THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

FAT - The Birds Love It Too !

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

FAT - The Birds Love It Too ! Empty FAT - The Birds Love It Too !

Post by Jan1 Sun Jan 25 2015, 14:30

It's currently the RSPB big garden bird watch weekend and many from all over the country are taking part.

I love watching the birds (and occasional squirrel) in the garden.

The grandchildren get huge delight from feeding the birds and watching 'their feathered friends' as they call them. Nuts are put out as well as bacon rind and like us FAT should be a large part of their diet....... lard is great for birds.

Winter time is tough for birds, food is scarce and water may be frozen. You don't have to buy special bird food .... starlings like peanuts and the thrushes and blackbirds like over ripe apples and raisins. If you do want to buy something buy a 'fat ball' available in garden centres and some supermarkets. They are high in energy, great for the birds or how about making your own bird food:

"Bird cake and food bars

Fat balls and other fat-based food bars are excellent winter food. If they are sold in nylon mesh bags, always remove the bag before putting the fat ball out – the soft mesh can trap and injure birds. You can make your own bird cake by pouring melted fat (suet or lard) onto a mixture of ingredients such as seeds, nuts, dried fruit, oatmeal, cheese and cake. Use about one-third fat to two-thirds mixture. Stir well in a bowl and allow it to set in a container of your choice. An empty coconut shell, plastic cup or tit bell makes an ideal bird cake ‘feeder’. Alternatively, you can turn it out onto your birdtable when solid."

For more helpful tips and advice http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whatfood/

Enjoy nature, have a walk and listen to the great sound of bird song sunny

All the best Jan
    Sharon

FAT - The Birds Love It Too ! Empty Re: FAT - The Birds Love It Too !

Post by Sharon Sun Jan 25 2015, 19:17

always like to feed the birds . ducks too when walking by river .
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Jan 25 2015, 22:29

I'm a bit fed up with birds to be honest. I've had 2 bird houses in my garden for over 2 years now. One was home made, the other purchased at considerable expense ! I've been regularly feeding the little blighters too. So, do you think one single bird might have a little peep in one of my houses ? No, selfish buggers ! So, as far as I'm concerned, they can bugger off and fend for themselves :-)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 26 2015, 16:06

More often or not I too found that birds ignored 'the houses' but loved being in the garden, and they are quite territorial. The containers that contained nuts and of course the fat balls are always favourite.

A family member has once or twice had birds nest in their bird boxes and they were very high up the wall.

But where would we be without our feathered friends? I just love the sound of bird song  sunny

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 00:51