THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs Empty Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs

Post by Eddie Wed Dec 10 2014, 13:40

Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs, according to the comprehensive Health Survey for England.

Cholesterol-lowering statins, pain relief and anti-depressants were among the most prescribed medicines.

The report, by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC), showed an average of 18.7 prescriptions per person in England in 2013.

The cost to the NHS was in excess of £15bn-a-year.

More than a fifth of men and nearly a quarter of women were taking at least three prescriptions.

All the figures exclude contraceptives and smoking cessation products.

Nearly a third of prescriptions were for cardiovascular disease with more than 65 million prescriptions for tackling high blood pressure, heart failure or cholesterol levels.

Simvastatin - which lowers cholesterol - was the single most prescribed item with 40 million prescriptions.

Continue reading the main story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30411246
    Two Collies
    Two Collies

Male Posts : 133

Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs Empty Re: Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs

Post by Two Collies Wed Dec 10 2014, 13:54

eddie1 wrote:Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs, according to the comprehensive Health Survey for England.

Cholesterol-lowering statins, pain relief and anti-depressants were among the most prescribed medicines.

The report, by the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC), showed an average of 18.7 prescriptions per person in England in 2013.

The cost to the NHS was in excess of £15bn-a-year.

More than a fifth of men and nearly a quarter of women were taking at least three prescriptions.

All the figures exclude contraceptives and smoking cessation products.

Nearly a third of prescriptions were for cardiovascular disease with more than 65 million prescriptions for tackling high blood pressure, heart failure or cholesterol levels.

Simvastatin - which lowers cholesterol - was the single most prescribed item with 40 million prescriptions.

Continue reading the main story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30411246
    surprise,surprise re statins, when they are automatically doled out to diabetics affraid
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs Empty Re: Half of women and 43% of men in England are now regularly taking prescription drugs

Post by sanguine Wed Dec 10 2014, 14:04

Clearly much of that is genuinely needed but it does beg the question how much of that is for, er, spurious or controversial reasons (statins being the obvious culprit).

Think what you could achieve with decent health and dietary education with a fraction of that £15bn. Mustn't upset pharma shareholders though ...
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Wed Dec 10 2014, 15:09

I have a bit of a theory on this, as well as the big pharma one. Years ago when I was younger, if I was ill, I'd call the doc. I'd generally see them the same day. I would talk, they would listen, do some tests if needed, etc etc. There was no rush, they had time to question and investigate. I believe that the "10min rule" followed by most docs nowadays isn't sufficient to fully investigate a patients problems/options. I think the quickest way to get you out the door is throw a prescription at you. "Next patient please" !!
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Wed Dec 10 2014, 16:01

The problem is that pharmaceuticals have convinced the people that there is a pill that will "fix" every ailment they have. So doctors are judged by how well they prescribe. Today medicine is just more about guidelines and pharma reps than patients well being. With all the side effects of the meds prescribed they will for sure need more meds to "battle" the new symptoms that will assure the revenue stream. Clever business model :-)
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Wed Dec 10 2014, 16:59

How does the medical profession reconcile this with one of the phrases in the modern (Louis Lasagna's) version of the Hippocratic oath: I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism. (What is 'therapeutic nihilism'?).
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Dec 10 2014, 17:14

Glaxo chief: Our drugs do not work on most patients.

A senior executive with Britain's biggest drugs company has admitted that most prescription medicines do not work on most people who take them.

Allen Roses, worldwide vice-president of genetics at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), said fewer than half of the patients prescribed some of the most expensive drugs actually derived any benefit from them.

It is an open secret within the drugs industry that most of its products are ineffective in most patients but this is the first time that such a senior drugs boss has gone public. His comments come days after it emerged that the NHS drugs bill has soared by nearly 50 per cent in three years, rising by £2.3bn a year to an annual cost to the taxpayer of £7.2bn. GSK announced last week that it had 20 or more new drugs under development that could each earn the company up to $1bn (£600m) a year.

Full story here http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/glaxo-chief-our-drugs-do-not-work-on-most-patients-575942.html

That was eleven years ago, nothing has changed other than the numbers have got much bigger.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Wed Dec 10 2014, 17:14

mo1905 wrote:I have a bit of a theory on this, as well as the big pharma one. Years ago when I was younger, if I was ill, I'd call the doc. I'd generally see them the same day. I would talk, they would listen, do some tests if needed, etc etc. There was no rush, they had time to question and investigate. I believe that the "10min rule" followed by most docs nowadays isn't sufficient to fully investigate a patients problems/options. I think the quickest way to get you out the door is throw a prescription at you. "Next patient please" !!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 23:11