THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
mo1905
Eddie
6 posters

Diabetes UK the largest diabetes charity in the UK loves dishing out the doom and gloom.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Diabetes UK the largest diabetes charity in the UK loves dishing out the doom and gloom. Empty Diabetes UK the largest diabetes charity in the UK loves dishing out the doom and gloom.

Post by Eddie Fri Jan 30 2015, 13:56

Diabetes UK says one in five people admitted to hospital for angina, stroke, heart attack or heart failure have diabetes !

Diabetes UK the largest diabetes charity in the UK loves dishing out the doom and gloom. This I find extremely ironic, as they are responsible for much of the grim news we hear all too often regarding diabetic complications. Year after year the NHS audited stats tell us no improvements concerning HbA1c numbers are being made. Every year we hear over 90% of type one diabetics fail to get to a safe HbA1c. Every year more people join the club no one wants to join. Every year the charity pushes the carb up and shoot up diet of slow death. In a way maybe I should feel sorry for the staff at DUK, imagine working for an outfit that has failure stamped all over it. An outfit that appears to revel in doom and gloom, and is about as much use to the average diabetic, as a rubber beak on a woodpecker.

From DUK

"One in five people admitted to hospital for angina, stroke, heart attack or heart failure have diabetes, according to a new report published today.

The National Diabetes Audit report, published today by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC), reveals that there were 23,986 "excess" deaths in people with diabetes in England and Wales in 2013. This means that they died earlier than would have been expected if compared to people without the condition.

Those with Type 1 diabetes were 131 per cent more likely to die in 2013 than their peers of their age without the condition and those with Type 2 diabetes were 32 per cent more likely to die.

The analysis showed that people with diabetes were:

- 139 per cent more likely to be admitted to hospital with angina
    - 94 per cent more likely to be admitted to hospital with myocardial infarction
    - 126 per cent more likely to be admitted to hospital with heart failure
    - 63 per cent more likely to be admitted to hospital with a stroke
    - 400 per cent more likely to be admitted to hospital for a major amputation and 817 per cent more likely to be - admitted with a minor amputation
    - 272 per cent more likely to be admitted to hospital for renal replacement therapy"

Those looking for more doom and gloom can find it here. http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/National-Diabetes-Audit-2015/
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Diabetes UK the largest diabetes charity in the UK loves dishing out the doom and gloom. Empty Re: Diabetes UK the largest diabetes charity in the UK loves dishing out the doom and gloom.

Post by mo1905 Fri Jan 30 2015, 16:06

Yeah I saw that. How can anyone be 131% more likely to die ? Surely 100% risk of death is death ? The figures don't make any sense. If my chances of being admitted to hospital for amputation is 400%, that's all my limbs gone for certain lol !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Diabetes UK the largest diabetes charity in the UK loves dishing out the doom and gloom. Empty Re: Diabetes UK the largest diabetes charity in the UK loves dishing out the doom and gloom.

Post by Paul1976 Fri Jan 30 2015, 16:16

mo1905 wrote:Yeah I saw that. How can anyone be 131% more likely to die ? Surely 100% risk of death is death ? The figures don't make any sense. If my chances of being admitted to hospital for amputation is 400%, that's all my limbs gone for certain lol !

With those odds we'd just be a head in a jar like in Futurama. affraid lol
    Sally
    Sally

Post by Sally Fri Jan 30 2015, 16:23

Mo wrote, "How can anyone be 131% more likely to die ?"
    I thought that sounded a bit odd on first reading, but I think what it means is that only one in a hundred non-diabetics will die, but 2.31 diabetics will die.  Statistics are presented in that way to sound more dramatic, create the impression in the back of your mind that you are 131 times more likely to meet your maker than the next person.
    As somebody said, "lies, damned lies and statistics".
    Sally
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Jan 30 2015, 16:56

Sally wrote:Mo wrote, "How can anyone be 131% more likely to die ?"
    I thought that sounded a bit odd on first reading, but I think what it means is that only one in a hundred non-diabetics will die, but 2.31 diabetics will die.  Statistics are presented in that way to sound more dramatic, create the impression in the back of your mind that you are 131 times more likely to meet your maker than the next person.
    Sally

Agree. You can play around with numbers to bamboozle people. I was once on a drug called Plavix. For people having heart stent work they often go on Plavix. The chances of dying in the first year on an Aspirin was two people in a hundred. On Plavix which in those days cost the NHS around £100 per month, around one chance in a hundred. The makers stated Plavix reduced the chance of death by 100%. This sounds great to you check out all the numbers. BTW the side effects made me dump the drug.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Jan 30 2015, 16:58

Sally

Could well be sally but they are wrong to use percentages. We all know 100% is a certainty. Anything above that is pointless. Even 131 times more likely to die seems pretty far fetched in my opinion.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:10

eddie1 wrote:
    Sally

Agree. You can play around with numbers to bamboozle people. I was once on a drug called Plavix. For people having heart stent work they often go on Plavix. The chances of dying in the first year on an Aspirin was two people in a hundred. On Plavix which in those days cost the NHS around £100 per month, around one chance in a hundred. The makers stated Plavix reduced the chance of death by 100%. This sounds great to you check out all the numbers. BTW the side effects made me dump the drug.

As well as its needed effects, clopidogrel (the active ingredient contained in Plavix) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.

If any of the following side effects occur while taking clopidogrel, check with your doctor immediately:

More common
    Chest pain
    collection of blood under the skin
    deep, dark purple bruise
    itching, pain, redness, or swelling
    pain in general
    red or purple spots on the skin, varying in size from pinpoint to large bruises
    Less common
    Nosebleed
    painful or difficult urination
    shortness of breath
    vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
    Rare
    Black, tarry stools
    blistering, flaking, or peeling of the skin
    blood in the urine or stools
    confusion
    fever, chills, or sore throat
    headache (sudden, severe)
    nausea or vomiting
    stomach pain (severe)
    ulcers, sores, or white spots in the mouth
    unusual bleeding or bruising
    weakness (sudden)
    Incidence not known
    Abdominal or stomach cramps or swelling
    back pain or backaches
    blurred vision
    change in mental status
    cough or hoarseness
    dark urine
    difficulty with breathing or swallowing
    difficulty with speaking
    dizziness
    dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
    fast heartbeat
    feeling of discomfort
    general feeling of tiredness or weakness
    hives
    inflammation of the joints
    itching
    light-colored stools
    lower back or side pain
    muscle aches
    pale color of the skin
    puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
    rash
    reddening of the skin, especially around the ears
    seizures
    sweating
    swelling of the eyes, face, or inside of the nose
    swollen lymph glands
    swollen or painful glands
    tightness in the chest
    unusual tiredness or weakness
    upper right abdominal or stomach pain
    watery or bloody diarrhea
    wheezing
    yellow eyes or skin
    Some clopidogrel side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:

Incidence not known
    Bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
    bloating
    change in taste
    constipation
    diarrhea
    difficulty with moving
    headache
    hives or welts
    indigestion
    loss of appetite
    muscle pain or stiffness
    noisy breathing
    pain in the joints
    pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
    redness, soreness, or itching skin
    seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
    skin blisters
    sores, welting, or blisters
    swelling or inflammation of the mouth

Apart from the above, no worries. wtf
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:15

eddie1 wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:
    Sally

As well as its needed effects, clopidogrel (the active ingredient contained in Plavix) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.

If any of the following side effects occur while taking clopidogrel, check with your doctor immediately:

More common
    Chest pain
    collection of blood under the skin
    deep, dark purple bruise
    itching, pain, redness, or swelling
    pain in general
    red or purple spots on the skin, varying in size from pinpoint to large bruises
    Less common
    Nosebleed
    painful or difficult urination
    shortness of breath
    vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
    Rare
    Black, tarry stools
    blistering, flaking, or peeling of the skin
    blood in the urine or stools
    confusion
    fever, chills, or sore throat
    headache (sudden, severe)
    nausea or vomiting
    stomach pain (severe)
    ulcers, sores, or white spots in the mouth
    unusual bleeding or bruising
    weakness (sudden)
    Incidence not known
    Abdominal or stomach cramps or swelling
    back pain or backaches
    blurred vision
    change in mental status
    cough or hoarseness
    dark urine
    difficulty with breathing or swallowing
    difficulty with speaking
    dizziness
    dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
    fast heartbeat
    feeling of discomfort
    general feeling of tiredness or weakness
    hives
    inflammation of the joints
    itching
    light-colored stools
    lower back or side pain
    muscle aches
    pale color of the skin
    puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
    rash
    reddening of the skin, especially around the ears
    seizures
    sweating
    swelling of the eyes, face, or inside of the nose
    swollen lymph glands
    swollen or painful glands
    tightness in the chest
    unusual tiredness or weakness
    upper right abdominal or stomach pain
    watery or bloody diarrhea
    wheezing
    yellow eyes or skin
    Some clopidogrel side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:

Incidence not known
    Bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
    bloating
    change in taste
    constipation
    diarrhea
    difficulty with moving
    headache
    hives or welts
    indigestion
    loss of appetite
    muscle pain or stiffness
    noisy breathing
    pain in the joints
    pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
    redness, soreness, or itching skin
    seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
    skin blisters
    sores, welting, or blisters
    swelling or inflammation of the mouth

Apart from the above, no worries. wtf

Jeez! A coronary sounds more tempting than those!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:17

I've got a worse medication. It says NO ALCOHOL !!!!!!!!!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:18

mo1905 wrote:I've got a worse medication. It says NO ALCOHOL !!!!!!!!!

affraid affraid That's the WORST kind!!! freakout freakout freakout
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:22

Then again-if it's lethal potential side effects you're after then check out the recommendations made by Osidge to a type 2 already on a myriad of T2 oral drugs and was reporting BG's of 29mmol ! freakout

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/advice-needed-please.51164/

Post #9

Last edited by Paul on Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:22; edited 1 time in total
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:22

And I've got 15 of those side effects just by inadvertently (honest) inhaling the adhesive on my new utility room flooring. I think I'll say 'No' to the drug because it's got all those possible side effects and it's not even going to fix a floor for me is it? Rolling Eyes
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:26

Paul wrote:Then again-if it's lethal potential side effects you're after then check out the recommendations made by Osidge to a type 2 already on a myriad of T2 oral drugs and was reporting BG's of 29mmol ! freakout

Post #9

Wow ! So much for not giving any specific medical advice lol ! Good ol' Chopper :-)
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:29

zand wrote:And I've got 15 of those side effects just by inadvertently (honest) inhaling the adhesive on my new utility room flooring.   I think I'll say 'No' to the drug because it's got all those possible side effects and it's not even going to fix a floor for me is it? Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry you feel so ill but it made me think of something I saw on the news a while back:
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:38

mo1905 wrote:
    zand wrote:And I've got 15 of those side effects just by inadvertently (honest) inhaling the adhesive on my new utility room flooring.   I think I'll say 'No' to the drug because it's got all those possible side effects and it's not even going to fix a floor for me is it? Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry you feel so ill but it made me think of something I saw on the news a while back:

lol that's amazing. Thanks for cheering me up
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Jan 30 2015, 22:51

Paul wrote:Then again-if it's lethal potential side effects you're after then check out the recommendations made by Osidge to a type 2 already on a myriad of T2 oral drugs and was reporting BG's of 29mmol ! freakout

Post #9

Wonder if Osidge was referring to this combination of drugs:

Dapagliflozin Improves Glycemic Control and Reduces Body Weight as Add-on Therapy to Metformin Plus Sulfonylurea: A 24-Week Randomized, Double-Blind Clinical Trial

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/

Disclosure: The study was sponsored by Bristol-Myers Squibb and AstraZeneca. Matthaei reports various financial ties with Abbott, AstraZeneca, Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Boehringer Ingelheim, Janssen, Lilly, Merck, Novartis, Novo Nordisk, Roche and Sanofi.

Could Osidge also have connections to Big Pharma Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 18:13