THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Scandichic
Paul1976
6 posters

Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie Empty Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie

Post by Paul1976 Thu Aug 14 2014, 11:31

Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie 245

Serves 5-6

For the base.

500 grams of minced lamb

2 medium leeks (finely sliced)

1 large onion(finely chopped)

1 medium carrot(chopped into small pieces)

juice from 1 fresh Lemon

1 tablespoon of dried Oregano

1 tablespoon of dried Basil

1 vegetable stock cube

2 Lamb stock cubes

1 small glass of Red wine(optional)

Salt and pepper for seasoning to taste.

For the topping.

700 grams of chopped cauliflower

750 grams of diced swede

2 tablespoons of softened butter

A dash of cream (optional)

Salt and pepper to taste

Method

In a large pan on a medium heat,melt some butter and add the carrot,onion and leek and gently fry until softened,then add the minced lamb,Oregano,Basil,stock cubes,lemon juice and continue to stir until the lamb is browned,then add the glass of optional red wine and a dash of salt and pepper and let it bubble away slowly for 5 minutes,transfer the mix to a large oven proof dish and leave it in the fridge for 2 hours  to settle (This prevents the topping from sinking into the base)

For the topping,either boil or steam the cauliflower and swede until softened,transfer to a large bowl,season with salt and pepper if desired and then add the softened butter and a dash of optional cream and either mash by hand or use a stick blender(I used a stick blender for a smooth topping) until smooth.

Add the topping evenly over the base and cook for around 45 minutes at 180 celsius  (My oven is fan assisted so times may vary)

serve with some buttered broccoli or french beans and enjoy !
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie Empty Re: Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie

Post by Scandichic Thu Aug 14 2014, 11:52

paul1976 wrote:Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie 245

Serves 5-6

For the base.

500 grams of minced lamb

juice from 1 fresh Lemon

1 vegetable stock cube

2 Lamb stock cubes

For the topping.

750 grams of diced swede

Salt and pepper to taste

Method

In a large pan on a medium heat,melt some butter and add the carrot,onion and leek and gently fry until softened,then add the minced lamb,Oregano,Basil,stock cubes,lemon juice and continue to stir until the lamb is browned,then add the glass of optional red wine and a dash of salt and pepper and let it bubble away slowly for 5 minutes,transfer the mix to a large oven proof dish and leave it in the fridge for 2 hours  to settle (This prevents the topping from sinking into the base)

For the topping,either boil or steam the cauliflower and swede until softened,transfer to a large bowl,season with salt and pepper if desired and then add the softened butter and a dash of optional cream and either mash by hand or use a stick blender(I used a stick blender for a smooth topping) until smooth.

Add the topping evenly over the base and cook for around 45 minutes at 180 celsius  (My oven is fan assisted so times may vary)

Do you think it might work with carrot and swede mash as I can buy that ready chopped and diced?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Aug 14 2014, 11:55

I can't see why not  Wink It'll have a few more carbs per portion with the cauliflower substituted with Carrot but far less than the standard potato topping.  Wink 
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Aug 14 2014, 12:37

Great recipe to share Paul.

I think mashed swede as a topping works well, I always add plenty of butter ...tastes great.

I have seen the ready chopped carrot and swede packets, haven't tried it though.....but it can't be too high a carb content can it? I'm sure the pack would give a guide.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 17 2014, 19:20

Dinner tonight is Shepherds Pie ...similar recipe to Pauls but I've also added a can of chopped tomatoes, as I type this it's looking and smelling great.

Glass of white wine optional to accompany the meal, or should it be red?  sunny

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Oct 18 2014, 13:44

I've made it for dinner tonight but I'm using beef instead of Lamb and adding cheese to the topping-a kinda 'Cumberland pie' so to speak. Very Happy
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Oct 18 2014, 13:47

Jan1 wrote:

Glass of white wine optional to accompany the meal, or should it be red?  sunny

All the best Jan

I'd say Red,such as a nice Cabernet Sauvignon to go with it,not forgetting a generous amount of plonk in the recipe itself. Very Happy
    Sharon

Post by Sharon Sat Oct 18 2014, 16:16

get mixed up . what is shepherds pie ? what is cottage pie ? what is cumberland pie ? i use beef mostly.
    seen some recipes with ale .
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Oct 18 2014, 16:20

Sharon wrote:get mixed up . what is shepherds pie ? what is cottage pie ? what is cumberland pie ? i use beef mostly.

As I was told growing up(and I may be wrong here) but Shepherds pie is made with lamb,Cottage pie with beef and Cumberland pie is also made with beef but the topping contains cheese. Smile

Cheers

Paul
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Oct 18 2014, 23:35

Paul wrote:
    Sharon wrote:get mixed up . what is shepherds pie ? what is cottage pie ? what is cumberland pie ? i use beef mostly.

As I was told growing up(and I may be wrong here) but Shepherds pie is made with lamb,Cottage pie with beef and Cumberland pie is also made with beef but the topping contains cheese. Smile

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Yes, I too remember being taught a shepherd looks after sheep so it's lamb .....so a cottage pie is beef.

Now if I make a cottage pie and use buttery mashed swede with a cheesy topping I'm going to call that 'Jan's Cumberland Pie'

I have made a beef and ale casserole but not added ale to a shepherds pie but a little wine mixed with the gravy does give it an added taste.  Smile

All the best Jan
    Two Collies
    Two Collies

Male Posts : 133

Post by Two Collies Sun Oct 19 2014, 11:53

Paul wrote:Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie 245

Serves 5-6

For the base.

500 grams of minced lamb

juice from 1 fresh Lemon

1 vegetable stock cube

2 Lamb stock cubes

For the topping.

750 grams of diced swede

Salt and pepper to taste

Method

I do the "Floyd Thing" and add a glass of red to the dish and "neck" the rest of the bottle! lol!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Oct 19 2014, 11:55

Looks lovely. Is the top layer mashed swede ?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sun Oct 19 2014, 11:59

Two Collies wrote:
    Paul wrote:Paul's reduced carb Shepherds Pie 245

Serves 5-6

For the base.

500 grams of minced lamb

juice from 1 fresh Lemon

1 vegetable stock cube

2 Lamb stock cubes

For the topping.

750 grams of diced swede

Salt and pepper to taste

Method

I do the "Floyd Thing" and add a glass of red to the dish and "neck" the rest of the bottle! lol!

Me too! Twisted Evil
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sun Oct 19 2014, 12:00

mo1905 wrote:Looks lovely. Is the top layer mashed swede ?

Hi Mo! It's a mixture of mashed swede and cauliflower,seems to work really well. Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Oct 19 2014, 12:02

Thanks Paul. We normally have carrot and swede mash which would work I guess. Take care !
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Oct 19 2014, 18:46

mo1905 wrote:Thanks Paul. We normally have carrot and swede mash which would work I guess. Take care !

Reckon a carrot and swede mash would work well.

This dish is one for all family members to enjoy sunny

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 00:17