THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Jan1
Mrs Vimes
Paul1976
graham64
mo1905
Eddie
10 posters

Is this forum a complete and utter failure?

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Is this forum a complete and utter failure?  Empty Is this forum a complete and utter failure?

Post by Eddie Fri Mar 13 2015, 21:51

A fair question I reckon. I suppose it depends on how you measure failure. Have we attracted a lot of active and regular posting members? no. Have we attracted a lot of newbies looking for help? no. Do we get one hell of a lot of page views, yes we do, considering the size of our membership. Spreading the low carb message to diabetics and people looking to lose weight is what we do, and we ain't doing a bad job.

Starting a new forum is no easy gig, I learned a long time ago, you need the right people around you to have a chance of success. I have the very best in Mo, Paul, Graham and Jan. We will be staying around, we will be posting as long as people read this forum. Above all, we value loyalty, loyal to our friends and family, loyal to our fellow diabetics, loyal to people in trouble, loyal to the cause.

Have a nice weekend.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Is this forum a complete and utter failure?  Empty Re: Is this forum a complete and utter failure?

Post by mo1905 Fri Mar 13 2015, 22:01

We do make a difference ! We may be niche but we have no hidden agenda, we don't sell anything, we don't make money, we don't censor and we welcome everyone. Yes, we may have a laugh or have an occasional dig at DCUK but that's not our mission. There is a very serious side to this forum too ! We genuinely want to help other diabetics and we're passionate our way works.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Is this forum a complete and utter failure?  Empty Re: Is this forum a complete and utter failure?

Post by graham64 Fri Mar 13 2015, 22:12

mo1905 wrote:We do make a difference ! We may be niche but we have no hidden agenda, we don't sell anything, we don't make money, we don't censor and we welcome everyone. Yes, we may have a laugh or have an occasional dig at DCUK but that's not our mission. There is a very serious side to this forum too ! We genuinely want to help other diabetics and we're passionate our way works.

Spot on Mo I fully agree with your sentiments.

I may not be the most prolific poster but I don't intend to give up on this forum.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Mar 13 2015, 22:16

Agreed 100%!! I'm not a 'Middle of the Road' man and I make no apology for it either-'Middle of the Road' helps no-one really and I'm here because I believe LCHF is by far,the best way to control diabetes and potentially reduce medications for any type...It's a strong but important message we spread here and even if it means only ONE person per year takes heed of our message and subsequently adds years to their lives-then it's worth it to me as I'm sure it is to the rest of the team...Eddie once said elsewhere "You've gotta have staying power" and that's very true and I'm very happy to say I'm in to this forum for the long haul.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Mar 13 2015, 22:31

Some years ago on the flog, some old timers may remember, a Woman broke my heart. She thanked me for saving her life. Clearly I can save no ones life, but I like to think I helped to put some diabetic complications free years on her life. I cried like a baby (ask Jan) to this day, I get chocked up typing this.

But here is the amazing thing. We can put years of active happy years on peoples lives. People we will never know or meet. How often does and ordinary Joe get that chance? During my life I have had more luck and good fortune than I deserve. For me this lark is my redemption, my pay back time.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Sat Mar 14 2015, 13:34

This forum and the blog has given me the knowledge to lose 5 stone, help control dawn phenomenon until I got a pump then continue to have 'blood sugars more normal than normal'.

I love what you have all done Eddie, I am very grateful. I stumbled through twenty years of diabetes diet (pasta, potatoes, bread etc). How I managed to not have any complications - luck of the stupid I guess.

This forum is giving me the opportunity to die of a non-diabetes related problem! Happy thoughts I know but I think you understand what I mean and how positive that statement actually is.

Because of the lack of bloodsugar roller coaster that type 1s tend to live I can run 3 miles non-stop. My weight training is coming on- I can now deadlift and squat 50kg, I can bench press 25kg.

Not exactly Arnie but hopefully looking like Jessica Ennis mum!
    This forum may not have lots of posts but I bet a lot of lurkers. This forum does make a difference to the lurkers. It puts doubt in their minds about how appropriate the NHS advice is.
    I find lchf is becoming increasingly commen in main stream papers and around the web now.
    Don't stop Eddie, Jan, Mo, Graham. Sometimes success is not quantifiable but you never know when this forum will hit mainstream keep going you've got a grateful fan in me!
    As me ma used to say 'your reward will be in heaven'

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sat Mar 14 2015, 17:34

Thank you Mrs. Vimes your post means a great deal, I am sure the others will thank you later. The lazy blighter's are probably out seeking some retail therapy or propping up a bar somewhere.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Mar 14 2015, 22:18

That post makes what we do worthwhile Mrs Vimes. Thanks so much :-)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Mar 15 2015, 16:14

Mrs Vimes wrote:This forum and the blog has given me the knowledge to lose 5 stone, help control dawn phenomenon until I got a pump then continue to have 'blood sugars more normal than normal'.

I love what you have all done Eddie, I am very grateful. I stumbled through twenty years of diabetes diet (pasta, potatoes, bread etc). How I managed to not have any complications - luck of the stupid I guess.

This forum is giving me the opportunity to die of a non-diabetes related problem! Happy thoughts I know but I think you understand what I mean and how positive that statement actually is.

Because of the lack of bloodsugar roller coaster that type 1s tend to live I can run 3 miles non-stop. My weight training is coming on- I can now deadlift and squat 50kg, I can bench press 25kg.

Not exactly Arnie but hopefully looking like Jessica Ennis mum!
    This forum may not have lots of posts but I bet a lot of lurkers. This forum does make a difference to the lurkers. It puts doubt in their minds about how appropriate the NHS advice is.
    I find lchf is becoming increasingly commen in main stream papers and around the web now.
    Don't stop Eddie, Jan, Mo, Graham. Sometimes success is not quantifiable but you never know when this forum will hit mainstream keep going you've got a grateful fan in me!
    As me ma used to say 'your reward will be in heaven'

Thank you so much for taking the time to post Mrs Vimes. As you, and other readers, will know I'm not diabetic.

I started to live the LCHF lifestyle after Eddie was diagnosed Type 2. The difference to how I feel has been excellent and I would recommend anyone to give this lifestyle a go, but of course to take into account any other underlying health issues, allergies to certain foods etc.

The other thing to remember is ...... it is not a diet - it is a lifestyle.

Choose to eat whole real fresh foods, that do not spike blood sugars - to coin a well loved phrase 'you know it makes sense why fight it'

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:54

Not a lot of members, but you people are great human beings. Thanks for posting, and thanks for sticking with the bad boys and rejects from another place.

Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Sun Mar 15 2015, 19:10

I'll quite happily be a reject if it means I feel this good. And as for bad boys - I have one at home!

I think we need a gang tattoo or a LCHF on our denim jackets in studs.

Tesla said science progresses one funeral at a time. Not wishing for funerals but it shows how stubborn an idea can be even when there is no proof or new research is coming through.

The daily fail has an article on how many cubes of sugar there are in different foods.

I think it will be sooner rather than later that people will want to join us rejects. Even it it is the no-processed food path.

mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sun Mar 15 2015, 21:14

We're all rejects of some sort lol!
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sun Mar 15 2015, 21:25

Is this forum a failure? It depends on why it was set up. If it was set up to upset members of DCUK and bitch about them publicly so they could read it, then it's been a great success. (that's probably why we have such a high number of page views) If it was set up to argue about politics and religion and abuse those who don't agree with those who shout the loudest, then it's been a success.

If however it was set up to help newbies and encourage them to stay with us while we help them sort out their diabetes (which was why I joined) then it's been a failure. I think certain members need to stand back and look at what they've done to it. To an outsider it must seem like it's just a little clique with a big chip on its shoulder. Stand back, have a look, pretend you are new to diabetes and stressed out about it. Would you want to stay somewhere where they slagged off another forum? Anyone with any sense would realize that one day the tables will be turned and they themselves will be bitched about.

I was thoroughly behind this forum at one stage and made a great effort to keep it going. What was that for? Just to take cheap shots at Sid, CC, Phoenix and Noblehead? Don't you think it's time to forget the past, however painful and upsetting it was and move forwards? Instead of helping 1 or 2 people we could help thousands. Or don't we want that? Is laughing at others just too much fun?

Well everyone else has just given you a pat on the back Eddie, which was probably why you started this thread, I think the truth is more helpful. I was once loyal to this forum so it hurts me to say this. Unless attitudes change it's going nowhere. Well you said you didn't want a forum full of 'yes men and women'. Did you mean it?

Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Post by Mud Island Dweller Sun Mar 15 2015, 21:50

I ditto the above do not post a lot but do read and do point folks here as well and push LCHF
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 22:22

zand wrote:Is this forum a failure?  It depends on why it was set up.  If it was set up to upset members of DCUK and bitch about them publicly so they could read it, then it's been a great success.  (that's probably why we have such a high number of page views)   If it was set up to argue about politics and religion and abuse those who don't agree with those who shout the loudest, then it's been a success.

If however it was set up to help newbies and encourage them to stay with us while we help them sort out their diabetes (which was why I joined) then it's been a failure.  I think certain members need to stand back and look at what they've done to it.  To an outsider it must seem like it's just a little clique with a big chip on its shoulder.  Stand back, have a look, pretend you are new to diabetes and stressed out about it.  Would you want to stay somewhere where they slagged off another forum?  Anyone with any sense would realize that one day the tables will be turned and they themselves will be bitched about.  

I was thoroughly behind this forum at one stage and made a great effort to keep it going.  What was that for?  Just to take cheap shots at Sid, CC, Phoenix and Noblehead?  Don't you think it's time to forget the past, however painful and upsetting it was and move forwards?  Instead of helping 1 or 2 people we could help thousands.   Or don't we want that?  Is laughing at others just too much fun?

Well everyone else has just given you a pat on the back Eddie, which was probably why you started this thread, I think the truth is more helpful.  I was once loyal to this forum so it hurts me to say this.  Unless attitudes change it's going nowhere.  Well you said you didn't want a forum full of 'yes men and women'.  Did you mean it?

Thanks Zand, I appreciate people who take me on or criticise me, it keeps me on the straight and narrow.. Never let it be said we delete or reprimand a member who gives a mod or me a kicking. Something I wrote on our main blog a few years ago.

Eddie Mitchell the biggest arsehole that ever came up the pike.

“What is it you are confused about, how someone can be so full of hate and spite towards this forum?”
    Sid Bonkers

“If it's the guy I'm thinking of he has done his best to cause trouble and spread wicked lies about DCUK, its members and staff and all those who disagree with his views, a nasty little character if ever there was one!” Noblehead

Take no notice - the only reason some people were banned was because of the aggressive nature of their posts . They were banned and carried it on at another forum!

We cannot all agree but some people cannot deal with that.
    I have had enough flak form a few people - I am a Dietitian by the way and not a diabetic.
    Ally aka Christine A Cashin dietition.

Mr. Mitchell has recently helped to bring a low car forum to it's knees after he was asked to leave because of his attitude so it is obviously not about low carbing. Some of us here know the lengths he will go to to be heard and they are not all pleasant. There were some really nice people on the low carb forum and they are without a forum at the moment. Seems he is self serving amongst other things.

He was banned from here and then asked to leave the next forum he joined and so he has started a blog to malign people who stood up to him. Would you want him on your Christmas Card list?
    Catherinecherub

Well well well .......you obviously don't know Mr Mitchell very well!  He has ridiculed, slandered and bullied many members on this forum from far away, I do hope he's lasted rant doesn't effect the smooth running of this forum as he is bitterly annoyed that everyone is so helpful to one-another on here and the advice given has helped turned people's lives around.
    Noblehead

Eddie and his ego in the form of sockpuppets caused animosity and distress to individuals on this forum . He has subsequently been involved in blogs which insult and ridicule members of this forum, including one that was so inflamatory that even he had second thoughts and shut it down. He has made capital over an incident with this doctor but a) I have known 2 doctors (including the present case) come into the forum 'all guns blazing'. They both appear to have been asked to verify their credentials. (check out DrWs blog). That seems reasonable. If someone appeals to the authority of their qualifications, then we should at least know they are valid. The doctor this happened to on a precious occasion was someone who opposed low carb diets.

b) Dr Ws views are controversial and he brought them to the fore very quickly ie ketosis and pregnancy.
    Phoenix

I am a peace loving person but I cannot stand by and watch someone be vilified who only deserves praise in my eyes, (yes I still have them due to the intervention of Eddie Mitchell). I know that without his help, I, like many others would have been on a quick path to misery, certainly if I had followed the non existent advice of my 'HCPs', (although I realise that there are some very enlightened ones, just not in my neck of the woods).

Mr Mitchell is passionate about something which works, it is true that some find the concept of lowcarb difficult, even scary but in my case fantastic numbers and great food more than made up for the loss of boring pap such as bread and pasta in my diet (apologies Kathy - interesting name by the way).

Each to his or her own but don't knock something which works and someone who is not self seeking or interested in profit, but in helping people to have healthy, happy, long, lives. By the way, I have no financial interest or ties to Mr Mitchell in any way, just believe in freedom of speech and justice, after all we are a democracy.

I truly hope that this post will not be removed. You will see that I am not someone who makes frequent posts but could not stand by and listen to a character assassination of a man who has gone out of his way to help so many achieve safe bg numbers as well as excellent health.

Well said Mr Mitchell, thanks for pointing out the interview on the blog by the way Kathy.

Tyke

I do not know Tyke and have no knowledge of this poster whatsoever.

Link to the DCUK comments. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/goodness-me.21399/

Now you know why I take on a few lowcarb antis at diabetes.co.uk

Seven years on, still paying £12 quid a month for our website hosting, over 20.000 posts on blogs and forums. Seven years on, still helping diabetics and people trying to lose weight in the real world. It maybe true I'm an arsehole, but I am my kind of arsehole. I know what I am and my friends and family accept me for what I am, good and bad.

No hard feelings from me Zand, I'm jungle trained.

Thanks for your posts Zand and please keep on posting.

Kind regards Eddie

Edited more than once due to a great session at my local boozer and feeling very chilled out, maybe too chilled out, ask me if I care.

Last edited by eddie1 on Sun Mar 15 2015, 22:51; edited 3 times in total
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sun Mar 15 2015, 22:23

Mud Island Dweller wrote:I ditto the above do not post a lot but do read and do point folks here as well and push LCHF

Thanks MID! We may upset the odd person from time to time but what we sell is free and our message is purely in the interest of saving diabetics from a possibly shortened life due to diabetic complications.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 22:39

Cheers Paul, Zand kicks my balls in, MID dittos and you say thanks LOL. No worries mate, as I have said, I'm jungle trained, and in the jungle I was trained, violence was a full time job. Verbals, ask me if I care. I am looking at the big picture and long term, way after I have gone up the local crematorium chimney. I'm a man with a plan, trust me, or don't. Laughing
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sun Mar 15 2015, 22:46

eddie1 wrote:Cheers Paul, Zand kicks my balls in, MID dittos and you say thanks LOL. No worries mate, as I have said, I'm jungle trained, and in the jungle I was trained, violence was a full time job. Verbals,  ask me if I care. I am looking at the big picture and long term, way after I have gone up the local crematorium chimney. I'm a man with a plan, trust me, or don't. Laughing

I thought MID was ditto'ing the posts above Zands as she was sayin' she reads this place a lot and points people in the direction of this forum! I Obviously misread the post it would seem...
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sun Mar 15 2015, 22:51

Great! So can we push on with the plan and forget about those who despise us? Please. I am looking at the bigger picture too.

I think Paul was saying thanks to MID for pushing LCHF and leading people here. Smile Not for dittoing what I said. I too am still telling people about this site and I was upset when a friend of a friend didn't want to join because of what they saw here, so that's what motivated me to write that post.

The point is Eddie you're here. You've made it through those bad times. I just so want this forum to succeed, and if it means kicking you in the balls from time to time then that's what I'll do.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 23:02

zand wrote:Great!  So can we push on with the plan and forget about those who despise us?  Please.  I am looking at the bigger picture too.

I think Paul was saying thanks to MID for pushing LCHF and leading people here.   Smile  Not for dittoing what I said.  I too am still telling people about this site and I was upset when a friend of a friend didn't want to join because of what they saw here,  so that's what motivated me to write that post.

The point is Eddie you're here.  You've made it through those bad times.  I just so want this forum to succeed, and if it means kicking you in the balls from time to time then that's what I'll do.  

Zand you can kick my balls any time, with six kids and five grandchildren they have done their job. affraid As for people not liking what they see, look at what goes on at the other place. We are an oasis of calm and common sense to that corrupt and cynical mad house. A place you love to post on. No banning, thread locking, editing of members posts here. How many of your posts have been deleted at the flog? It seems to me when you have been mistreated at the flog, it's cool for you to post and report it here, Kapesh. Am I right, or am I right.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sun Mar 15 2015, 23:19

Yes Eddie you're right - when they have hurt me over there I have done exactly the same as you, come over here and had a moan. I try not to do it, but I have. I know it's hard not to do it. I was particularly upset and more vocal when Paul, Mo and Andy got their marching orders from there. Yes I've needed to let off steam just like you, and you have had so many more incidences than me.....well, actually I don't blame you for what you say. Yes you are justified in saying it. That's not my point though.

Someone else, a while back, said it would be good if we had a place to say these things privately to one another, but still in a group setting. I wish we could do that. We have had a couple of newbies here and I have seen them now at the other place. I would like us to stop giving DCUK free advertising and just get on with the job here now.

I would dearly love to see you getting hundreds of posts of thanks like the one in part b). I'm still on your side Eddie (and Paul, Mo, Graham and Jan). If I wasn't I would have just walked without saying a word.

I would like to see us simply spreading the LCHF word and not engaging in the nastiness anymore. There's more to you than that, let's really win this war, huh?
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Sun Mar 15 2015, 23:32

Eddie the point is though about DCUK, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you encouraged the likes of Zand and me to avoid getting banned from over there because we could still welcome newbies and guide them in the right direction and hopefully a brighter future with LCHF, despite any bias there to the contrary in their admin/mod set up. I don't see this forum being a vehicle for doing the same, at least not in the same way.

From my perspective the vast majority of newbies who arrived dazed and confused on DCUK (and at least they have got that far, pity those who don't) don't know and don't give a toss about the politics and the history of the place, they are looking for some help and many good members give the low carb message to them as best they can.

There have been threads like this on here before I'm sure, and there will be more, but you started this one - what's your current view and strategy?

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 23:41

Zand, believe it or not, there is no-one I respect and admire more than people who take me on. Jan and my best friend these days Graham pull me up every day. I detest yes men, but I cringe at what DCUK could have been. They have deleted a few of your posts, honest truth, DCUK deleted around 2500 of my posts and well over 500 hundred of Graham's posts. Almost all useful stuff to the average diabetic. The DCUK forum is a totally corrupt and a sinister place, controlled by deadbeats, non diabetics and liars.

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:00

sanguine wrote:Eddie the point is though about DCUK, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you encouraged the likes of Zand and me to avoid getting banned from over there because we could still welcome newbies and guide them in the right direction and hopefully a brighter future with LCHF, despite any bias there to the contrary in their admin/mod set up.  I don't see this forum being a vehicle for doing the same, at least not in the same way.  

From my perspective the vast majority of newbies who arrived dazed and confused on DCUK (and at least they have got that far, pity those who don't) don't know and don't give a toss about the politics and the history of the place, they are looking for some help and many good members give the low carb message to them as best they can.

There have been threads like this on here before I'm sure, and there will be more, but you started this one - what's your current view and strategy?  

You raise some good points Rod. Yes it it is good the low carb cause has some stalwarts that spread the word at the flog. But certain individuals. some of them mods, are corrupt or as thick as a plank. The flog Management want to tie in with big pharma, they have said so, as reported here and on our main blog FACT. Hence the grief for low carbers over the years, no money in low carb and a lot less medication, in some cases, no medication. As the flog bills itself as the largest diabetes forum in Europe, I reckon they are fair game for a kicking on a regular basis.

That being said, nothing would please me more than to see others posting big time on this forum, I don't need this place to vent my spleen or to spread the word. I post a lot to try and keep things going, and I don't think it is all wind up. But hey, what do I know.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Mon Mar 16 2015, 00:07

I've been puzzled for a while as to why you are all so seemingly obsessed with that place. It's all you say and more, so why keep giving links to the place and free advertising to it? If you're a newbie, you'll go where there's traffic and lots of posting, so mostly you're just recruiting new members for them as far as I can see.

I'm finding it easier to stay away from the place these days because for my limited time and interest, there are way too many posts and I'm too lazy to bother keeping up. Plus now that they've removed "new posts" again and Giverny hasn't bothered to respond to the thread about it, even less reason to go there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 01:10