners round the other day, he was seeking new sponsors for his annual charity cycle ride for the local churches and he was also bemoaning the fact that so many of his old sponsors had passed on and were now in the churchyards.

He must be in his eighties by now himself, mostly he just mows lawns now, and his new mower has powered wheels.

I left the side door unlocked for more than a decade, but one or two people have reported strange visitors so I've now taken to keeping it locked. Also many of the new young folks who have moved in aren't very friendly compared to the old folks they've replaced. So it goes, just more slowly here.

graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Aug 17 2017, 22:00

chris c wrote:Same here, though walking round the streets could take ages with all the people I'd have to stop and chat with.

Not a few of them have since died. I had one of the local gardeners round the other day, he was seeking new sponsors for his annual charity cycle ride for the local churches and he was also bemoaning the fact that so many of his old sponsors had passed on and were now in the churchyards.

He must be in his eighties by now himself, mostly he just mows lawns now, and his new mower has powered wheels.

I left the side door unlocked for more than a decade, but one or two people have reported strange visitors so I've now taken to keeping it locked. Also many of the new young folks who have moved in aren't very friendly compared to the old folks they've replaced. So it goes, just more slowly here.

Reckon I could get away with leaving doors unlocked not that I intend to, I think being a cul-de-sac is a bit of a deterrent itself we get very few strangers coming our way mostly they are ramblers heading for the local country park and don't  realise it's a cul-de-sac  Very Happy
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Aug 19 2017, 23:21

This was a bit of an eye opener

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2017/05/28/mike-cawdrey-a-tribute/

I still see his responses on the BMJ website from time to time and always upvote them, and wipe away a little tear
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Aug 20 2017, 21:44

chris c wrote:This was a bit of an eye opener

I still see his responses on the BMJ website from time to time and always upvote them, and wipe away a little tear

Yes it was a terrible shame it's hard do understand why an elderly couple died in such a senseless and violent way, sad.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Aug 22 2017, 14:51

graham64 wrote:
    chris c wrote:This was a bit of an eye opener

Yes it was a terrible shame it's hard do understand why an elderly couple died in such a senseless and violent way, sad.

This is the result of the so called "Care in the community" hardly a day goes by and we read of a severely mentally ill person (known to the authorities) attacking and often killing someone. The fact is the general law abiding public are seen as cannon fodder these days.

I wonder if Chris was giving it large at the Cromer on Sea debacle at the weekend, well, ya never know. mrgreen
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Aug 23 2017, 00:52

Actually the vast majority of "mentally ill" people are far more of a danger to themselves than anyone else. Police and politicians, not so much.

Haven't been to Cromer since before my mother died. I took her up there to try to find the place she used to stay about eighty years earlier - well at Sidestrand actually, one of her uncles was head gardener on a big estate owned by posh people. Couldn't find the right place, which on research turned out to be a Special School today, and a lot of the land fell into the sea, which happens round these parts.

We went on to Cromer and bought crabs, as you do. NOT the sort of place you'd expect trouble, not like Lowestoft for example.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Aug 30 2017, 17:36

Well the ‘Great British Bake Off’ made its Channel 4 debut on Tuesday (29 August) night and apparently the broadcaster’s bosses are pretty pleased with the amount of viewers who tuned in.
    Figures released on Wednesday (30 August) reveal that an average of 6.5 million saw the series opener, while at its peak point, 7.7 million were watching ...

Although I enjoy cooking it's a programme I've never watched !!!
    Many of my friends do and those that I have spoken to today were not keen on the advert breaks.
    If it's possible perhaps they'll watch it on 'catch-up' minus the adverts next week... it's a thought.

One programme Eddie and I are enjoying is the new Levison Wood Channel 4 show on Sundays 8pm. This time he is walking from Russia to Iran ...
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/846630/Levison-Wood-Channel-4-From-Russia-To-Iran

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Sep 03 2017, 21:24

The adverts (and the between-programme "coming shortly" stings) are why I mostly record everything and watch them later.

I never summoned up much interest for baking, can't imagine why . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 19 2017, 16:56

It seems whatever country you live in these days travel is never easy.

With ever increasing threats to our way of life travel delays are to be expected.

The latest UK one was today on the M1
    "A bomb disposal robot was called to the M1 after a 'suspicious object' was found under a motorway bridge.
    The road is closed in both directions between junctions 14 and 15 in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, causing huge tailbacks - and police are urging motorists to stay away."

I have read some reports saying football was being played to pass the time.
    Safety has to be foremost for all and yes, the outcome could have been far worse ... but I'm sure there were a lot of disgruntled folk.

All the best Jan

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/bomb-disposal-robot-removes-yellow-bubbling-liquid-from-m1-after-police-shut-motorway-due-to-suspect-object/ar-AAscPak?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 20 2017, 23:19

A while back one of the motorways was closed and a coach surrounded by armed Police. The culprit turned out to be someone using an E-cigarette.

If it was brown smoke it could have been nitric acid, that looks quite fearsome (ask me how I know!)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 21 2017, 21:04

chris c wrote: ....

If it was brown smoke it could have been nitric acid, that looks quite fearsome (ask me how I know!)

I don't know much anything about nitric acid ... so go on then - How do you know?  Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Sep 24 2017, 23:38

Used to work in electroplating where we used some heavy duty stuff for metal cleaning, including nitric, sulphuric and hydrochloric acids and sodium cyanide, which MUST NOT be mixed with the acids at all and must always be used with the fume extractor hood switched on. Oh and hydrofluoric acid which would eat through glass and had to be kept in specific plastics.

The HF would not only eat through skin and flesh but poison as it went. Strangely the nitric was relatively harmless when concentrated, you could wind people up by cupping it in your hand where it would emit brown fumes and dye your skin orange, BUT if there was the least trace of water it would become activated (needed the water to ionise) and then your fingers were rapidly toast.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 29 2017, 20:10

It was the Macmillan Worlds Biggest Coffee morning today, you may have seen some of the many adverts.
    It is usually very well supported and our local church was holding it's own version.

I always suggest that if you should want to bake a cake to raise funds for this very good organisation - how abut taking along a low carb one Smile  

https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t2309-looking-for-low-carb-cakes-here-are-some

https://coffee.macmillan.org.uk/about/what/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Oct 17 2017, 16:39

Our internet connection was playing up yesterday. Three times it went down ... what a great excuse to sit and read my book Smile

So what happens this afternoon, I sign into the Forum get my post about 'The Search For Sugar Substitutes' ready hit the publish button, and nothing happens affraid

Then I get the message the Forum is offline for maintenance please try again later Grrrr Evil or Very Mad

Oh well, think it's back to normal now.

I'm off for a cuppa ... can I pour you one?
    cuppa

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 18 2017, 00:47

Mine dropped out a while back. As usual it turned out to be a BT issue, but I couldn't find that out until it came back up. Which reminds me, I should set up my new phone with my ISP, they emit tests when they detect a problem.

I've had a few line drops recently too but only briefly, I suspect an elderly joint getting damp somewhere under the street. When the lineman came out to fit my new line he spent a while recrimping some of the joints he spotted under the manhole, but he said he couldn't do many of them in case The Management found out. Apparently they are now instructed to leave things until they actually break before mending them, like for example overhanging trees can no longer be pruned until they bring the wire down.

Mine's a coffee . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 23 2017, 17:41

Time for something cute!
    Well I think it is Smile

Owl rescued by railway workers during Storm Ophelia.

The bird had a broken wing and was showing signs of an electric shock from the railway's overhead power lines.

Have a Chat - Page 13 Dims?resize=640%2C427&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fcontent.assets.pressassociation.io%2F2017%2F10%2F17190422%2Fedb789fe81926e7cfe152ff0433255b9

An owl has been rescued by railway workers after becoming trapped under a tree during Storm Ophelia.
    The injured bird was discovered by Network Rail staff as they carried out post-storm inspections at Styal, Cheshire, on Tuesday morning.

"It was trapped amongst the branches which had been pulled clear of the tracks the night before.
    The tree damaged the power lines as it fell - which explains the owl's suspected electric shock.
    While our feathered friend was in the wrong place at the wrong time when the tree came down, he was lucky we came back as he would have undoubtedly died if we hadn't rescued him."

Read more of the story here
    https://www.aol.co.uk/travel/2017/10/17/tony-the-tawny-owl-rescued-after-storm-ophelia/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D1211530830_uk

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Oct 26 2017, 22:48

Oh bless!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 27 2017, 22:26

Sometimes when you ask the question:
    What did you do today?
    - or
    Did anything funny happen to you today?
    - you may be stumped because you've just had an ordinary kind of day.

Well not for me LOL! Because today I was chased by a friendly witch!
    She was on her way to a fancy dress party ... and couldn't resist trying to be spooky.

But somehow this five year old looked adorable and not spooky at all Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Oct 30 2017, 00:24

We never had Halloween when I was young.

They're pretty well disciplined here, probably because of all the old folks they only trick or treat at houses with a pumpkin out.

Oh I just remembered, all the tills in the Co-Op were adorned with cobwebs and stick-on spiders.

In Durham we had "forst footin'" where you turned up at your neighbours with a lump of coal and a bottle of broon ale as the New Year chimed in. Do that in Surrey and they'd call the Police.

Last edited by chris c on Mon Oct 30 2017, 00:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a bit)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Nov 04 2017, 11:34

Have a Chat - Page 13 OASpooksters

Halloween was good for the grandchildren

Apple bobbing was enjoyed at the Halloween party

Have a Chat - Page 13 OApplebobbing

All the best Jan

Sponsored content