THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

The Message On The Tablets was Metformin. The 10 Commandments for Dillinger

Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

The Message On The Tablets was Metformin. The 10 Commandments for Dillinger Empty The Message On The Tablets was Metformin. The 10 Commandments for Dillinger

Post by Dillinger Thu Apr 16 2015, 10:22

I'm not good enough to be like the Prophets of Low Carb Fergus or Bernstein and I've broken pretty much all of these at one time or the other, but these are the commandments that apply to me in my daily wrestling match with diabetes.

These are not my commandments to you mind - each must carve their own!

Thou shalt not eat any carbohydrate at all after 10:00 pm so that your blood sugars before bed become your waking blood sugars. Yea verily even unto the high 4's and 5's.

Thou shalt not eat breakfast as your liver has decreed that the morning is the time of dumping glucose. Insulin shalt be taken.

Thou shalt do sprint exercises upon waking every day. This is the word of the Lord.

Thou shalt follow the low-carb way even in the face of detractors and beautifully made pastries.

Thou shalt record you blood sugars, carb quantities and insulin doses lest you slowly lose control.

Thou shalt not drink beer. For beer is the tool of your undoing. The Lord knoweth that this is tough but that is why he hast given you wine.

Though shalt remember that peanuts and cashew nuts are not low carb. Beware the hidden carbs elsewhere.

Thou shalt seek low carb wisdom from where ever you may find it. Hast the Lord not provided fora throughout his creation for your enlightenment?

Though shalt help others in the path of low carb for this is how you helpeth yourself.

Though shalt do thy best but remember that perfection is a fool's dream.

Hallelujah!

Best

Dillinger
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

The Message On The Tablets was Metformin. The 10 Commandments for Dillinger Empty Re: The Message On The Tablets was Metformin. The 10 Commandments for Dillinger

Post by mo1905 Thu Apr 16 2015, 10:55

Praise The Lord Dillinger !
    You are far more skilled with parchment and quill than myself but I'll have a crack at a few of my own Commandments.

1. Try to follow the advice you kindly offer others.
    2. Accept that there are those that will always find fault in whatever one does.
    3. Never assume you have diabetes cracked, it will always nip you in the buttocks.
    4. Simple, look after your feet.
    5. Yes, there is grape and wine but the Good Lord also gave us hops and barley, if you can tolerate beer, absorb freely.
    6. Stay away from imitations of foods you used to love, break the habit, love new foods.
    7. Accept you're human, enjoy an occasional treat.
    8. Exercise regularly, the benefits are immense and long lasting.
    9. Educate others when possible but don't ram it down their throat.
    10. Lastly, be content. Yes, we have a lifelong condition but there are far worse things that could happen.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

The Message On The Tablets was Metformin. The 10 Commandments for Dillinger Empty Re: The Message On The Tablets was Metformin. The 10 Commandments for Dillinger

Post by Eddie Thu Apr 16 2015, 12:34

Good stuff lads but I disagree with "6. Stay away from imitations of foods you used to love, break the habit, love new foods."

Cauliflower makes a very reasonable substitute for rice. Sliced aubergine is great for making lasagne. Mashed swede or celeriac tastes far better than mashed potatoes. Almond flour makes great cakes. I say use any tool you can get your hands on that makes life easier. Other than medication for type two's, unless you have tried all other options first. You insulin swillers can get away with murder compared to us poor type two's. affraid

Coat on and half way out the door.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Apr 16 2015, 14:27

I do love carrot & swede mash so point taken but I'm not really one for burgers wrapped in leaves or pizzas with grated cauliflower base but I know some people love them. For me, it would be like drinking low alcohol beer. I'd rather have a cup of tea :-)
    Anyone else got any of their own "Commandments" ?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Apr 16 2015, 16:18

1. Take diagnosis of diabetes seriously, there is no such thing as mild diabetes. Take responsibility for your diabetes, blaming someone else down the road will not get your eyesight or feet back.

2. For type two diabetics the correct diet is low carb and is the greatest weapon in your armoury. Use type two medication only as a last resort never the first. Type one's can reduce medications drastically and gain more predictable control by low carbing. Insulin will never be a get out of jail free card for any diabetic.

3. Testing blood glucose is fundamental in gaining safe control. Without BG testing good control is almost impossible.

4. Buy the diabetics bible, The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein.

5. Base all your meals on whole fresh food, keep well away from failed science experiments from factories.

6. Learn to cook.

7. Keep all appointments with your medics and never miss annual reviews. Never take no for an answer, push hard for test strips and extra tests if you are not 100% happy the way your treatment is going.

8. Never expect to run perfect numbers 24/7 most can never do it, however I have known people who can, but they are in the minority, so don’t beat yourself up.

9. Do your best and don’t put yourself in a position to have serious regrets in the future. If you have done your best, that’s all anyone can ever do.

10. Keep well away from Sid Bonkers et al. The world is full of naysayers and bullshit merchants. Just because others can't or won’t do something, does not mean you cannot. Be guided by your BG meter, weighing scales and hospital tests. Become your own Doctor. You don't have to have the brains of Einstein to become an expert in looking after YOUR diabetes.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Post by Dillinger Thu Apr 16 2015, 16:24

Loose Cannon wrote:
    10. Keep well away from Sid Bonkers et al.

That's a bit harsh - don't lump me in with Sid!

Al

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Apr 16 2015, 16:34

Dillinger wrote:
    Loose Cannon wrote:

Al

Jeez I thought you was going batshit until the penny dropped rofl
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Apr 16 2015, 16:51

Dillinger wrote:
    Loose Cannon wrote:

Al

I had to read no 10 3 times to understand what you were saying. Rolling Eyes lol!
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Post by Dillinger Fri Apr 17 2015, 13:05

103 times?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Apr 17 2015, 13:14

Dillinger wrote:103 times?

Hi Al, I hope you had a good breakfast before posting that comment, I wouldn't want you over taxing yourself. affraid
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Apr 17 2015, 14:43

Dillinger wrote:103 times?

Now you're just being silly. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06 2024, 17:20