THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
zand
Jan1
6 posters

mind over matter

Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

mind over matter Empty mind over matter

Post by Andy12345 Sat Jan 31 2015, 10:21

I was up at 4am thinking about dawn thenomenon (spelling?)

I didn't wake at 4am to think about it, i woke and so stared thinking about it

i was wondering about if we woke to eat would that stop the liver kicking out some glucose and raising bg

this lead me to thinking about the connection between the mind and body, if our mind knew we was going to wake up at 4am to eat, would it allow for this and our liver do its thing earlier to compensate? and can we separate our minds from our bodies, as our bodily functions have to come from our mind in the first place, assuming our liver is controlled by our unconscious part of the brain, otherwise we could decide not to give ourselves a glucose boost and the DP wouldn't happen,

so do our bodily functions do what they do on instinct, almost as a muscle reflex (our hearts for example) or does our mind control every little thing that happens?

if you chopped someones head off but kept blood flowing through our veins i assume our hearts would stop anyway because they don't have the mind behind the action, if this is true as i expect, seeing as people can slow their own heart rates (magicians for example can do it as a trick)

theorectically, what is to stop us controlling other things like our livers producing glucose? why can't we actively decide not to do it? if its subconscious, could we be hypnotised into no DP?

strange what you think about at 4am but there ya go Smile
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

mind over matter Empty Re: mind over matter

Post by zand Sat Jan 31 2015, 10:38

I know DP can be a bit of a pain but I'm sure it happens for a good reason and we would have other problems if it didn't happen. I only need to have a cup of tea with milk to stop my BG's from rising too much in the morning.

Now what I would like my mind to do would be to stop my body being insulin resistant. That's just plain stoooopid.

PS Andy I love these 'what if' conversations.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Jan 31 2015, 10:40

I think the liver has a mind of its own. It's a rascal, but it means well.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sat Jan 31 2015, 11:20

Andy12345 wrote:I was up at 4am thinking about dawn thenomenon (spelling?)

I didn't wake at 4am to think about it, i woke and so stared thinking about it

i was wondering about if we woke to eat would that stop the liver kicking out some glucose and raising bg

this lead me to thinking about the connection between the mind and body, if our mind knew we was going to wake up at 4am to eat, would it allow for this and our liver do its thing earlier to compensate? and can we separate our minds from our bodies, as our bodily functions have to come from our mind in the first place, assuming our liver is controlled by our unconscious part of the brain, otherwise we could decide not to give ourselves a glucose boost and the DP wouldn't happen,

so do our bodily functions do what they do on instinct, almost as a muscle reflex (our hearts for example) or does our mind control every little thing that happens?

if you chopped someones head off but kept blood flowing through our veins i assume our hearts would stop anyway because they don't have the mind behind the action, if this is true as i expect, seeing as people can slow their own heart rates (magicians for example can do it as a trick)

theorectically, what is to stop us controlling other things like our livers producing glucose? why can't we actively decide not to do it? if its subconscious, could we be hypnotised into no DP?

strange what you think about at 4am but there ya go Smile

Where has the real Andy gone lol ! This is deeeeeeep !
    Good question though. I can only guess and say that even if we could trick our mind into thinking we'd eaten, I'm not sure if we could mirror the complex chemical reactions that take place after though. I do wonder though if your body gets used to your usual waking time though. Say you wake up at 07:45 every day, does your body remember this and release glucose at 07:30 ? If so, what would happen if you woke up earlier than normal, would you have low BG levels ?
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Jan 31 2015, 11:34

I am not sure that our liver pre-empts us waking up. I thought it just kicked in when we needed a kick. This is why it can dump at any time of the day - following a skipped meal or during exercise, for example.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 31 2015, 12:31

Serious Saturday thoughts here ..............

When following a LCHF lifestyle it is surprising how establishing a good sleep pattern helps, and some find this easier than others. It must be hard for shift workers - so much easier if you know that getting up time is say 7.30 each morning.

I guess for some 4am can be a good time to think.
    Don't know why but my best thinking time is when I'm doing the ironing Smile

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Jan 31 2015, 12:41

I am risking some sexist jokes about women drivers by saying this. Rolling Eyes What a Face

My best thinking time is when I'm driving because I am concentrating on the driving and then the other thoughts just flow on their own without me controlling them too much.

Yep.....leaving now.... Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 31 2015, 12:53

zand wrote:I am risking some sexist jokes about women drivers by saying this. Rolling Eyes What a Face

My best thinking time is when I'm driving because I am concentrating on the driving and then the other thoughts just flow on their own without me controlling them too much.

Yep.....leaving now.... Smile

Well, I'm not saying anything sunny

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Jan 31 2015, 13:01

Thinking things over is an extremely useful tool but I find it can become overused. I used to spend far too long actually over thinking things lol ! I've found writing things down has helped with this. Also, trust your own instinct. This has allowed me more time to do things rather than spend time thinking about things.
    I still need to think about things, just less than I used too. I think I've just confused myself and need to go away and think about this now.........
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Jan 31 2015, 15:26

lol how do choose not to think or when you do it?
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Jan 31 2015, 15:30

See? That's why I do it when I'm driving. I don't have to think about thinking because it just happens naturally when I'm thinking about driving and not thinking about whether I should be thinking about thinking or not. Simples Very Happy
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Jan 31 2015, 15:33

oh i see

silent
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Jan 31 2015, 15:34

I am beginning to think, some here cannot think. Shocked What goes on in some peoples heads is way beyond me. freakout
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Jan 31 2015, 15:40

Andy12345 wrote:lol how do choose not to think or when you do it?

I find it is easier to remember something if I stop thinking about it. I'll be going mad trying to remember an actor's name, for example. If I decide to stop thinking about, my subconscious mind will work it out for me. Hours or days later, it will just pop into my head.

"With this ring, I thee...Marty Feldman!..Yaay I remembered!" Works every time Very Happy
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Jan 31 2015, 15:42

lol

mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Jan 31 2015, 18:49

Andy12345 wrote:lol how do choose not to think or when you do it?

I don't actively choose not to think so much as choose not to overthink. Difficult to put into words I guess. Course I still mull things over but I try not to waste time analysing decisions etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 02:44