THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
Andy12345
Sharon
Paul1976
Martin1
8 posters

Low Carb Snacks

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Low Carb Snacks - Page 2 Empty Re: Low Carb Snacks

Post by Jan1 Mon Jul 24 2017, 18:01

If you are travelling ... catching a plane, here are '5 Low-Carb Snack Options At The Airport.'

Ideas courtesy of Libby at Ditch The Carbs Site.

Option One is Nuts

Option Two is Berries

Option  Three is Avocados

Option Four is Vegetable Slices

Option Five is Creamy Coffee

You'll find more details here
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2017/07/24/5-low-carb-snack-options-at-the-airport/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ditchthecarbs%2Fpkck+%28Ditch+The+Carbs%29

Come to think of it snacks like this can be eaten anytime, anywhere !!! Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 27 2017, 18:05

If you want to learn the quick way, to prepare easy low-carb snacks for a crowd ... then take a look at Libby's Ditch The Carbs Site here

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/easy-low-carb-snacks/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 21 2017, 12:53

Michael Joseph at Nutrition Advance Site has been busy ...
    He has compiled a post called '99 Healthy Snacks For All Situations'

He says:
    "Nutritious meals are always better than snacking.
    However, sometimes we feel the urge to eat food away from meal times. In this situation, we often make the wrong choice and opt for highly-processed food products.
    Fortunately, there are dozens of healthy food options.
    This article takes a look at 99 healthy snacks across nine different categories, so there is something for everyone.
    Use the menu below to see snacks for specific situations (like for school children or office workers), or just keep reading to see them all."

Lots to read and see here
    http://nutritionadvance.com/healthy-snacks/

All the best Jan
    flower
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Mar 12 2018, 11:14

Another article from Michael Joseph at Nutrition Advance ...

15 High-Protein, Low-Carb Snacks That Taste Delicious

There are so many unhealthy snacks out there, and too many people subsist on cakes, cookies, and potato chips.
    Fortunately, there is a wide range of healthier alternatives too.
    For those who need a few ideas, this article will present 15 delicious snacks suitable for a high-protein, low-carb diet.
    The vast majority of these are portable too, so you can eat them in or outside of the home.
    No sugars, oils, or unhealthy additives - just good food.

More to read here
    https://nutritionadvance.com/high-protein-low-carb-snacks/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Mar 13 2018, 12:05

Low Carb Snacks - Page 2 Pepperoni-Pizza-Bites

Looking for a tasty change ... why not try some baked pepperoni. It makes spicy, crisp shells for sautéed veggies topped with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella. Read on for the recipe ...

Ingredients:
    Serves 6
    4.5g carb per serving

12 deli sliced sandwich-size pepperoni (about 3 inches across)
    1/4 cup minced green peppers
    3/4 cup minced yellow onion, divided into three portions
    1/4 cup minced mushrooms
    1/4 cup minced broccoli
    1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    3/4 cup tomato sauce
    1 cup grated whole milk mozzarella
    3 tbsp. minced fresh basil

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400°F. / 200°C. / Gas Mark 6
    2. To prepare pepperoni cups, cut two one-inch slits on opposite sides of each slice of pepperoni, and push slices into a mini muffin tin. Bake for 2 minutes, until edges are crisp.
    3. Remove from oven and let cool. Place pepperoni cups on absorbent paper. Wipe extra oil from muffin tins.
    4. Sauté onions and pepper until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and sauté onions and mushrooms, until soft. Remove from pan, and sauté onions and broccoli.
    5. Return cups to muffin tins, and fill four with onion and peppers. Fill four with mushroom mixture, and four with broccoli mixture. Cover each with 1 tsp of tomato sauce. Divide cheese among the cups.
    6. Bake for 3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh basil, and serve immediately.

If you are having a party or family get-together ... just double the ingredients!

From an original idea here
    http://dlife.com/recipes/pepperoni-pizza-bites/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Mar 13 2018, 22:53

I had a pretty good snack last night - lightly fried some slices of halloumi in olive oil and ate them with a thickly buttered oatcake. Took less time to cook than to eat.

I enjoyed it so much I might have some more tonight.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Mar 17 2018, 19:32

In the Co-Op I was poking through the Halloumi making sure I didn't get a low fat one by mistake.

There was a dear little old lady next to me, doing the same with the mozzarella. She said she was going to grate it over a piece of haddock, something I hadn't previously thought of.

Mother always poached haddock in milk, which I think came from her mother, them melted butter over the top. I do it in water, slather it in butter, and usually have it with toasted almonds and spinach. Maybe I'll try some with cheese next week.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Mar 19 2018, 11:21

Interesting to read about the lady and grated mozzarella. Reading around the blogs and internet (as I do!) more and more folks are grating/shredding mozzarella over foods such as fish - tasty!

My mum always poached in milk and it's so quick and easy.
    Looking back at memories of both my mum and Gran cooking often brings a smile to my face.

Daughter-in-law loves cooking whole fresh foods and the grandchildren often watch and help her (supervised for safety of course).

Going back to low carb snacks our quick favourite at the moment is manchego cheese wrapped in ham although it works well with gouda too!
    Of course manchego and asparagus and toasted almonds is also yummy!
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/m-is-for-manchego-also-great-with.html

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Aug 23 2018, 23:47

Parmesan Cheese Crisps/Chips : Low Carb Snack

Low Carb Snacks - Page 2 Parmesan-Chips%2Bdd

These Parmesan Cheese Chips/Crisps are easy to prepare …
    All you need is Parmesan cheese and your favourite seeds and you're good to go! Has low-carb snacking ever been cheesier, crispier or crunchier!?

Ingredients
    (Two Servings, about 15 Crisps)
    2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
    2⁄3 oz. (20g) chia seeds
    2⁄3 oz. (20g) flaxseed
    2⁄3 oz. (20g) pumpkin seeds

… Feel free to use any seed you like; try sesame, hemp and others.

Instructions are here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/parmesan-chips

For guidance on weight/measurement conversion please see here
    http://startcooking.com/measurement-and-conversion-charts

Parmesan Cheese ..."Originates from the Parma region of Italy, this is one of the world’s most popular cheeses, stamped with the official Parmigiano Reggiano mark as a guarantee of origin. Fragrant and tangy, it has a hard, grainy texture and a buttery yellow colour. Once tasted, it's hard to resist the delicious piquant taste and crumbly texture of parmesan. There are countless ways to savour the flavour.

Parmesan, or Parmigiano-Reggiano to give it its proper name, is one of those magical flavour-enhancing ingredients. A few curls of finely shaved parmesan, for example, make a pear and fennel salad taste irresistible, just as a chunk of parmesan rind transforms a slow-simmered minestrone into a gorgeous savoury meal.

The secret of parmesan's intense flavour lies in the fact that it's made with fragrant unpasteurised milk and that the cheese is carefully matured over a long period. The cheeses are matured for between 18 and 48 months, depending on the kind of cheese and the producer. The result is a hard, honey-coloured cheese with a crumbly, almost crystalline texture."
    More about Parmesan here
    https://www.bbc.com/food/parmesan_cheese

All the best Jan
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Fri Aug 24 2018, 17:21

I don't snack much, but like the occasional treat. I like fast simple easy to do.

So mostly I make one with a mix of cream cheese, stevia, chopped walnuts or coconut flakes, vanilla or chocolate. Eat some with a spoon mostly as dessert.

I also prepare in microwave a cake with coconut flour, stevia, eggs, butter, baking powder and some almonds. It take 6 minutes in microwave.

I also like a mix of cheese, olives or sour pickle and some pork rinds.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Aug 24 2018, 23:45

Back in the day I used to sprinkle ground parmesan over my spag bol. Then I escalated to cheddar which I also baked on top of my lassagnes. More recently I add halloumi to my bolognese sauce, I forgot to do it last time so I'll try to remember tomorrow.

Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 05 2018, 20:37

Sometimes for a snack we will enjoy some cheese and olives.
    Like this French brie and Italian sun dried tomatoes, with olives, in olive oil

Low Carb Snacks - Page 2 Olives%2B%2Bfrench%2Bbrie%2Band%2Bsun%2Bdried%2Btoms

The ones in the picture are Green Spanish manzanilla olives

… But did you know that Castelvetrano Olives, may be the World’s Tastiest Olive?

See here
    https://www.nutritionadvance.com/castelvetrano-olives/

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 09:16