THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

1915 definition

janlyn

Female Posts : 17

1915 definition Empty 1915 definition

Post by janlyn Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:06

We have been clearing an elderly aunts house. She was 91 when she died and was a nurse until she retired at 60. She was a midwife and used to travel round Hayes and Harlington in Middlesex on her bike just like in "Call the Midwife." She actually delivered my husband in 1953 and was very proud to tell everyone when she was hospitalised in the last few months of her life. We have found amongst many other really interesting things a little book entitled "The Nurse's Pronouncing Dictionary". This was the ninth edition published in 1915. What is interesting is the definition of diabetes:-

"A disease marked by an excessive flow of saccharine urine. The treatment almost entirely consists of attention to diet: sweets, pudding, pastry, potatoes and bread have to be forsworn: meat, fish, eggs, butter, cheese and green vegetables are allowed. The nurse will have to measure and test urine; the quantity may be as much as 5 or 6 quarts in 24 hours, the specific gravity may be as high as 1030 to 1045: the urine in diabetes turns Fehlings solution yellowish-red."

I don't really know what the last sentence means but was interested to see the recommended diet. What has happened?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

1915 definition Empty Re: 1915 definition

Post by mo1905 Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:11

So, 100 years ago they got it right ! Since then, my opinion is that big business, money and corruption swayed this advice to include processed, carb laden stodge !
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Feb 09 2015, 19:26

A great post Janlyn thank you.

The link below will take you to a free of charge read on line digitalized book, on the best diet for diabetics before big pharma loaded the dice, and diet and exercise kept people healthy and in control of their diabetes. I urge you to take a look. I have left the book open at pages 12 and 13, foods of great value and foods to avoid. Many will not be surprised to see, nothing has changed in almost a hundred years, in the best way to control diabetes. Diet and exercise and nil/minimal medication.

Check this link out, a fantastic read, Diabetic Cookery Recipes And Menus by Rebecca W Oppenheimer printed 1917 and well worth your time. http://archive.org/stream/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala#page/12/mode/2up
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Feb 09 2015, 20:21

janlyn wrote:We have been clearing an elderly aunts house.  She was 91 when she died and was a nurse until she retired at 60.  She was a midwife and used to travel round Hayes and Harlington in Middlesex on her bike just like in "Call the Midwife."  She actually delivered my husband in 1953 and was very proud to tell everyone when she was hospitalised in the last few months of her life. We have found amongst many other really interesting things a little book entitled "The Nurse's Pronouncing Dictionary".  This was the ninth edition published in 1915.  What is interesting is the definition of diabetes:-

"A disease marked by an excessive flow of saccharine urine.  The treatment almost entirely consists of attention to diet: sweets, pudding, pastry, potatoes and bread have to be forsworn: meat, fish, eggs, butter, cheese and green vegetables are allowed.  The nurse will have to measure and test urine; the quantity may be as much as 5 or 6 quarts in 24 hours, the specific gravity may be as high as 1030 to 1045: the urine in diabetes turns Fehlings solution yellowish-red."

I don't really know what the last sentence means but was interested to see the recommended diet.  What has happened?

What a great post Janlyn ..... where did it go wrong? BUT many of us are trying and winning,in making the good word that is "meat, fish, eggs, butter, cheese and green vegetables are allowed." come through loud and clear.

Once again many thanks for such a great and insightful post

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13 2024, 06:50