THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance Empty Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance

Post by graham64 Fri Dec 19 2014, 21:06

Abstract
    Importance  Foods that have similar carbohydrate content can differ in the amount they raise blood glucose. The effects of this property, called the glycemic index, on risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes are not well understood.

Objective
    To determine the effect of glycemic index and amount of total dietary carbohydrate on risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

Design, Setting, and Participants
     Randomized crossover-controlled feeding trial conducted in research units in academic medical centers, in which 163 overweight adults (systolic blood pressure, 120-159 mm Hg) were given 4 complete diets that contained all of their meals, snacks, and calorie-containing beverages, each for 5 weeks, and completed at least 2 study diets. The first participant was enrolled April 1, 2008; the last participant finished December 22, 2010. For any pair of the 4 diets, there were 135 to 150 participants contributing at least 1 primary outcome measure.

Interventions 
    (1) A high–glycemic index (65% on the glucose scale), high-carbohydrate diet (58% energy); (2) a low–glycemic index (40%), high-carbohydrate diet; (3) a high–glycemic index, low-carbohydrate diet (40% energy); and (4) a low–glycemic index, low-carbohydrate diet. Each diet was based on a healthful DASH-type diet.

Main Outcomes and Measures  
    The 5 primary outcomes were insulin sensitivity, determined from the areas under the curves of glucose and insulin levels during an oral glucose tolerance test; levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, and triglycerides; and systolic blood pressure.

Results
    At high dietary carbohydrate content, the low– compared with high–glycemic index level decreased insulin sensitivity from 8.9 to 7.1 units (−20%, P = .002); increased LDL cholesterol from 139 to 147 mg/dL (6%, P ≤ .001); and did not affect levels of HDL cholesterol, triglycerides, or blood pressure. At low carbohydrate content, the low– compared with high–glycemic index level did not affect the outcomes except for decreasing triglycerides from 91 to 86 mg/dL (−5%, P = .02). In the primary diet contrast, the low–glycemic index, low-carbohydrate diet, compared with the high–glycemic index, high-carbohydrate diet, did not affect insulin sensitivity, systolic blood pressure, LDL cholesterol, or HDL cholesterol but did lower triglycerides from 111 to 86 mg/dL (−23%, P ≤ .001).

Conclusions and Relevance
     In this 5-week controlled feeding study, diets with low glycemic index of dietary carbohydrate, compared with high glycemic index of dietary carbohydrate, did not result in improvements in insulin sensitivity, lipid levels, or systolic blood pressure. In the context of an overall DASH-type diet, using glycemic index to select specific foods may not improve cardiovascular risk factors or insulin resistance.

Full study:http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2040224

Note the LC diet was 40% energy from carbs, as the diets consisted of 2000 cals that would equate to 200g carbs Rolling Eyes This should clear up some confusion on the big forum Wink
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance Empty Re: Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance

Post by zand Fri Dec 19 2014, 22:16

Yes Graham, that helps me a lot. Thank you I was reading and re-reading the thread at the other place and really didn't understand some of what was being said! I thought it was because I'm not feeling well, but it did concern me that some of the comments didn't make any sense. Your post makes more sense when viewed alongside my own experience with a brief encounter with the GI diet.

Phew! I really thought I was losing it then! Rolling Eyes What a Face affraid
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance Empty Re: Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance

Post by mo1905 Fri Dec 19 2014, 23:47

I've never really understood all the hype with low GI. Certainly there are healthier carbs than others but ultimately, 60g of carbs is 60g of carbs. OK, the spike may not be so dramatic but the downside to this is you would have elevated levels for a longer period. The only difference for myself as a T1 would be that I would need to take my insulin probably 15mins after eating rather than 10mins before, the dose would be the same though. As for T2's and low GI, is there any advantage ?
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Dec 20 2014, 07:30

No, not as far as I'm concerned Mo. Low GI or even low GL didn't help me at all. But there are others who swear by it, so maybe it works for some? Or maybe they are still cutting their carbs anyway and that is what is really helping? I must say though that Graham's post made perfect sense to me, so that's the rationale I'm sticking with. (Sorry we're agreeing again Smile )
    j

Male Posts : 111

Post by j Sat Dec 20 2014, 15:31

graham64 wrote:
    Note the LC diet was 40% energy from carbs, as the diets consisted of 2000 cals that would equate to 200g carbs Rolling Eyes This should clear up some confusion on the big forum Wink
    Thanks for finding this, I don't know of a T2 who has 40% carb, but it seems they are kidding themselves  Suspect seeing that an intake of 40% carb "At low carbohydrate content, the low– compared with high–glycemic index level did not affect the outcomes except for decreasing triglycerides from 91 to 86 mg/dL "
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Dec 20 2014, 16:07

j wrote:
    graham64 wrote:
    Thanks for finding this, I don't know of a T2 who has 40% carb, but it seems they are kidding themselves  Suspect seeing that an intake of 40% carb "At low carbohydrate content, the low– compared with high–glycemic index level did not affect the outcomes except for decreasing triglycerides from 91 to 86 mg/dL "

lol - that's cheating j, I don't suppose that person is likely to answer back on this thread. (Although it is a possibility Wink affraid )
    j

Post by j Sat Dec 20 2014, 17:10

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Fructose very low GI 15 [only it's the worst thing to eat]

Bavarian Chocolate honeycomb, light (Sara Lee) 75g/18.1g carb   GI 31 / GL 6
    Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance Light_Chocolate_Honeycomb_Bavarian_lg

Last edited by j on Sat Dec 20 2014, 17:51; edited 2 times in total
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Dec 20 2014, 17:47

I believe you j, it's not me you need to convince. Wink
    j

Post by j Sat Dec 20 2014, 17:53

zand wrote:I believe you j, it's not me you need to convince. Wink
    I thought we could go halves in the chocce cake, that would make it even gooder farao
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Dec 20 2014, 17:56

j wrote:
    zand wrote:I believe you j, it's not me you need to convince. Wink
    I thought we could go halves in the chocce cake, that would make it even gooder farao

Very Happy Do you know something j? You're a really nice guy!
    j

Post by j Sat Dec 20 2014, 20:40

I'll share my low GI sugar with you now affraid
    http://www.csrsugar.com.au/Better-For-You-Products/CSR-LoGiCane-LowGI-Sugar.aspx
    Low-glycemic index carbohydrate diet does not improve cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance 28
    Nutritional information:
    Energy 68 kJ (16 Cal) 1690 kJ (404 Cal)
    Avg quantity per serving Avg quantity per 100g
    Carbohydrate, total 4g 99.4g
    Sugars 4g 99.4g
    Sodium <0.1mg <2.5mg
    Ingredients: Cane Sugar

How is a Low GI sugar Better for You?
    Regular table sugar or sucrose has a glycemic index or GI of 65 (moderate GI), CSR LogiCane™️ has had its GI officially tested and has a GI ranking of 50, making it a low GI sugar.

Is it suitable for everyone or just those with diabetes?
    For those with diabetes who need to regulate their blood glucose to manage their condition, LoGiCane is particularly beneficial providing slow and sustained release of energy. However, there is growing evidence to show that everybody can potentially benefit their health from eating more low GI foods as part of a healthy low GI diet and active lifestyle.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Dec 20 2014, 21:34

@j ? Isn't 'low GI sugar' ummmm how can I say this? Isn't it still sugar? Or am I being silly now
    j

Post by j Sat Dec 20 2014, 21:52

you disbeliever..are you trying to suggest that Low GI is a crock and a waste of time confused
    it's only 99.4% sugar, lol! it's diabetic low GI sugar...yum freakout
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Dec 20 2014, 23:32

j wrote:you disbeliever..are you trying to suggest that Low GI is a crock and a waste of time confused
    it's only 99.4% sugar,  lol! it's diabetic low GI sugar...yum freakout

Wonder if you could use it on cornflakes Question  Neutral
    j

Post by j Sun Dec 21 2014, 07:14

sorry, because all calories are the same, you have to stick to a bowl of Low GI sugar, the cornflakes are GI 82
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Dec 21 2014, 21:56

j wrote:sorry, because all calories are the same, you have to stick to a bowl of Low GI sugar, the cornflakes are GI 82

Depends what GI index you look at j, this one has cornflakes at 93 Shocked the GI index is a minefield with so many variables that it would confuse rather than help diabetics trying to control blood sugar.

David Mendosa a T2 diabetic for nearly 20years is regarded as an expert on the GI diet, but even he has changed to LC and got of the meds and is now diet and exercise only.

http://www.mendosa.com/lowcarb.htm
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Dec 23 2014, 15:45

I see Sid's barmy army have been pushing the low GI fiasco hard over at the flog. Check this video out and you will see the low GI diet plan is a complete and utter crock

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 00:04