THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+8
Indy51
sanguine
graham64
Andy12345
zand
Eddie
mo1905
Paul1976
12 posters

Private messaging system-Yes or no?

Poll

Do you think a PM system is a vital part of a forum community?

[ 8 ]
    Private messaging system-Yes or no? Bar_left42%Private messaging system-Yes or no? Bar_right [42%] 
    [ 11 ]
    Private messaging system-Yes or no? Bar_left58%Private messaging system-Yes or no? Bar_right [58%] 

Total Votes: 19
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Private messaging system-Yes or no? Empty Private messaging system-Yes or no?

Post by Paul1976 Mon Aug 25 2014, 16:29

Hi folks!

Due to past events and to protect our community from personal attacks or any potential 'Grooming' behind the scenes,we at the Lowcarbdiabetic forum feel that a PM system is not in the best interests of our new community at this time,however,some members have expressed a real interest in us implementing such a system and the wishes and feedback of members are paramount as the forum is all about the members first and foremost...who wants a forum where "No-one disagrees with the boss!"-we don't!Wink  so to gain some real time data and to gather up your feelings in the interim-this poll will run for a while and then depending on the outcome of it,the team will discuss and may re-evaluate this.

Best wishes

The Low Carb Diabetic team

Last edited by Paul on Wed Sep 10 2014, 15:01; edited 1 time in total
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Private messaging system-Yes or no? Empty Re: Private messaging system-Yes or no?

Post by mo1905 Mon Aug 25 2014, 17:00

Nice idea Paul. I'm even more impressed that we can make posts with voting buttons in ! I just tried to see how you done it and no idea lol !
    Well, get voting people :-)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Private messaging system-Yes or no? Empty Re: Private messaging system-Yes or no?

Post by Eddie Mon Aug 25 2014, 18:12

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that people asking for a PM system here are members of another forum who can PM each other over there. Do the people on both forums not trust the other forums PM system ? Just a thought.

Kind regards Eddie
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Aug 25 2014, 18:23

eddie1 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that people asking for a PM system here are members of another forum who can PM each other over there. Do the people on both forums not trust the other forums PM system ? Just a thought.

Kind regards Eddie

"Now you might very well think that, but of course, I couldn't possibly comment."
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Aug 25 2014, 18:23

zand wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that people asking for a PM system here are members of another forum who can PM each other over there. Do the people on both forums not trust the other forums PM system ? Just a thought.

Kind regards Eddie

"Now you might very well think that, but of course, I couldn't possibly comment."

I tried to comment but it was removed ;-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Aug 25 2014, 18:30

mo1905 wrote:
    zand wrote:

Kind regards Eddie

I tried to comment but it was removed ;-)

That'll be the 2nd board warning in as many weeks eh Mo? affraid Wink Wink
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Aug 25 2014, 18:42

Ah "The love that dare not speak its name" from the poem Two Loves by Lord Alfred Douglas aka the other forum that cannot ever be named. lol!

Regards Eddie
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Aug 25 2014, 18:50

eddie1 wrote:Ah "The love that dare not speak its name" from the poem Two Loves by Lord Alfred Douglas aka the other forum that cannot ever be named.  lol!

Regards Eddie

LOL! Reminds me of the 'Harry Potter' books and films and 'Lord Voldermort' AKA The 'Dark Lord' and 'He who shall not be named' Very Happy
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Mon Aug 25 2014, 19:49

i voted yes, not really fussed but ya never know, i might want to backstab someone
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Aug 25 2014, 21:37

I voted no mainly because of what happened to a friend of ours who's life was made a living hell by passing her details on through the PM system.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Mon Aug 25 2014, 22:38

Kind regards Eddie

Not in my case Eddie. I just find PM systems a normal feature of any forum. You don't have to use them or even enable them as an individual. I've only ever used them to converse offline with known friends or (occasionally) to exchange email addresses. I've never been subject to an offensive unsolicited PM - if I was I would immediately report it to the forum admin/moderation.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Tue Aug 26 2014, 00:51

I voted No, mostly because I don't see the need to have it here when it's available on other forums we're members of. Seems redundant and I have heard some pretty ghastly stories about what has happened to others via PM systems in the past. I can understand why the owners/mods don't want the additional hassle.
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Post by Scandichic Tue Aug 26 2014, 09:27

Kind regards Eddie
    No not at all! Just think it's helpful for a variety of reasons. Think anyone who sends abusive messages should be chucked off. I am currently having a private chat with 5 other ladies. We talk about families and all kinds of things which would not interest anyone else and we support each other on down days. Some people are on both forums but some are not. I have pmed mo in his role as a moderator when I was worried about a young man who appeared to be on the edge and when someone posted some extremely abusive message on another members profile.
    I would also like a tag system.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Tue Aug 26 2014, 13:11

I voted no simply because it creeps me out when I see people post "PM me Wink  <pervy smiley " on other forums.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:16

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I voted no simply because it creeps me out when I see people post "PM me Wink  <pervy smiley " on other forums.

Couldn't agree more! Cool

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:26

I vote yes , they are a valuable on many forums not just ones for diabetes ....
    Personal choice of using them of course....
    I don't agree with any form of abuse though ....and I think individuals that abuse should be openly named and shamed ...saves all the clues ..and the guess work ......
    I see this forum as a separate forum to others ....not one to compare and contrast ....

Thundercat
    Thundercat

Female Posts : 15

Post by Thundercat Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:34

paul1976 wrote:
    Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I voted no simply because it creeps me out when I see people post "PM me Wink  <pervy smiley " on other forums.

Total agreement. Also annoying when people post things like "I'll PM you later". Why flag it? Surely the other person will know when they get it.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:37

Thundercat wrote:
    paul1976 wrote:

Total agreement.  Also annoying when people post things like "I'll PM you later".   Why flag it? Surely the other person will know when they get it.

LOL! So very true! I never did get that logic either! Very Happy
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Tue Aug 26 2014, 15:06

Thundercat wrote:
    Total agreement.  Also annoying when people post things like "I'll PM you later".   Why flag it? Surely the other person will know when they get it.

There is actually a certain logic to that. You read the forum but don't necessarily check your PM box frequently, and you might not notice the little icon saying 'you've got a PM'. If you don't have the alerts set to send you an email when you receive a PM and you don't check your emails often then you might not realise for days.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 26 2014, 15:15

sanguine wrote:
    Thundercat wrote:

There is actually a certain logic to that.  You read the forum but don't necessarily check your PM box frequently, and you might not notice the little icon saying 'you've got a PM'.  If you don't have the alerts set to send you an email when you receive a PM and you don't check your emails often then you might not realise for days.

True! BUT on the other hand and from personal experience it can also mean "I'll PM you later because I want to have a dig at you and I don't want other members to see it on the open forum as I'll risk losing my "Mr/Mrs nice guy" reputation. bounce
    Thundercat
    Thundercat

Female Posts : 15

Post by Thundercat Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:41

paul1976 wrote:
    sanguine wrote:
    Thundercat wrote:

There is actually a certain logic to that.  You read the forum but don't necessarily check your PM box frequently, and you might not notice the little icon saying 'you've got a PM'.  If you don't have the alerts set to send you an email when you receive a PM and you don't check your emails often then you might not realise for days.

True! BUT on the other hand and from personal experience it can also mean "I'll PM you later because I want to have a dig at you and I don't want other members to see it on the open forum as I'll risk losing my "Mr/Mrs nice guy" reputation. bounce

That's the kind of message I was thinking of Paul. Also those with a certain tone of "I have chosen you" which worries me a bit. I'm thinking of a couple of threads in particular where this was quite common that still rankle.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Tue Aug 26 2014, 17:12

paul1976 wrote: from personal experience it can also mean "I'll PM you later because I want to have a dig at you and I don't want other members to see it on the open forum as I'll risk losing my "Mr/Mrs nice guy" reputation. bounce

That's very unfortunate, I guess I've been lucky. If anyone sent me a PM like that he'd get Sort shrift grrr short srift grrr a virtual bunch of fives from me.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Wed Aug 27 2014, 02:44

Amen!
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Wed Aug 27 2014, 07:49

I voted yes because it would be useful, but as long as I could exchange email addresses with someone without having to show my details publicly that's all I would require really. I also voted yes because I felt the question was slanted to make us more likely to say 'No'! It would be a lot easier for admin if we didn't have PM's so maybe that's the best way to go for the time being at least.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Wed Aug 27 2014, 14:08

I'm not too bothered either way, so I said 'no'. However, I would like a 'like' button as that can be more speedy than replying and typing just to say 'I agree with what you have said.'

Best

Dillinger

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 23:38