The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Strawberries

graham64

Male Posts : 2867

Strawberries

Post by graham64 on Sat Jan 30 2016, 23:33

Not usually impressed with Spanish strawberries but I got some from Asda called Victory and they are not bad at all, not the dark colour of the normal Spanish ones sweeter and not as hard overall, worth a try if your missing English varieties  Cool

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4027

Re: Strawberries

Post by Jan1 on Sun Jan 31 2016, 12:34

Just love strawberries, raspberries, blue berries ... even blackberries with a nice helping of double cream !

So thanks for the tip here re the ones at Asda Smile

Perhaps have to make a strawberry sponge cake ?

http://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t310-strawberry-sponge-cake?highlight=strawberry+sponge+cake

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/oh-no-not-strawberry-lowcarb-sponge.html

All the best Jan
    flower
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1637

Post by Andy12345 on Sun Jan 31 2016, 18:48

until the spring I've given up on fresh berries, I'm on the frozen ones, they are much stronger, i only ever eat them in yogurt and they are perfect as the yogurt dilutes the strength, i was sick of hard strawberries, that gone rotten a day after buying them, maybe get the boss to buy some of those and try them, as i do love a strawberry, thanks mate
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Jan 31 2016, 19:31

My mother had a fetish for never eating strawberries until Wimbledon. I must confess some of the out-of-season ones can be pretty mediocre, she had a point, but with the increase in glasshouses I do tend to eat them over a longer season.

My favourite is Elsanta but there are some other varieties which are quite good - and some that are well below average. I'll have a look and see if these are in the Co-Op.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Jul 18 2017, 22:22

We've been enjoying British strawberries for some few weeks now ...
    I usually look for Elsanta or Sonata but this week I bought the Murano variety, and they taste good, especially when served with some double cream sunny

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Jul 19 2017, 22:43

I got some Elsantas! And clotted cream! Add some ground flaxseed and drizzle with brandy and summer is here!
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Jul 22 2017, 19:04

@chris c wrote:I got some Elsantas! And clotted cream! Add some ground flaxseed and drizzle with brandy and summer is here!

Sounds delicious ...

We have enough in the fridge for tonights meal ... soon to be served, but then I need to replenish strawwberry supplies  sunny

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26 2017, 07:42