THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
mo1905
Jan1
AliB
7 posters

Yet another reason why raw dairy will always be superior to pasteurised

AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Yet another reason why raw dairy will always be superior to pasteurised Empty Yet another reason why raw dairy will always be superior to pasteurised

Post by AliB Thu Dec 04 2014, 15:10

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/bacterial-orns-a-new-paradigm-to-prevent-infections/

By killing the microbes in milk, are they killing our immune systems???

Pasteurisation is yet another 'meddling' gone wrong.

It's not protection of the people (many people get sick and die from pasteurised dairy-borne infections every year), it's only done for protection of the Dairy Industry. Raw dairy from clean providers never has been harmful.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Yet another reason why raw dairy will always be superior to pasteurised Empty Re: Yet another reason why raw dairy will always be superior to pasteurised

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 16:49

Thanks for posting this Ali - I've actually copied what William Marshall said in his report.

"Overuse of antibiotics is causing concern at the highest levels of the government. Eighty percent of antibiotics are used in industrial agriculture for cows, pigs and poultry. With the emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, the calls for something to replace antibiotics in livestock (not to mention humans) have become more urgent.

I have discovered that the harmless food bacteria, Lactobacillus caseii, a bacterium typically found in milk, releases immune-modulating molecules when entering the mouth, which protect animals and humans from viral infections. The paradigm-setting discovery was made years ago, but is only now finding acceptance. It may lead us to something more effective and more natural than modern antibiotics.

As associate professor of microbiology and immunology at the New York Medical College (NYMC) in the 1990s, I found that all fifteen tested bacteria, whether harmless or harmful, immediately released pieces of ribonucleic acid (RNA) when exposed to human saliva. At first I thought the bacteria were being killed by salivary enzymes and the small pieces of RNA were simply debris from dying cells. However, after exposure and transfer into growth media, the bacteria grew more vigorously.

What was going on here? Why would bacteria, especially the harmful ones, give the host a heads-up as to their appearance? Although brainless, they have lots of smarts gained through eons of co-evolutionary life with us. Logically, releasing these small pieces of RNA must be improving their advantage. And that’s exactly how it turned out: by releasing them, the bacteria were able to ramp up their offenses for a fight. But even the harmless ones were arming themselves for a fight. The small pieces of RNA, called oligoribonucleotides or ORNs, looked to be identical from all of the fifteen studied bacteria. Were they toxic? I purified them and with two colleagues, Michael Hoffmann and Zhi Qin Wang, fed and injected them into young mice. We didn’t see any ill effects; their lifestyles weren’t altered. Feeding or injecting the ORNs simply had no observable effects.

Although I studied all fifteen, I focused on L. caseii, a harmless strain commonly occurring in milk. Known simply as a harmless strain, I thought it might actually be beneficial. Maybe during countless eons of co-evolution, our immune system adapted a combat-ready response to the appearance of harmless bacteria as well as the harmful ones. Perhaps the sentry cells of the immune system weren’t distinguishing friend from foe at this point. But how good was its combat-ready response? It was a testable question.

Commercial LPS (lipopolysaccharide) is a component of bacterial outer membranes that is often used to test the strength of an immune system. Feeding high doses of LPS to mice induces lethal septic shock. I decided to feed the ORNs released by L. caseii to mice and then inject them with a lethal dose of LPS. Surprisingly, all the mice receiving the ORNs thirty hours before the LPS injection survived and returned to full health. Those not fed the ORNs beforehand died in two days. The lethality of septic shock is believed to result from an immune system gone berserk, running out of control, punching holes in internal tissues looking for the intruder. Somehow feeding the ORNs from L. caseii beforehand had restored a stable immune condition, preventing it from becoming violently self-destructive when injected with LPS.

To learn more, Carl Hamby, a faculty colleague and I developed a molecular and cellular test using immune cells from human blood. First, Carl exposed the cells from donors’ blood to ORNs from L. caseii and saw them release a small amount of a cytokine known to produce inflammation. Inflammation is key to fighting infection, but too much can lead to disease, septic shock and death. The ORNs temporarily induced a low degree of inflammation, a good sign, suggesting that it was primed for a fight.

However, exposing immune cells to LPS induced a massive amount of the inflammatory cytokine to be released. If the immune cells were first exposed to the ORNs, as we had done in the mouse experiment, much lower amounts of the inflammation-inducing cytokine were released. The ORNs administered thirty hours before LPS prevented the runaway inflammatory response, just what we had seen in mice.

Finding protection against septic shock death was amazing. But what else could feeding L. caseii ORNs do to help the host prompted me to look at various animals and the immune system’s response to ORNs.

Arun Adhar had developed a test to determine whether feeding L. caseii ORNs could protect shrimp from a lethal virus that was wiping out ponds of commercial shrimp around the world. Yes, he found it reduced mortality by 80 percent. Other tests showed that feeding the ORNs gave significant protection against shipping fever in cattle, bacterial infections in fish and recently, PEDv infections in piglets.

What are these ORNs and why have the immune systems of so many different animals developed a broad conserved protective response to their appearance?

Recent research indicates that these particular ORNs control the growth of fungi and bacteria by controlling the expression of growth genes in their genomes. After ORN release, the bacteria immediately enter accelerated growth without first spending hours in a mysterious “lag,” discovered back in the 1890s and still not understood even today. During the lag, which can last all day, bacteria appear to be doing nothing. Its function is unknown, but at least now we know what controls it—the ORNs.

Over eons of the co-evolutionary cold war waged between beast, man and the microbe, the immune system has learned: 1) not to waste precious time determining whether the invader is friend or foe or even whether it is fungi, bacteria or toxins; 2) to initiate a response that meets all comers; and 3) to spread the response mechanism across all types of animals, not just humans.

In the twenty-first century we now face a new set of attackers: the zoonotic viruses that jump from wild animals to mankind. We need an immediate treatment; we can’t wait out the several years it takes to develop a vaccine. What I do know is that ORNs are naturally-derived over centuries of co-evolution and are safe and effective but I don’t understand the steps in stopping an infection. The details are extremely important in understanding how the immune system works.
    1. caseii is a dietary ingredient found abundantly in non-pasteurized milk and fermented dairy products. Other species of ORN-releasing lactobacilli occur broadly in fruits and vegetables and have been consumed by man and beast forever. But today’s diets contain pasteurized milk and too many sterile meals and snacks of processed foods. By the way, commercial yogurts have far too few and probiotics yield practically none since they are grown and processed in a way that washes the ORNs down the drain. So, the dietary contribution of released ORNs for most people is low.

In animal husbandry, processed feeds are not adequate sources of ORNs, and we know that most farm animals are highly stressed. Using L. caseii, I developed a product that can be fed to animals to “restore an immune system compromised by stress.”

But LactORNs©️ is only a start in applying this new paradigm to protect animals against infections. Over the last few years, I assiduously apprised the agency of our results and their significance.

Searching for new antibiotics is not the solution. During the eons of microbial cold wars, nature has taught bacteria and fungi how to construct a molecule that would control the limits of encroaching microbes. Each synthesizes an antibiotic to stop a neighbor from gaining the upper hand. Antibiotics restrict growth to a certain level that allows mixtures of microbes to live peacefully with each other. But the antibiotic paradigm is not one for us; we have too many niches where their dormant forms can hide out.

Microbes have theirs and we need ours. The dietary ORNs released by harmless bacteria appear to stimulate our defenses against all kinds of harmful microbes. So far, our research has demonstrated that feeding LactORNs©️, naturally released by naturally-grown L. caseii prevents new viruses from killing shrimp and piglets. Our human immune studies indicate that they will do the same for humans.

Our success to this point isn’t enough. Professor Fred Kummerow, my mentor who discovered the harm that dietary trans fats can do, is now one hundred years old and still working to gain full acceptance of a discovery he made sixty years ago. The FDA needs to start work to understand the ORN paradigm and put their shoulders behind it. "

This article appeared in Wise Traditions in Food, Farming and the Healing Arts, the quarterly journal of the Weston A. Price Foundation, Fall 2014

Jan sunny

Jan1
    Jan1

Yet another reason why raw dairy will always be superior to pasteurised Empty Re: Yet another reason why raw dairy will always be superior to pasteurised

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 16:51

Now I've never tasted raw milk but I can remember when growing up some of my family lived in rural Hertfordshire, and quite often when visiting on nearby farms there were great churns of milk which I think local people used to buy. Perhaps this was raw milk?

In present day I think you can still get it .....according to Wikipedia "Distribution of raw milk is illegal in Scotland. While it is legal in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, the only registered producers are in England. About 200 producers sell raw, or "green top" milk direct to consumers, either at the farm, at a farmers' market, or through a delivery service. The bottle must display the warning "this product has not been heat-treated and may contain organisms harmful to health", and the dairy must conform to higher hygiene standards than dairies producing only pasteurised milk.

As it is only legal to supply unpasteurised milk direct to consumers, it is illegal to be sold on the High Street, via shops or supermarkets. "

Ali - Are you fortunate to be able to use raw milk?

Many thanks for an interesting article

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Dec 04 2014, 19:38

I'm sure fresh milk must be better but I had a bad experience with it in Spain many years ago. I was in a restaurant and asked for a glass of milk and I swear there must have been a goat in the kitchen. The glass of milk came up warm and frothy ! It was grim !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Dec 04 2014, 19:41

mo1905 wrote:I'm sure fresh milk must be better but I had a bad experience with it in Spain many years ago. I was in a restaurant and asked for a glass of milk and I swear there must have been a goat in the kitchen. The glass of milk came up warm and frothy ! It was grim !

Perhaps they didn't milk a Cow...Maybe a Bull instead by the sounds of that! freakout lol!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Dec 04 2014, 19:41

I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Heeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Dec 04 2014, 19:45

mo1905 wrote:I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Heeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! I'd have a go at most things in the bush tucker trials but I wouldn't do that!! Twisted Evil
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 04 2014, 21:16

I can remember my mum getting milk direct from a local dairy in a jug, don't know if it was pasturised or not but it was very creamy and was nice to drink. Years later we had green top delivered the problem then was the bluetits they used to peck through the top to get at the cream Laughing

As much as I'd love to have raw milk due to the small amount I use it would be pointless.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Dec 04 2014, 21:26

Who remembers having to drink the small bottle of red top at school ? I think that put me off milk to be honest. It was usually warm and I hated it. We were forced to drink it ! Funny the things you remember eh ? This is so vivid to me !
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 21:32

graham64 wrote:I can remember my mum getting milk direct from a local dairy in a jug, don't know if it was pasturised or not but it was very creamy and was nice to drink. Years later we had green top delivered the problem then was the bluetits they used to peck through the top to get at the cream Laughing

As much as I'd love to have raw milk due to the small amount I use it would be pointless.

Memories ...memories ..... I too can remember the problem blue tits caused when my mum had milk delivered. Perhaps the plastic type bottles we now get from supermarkets do have an advantage?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 21:35

mo1905 wrote:Who remembers having to drink the small bottle of red top at school ? I think that put me off milk to be honest. It was usually warm and I hated it. We were forced to drink it ! Funny the things you remember eh ? This is so vivid to me !

I can remember looking forward to my drink of milk at school ...... and now a few years on, well perhaps a bit more than a few lol!   I still like milk but the blue top. sunny

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 04 2014, 21:48

Jan1 wrote:
    graham64 wrote:I can remember my mum getting milk direct from a local dairy in a jug, don't know if it was pasturised or not but it was very creamy and was nice to drink. Years later we had green top delivered the problem then was the bluetits they used to peck through the top to get at the cream Laughing

Memories ...memories ..... I too can remember the problem blue tits caused when my mum had milk delivered. Perhaps the plastic type bottles we now get from supermarkets do have an advantage?

All the best Jan

It's not the only the plastic bottles Jan it's the lack of cream at the top of the milk, we still have bottles delivered in some places round here and the bluetits don't bother with it.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 22:03

graham64 wrote:
    Jan1 wrote:

All the best Jan

It's not the only the plastic bottles Jan it's the lack of cream at the top of the milk, we still have bottles delivered in some places round here and the bluetits don't bother with it.

Only goes to show how much our food and drink has changed over the years.
    But is it good progress?

Jan

flower
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Thu Dec 04 2014, 22:22

No, I can't get raw milk Jan, sadly. Mad

Some years ago there was a dairy farmer in our village back in Hampshire who sold us raw milk. Unfortunately he stopped selling it eventually. It was costing him too much to get the herd Brucellosis and Tuberculosis tested, and it turned out we were the only family drinking it! If I'd known that, I'd have gone on a publicity campaign for him. Mind you, people weren't as interested in, or knowledgeable of the benefits of raw milk back then.

There are farmers in the UK who sell direct, but it not only is very expensive, it's nowhere near South Wales. Apparently there is such a demand in London, some farmers send vans up to sell direct to the public.

Over in France, most dairy is raw, and they have much better health than we do. Their wheat is generally an older, better strain than ours. They are very protective of their food and the ancient tried -and-tested ways of producing and processing it.

Like the US, however, our food is very poor.

AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Thu Dec 04 2014, 22:27

I detest homogenisation, but it's almost impossible to find milk that has cream on top. Even Jersey milk seems to be homogenised now. That's another reason why I drink milk very reluctantly.

Apparently the fat globules are rendered so small that they can pass through previously impermeable structures within the body. What damage that might be doing is unknown.

Pasteurised, homogenised milk is dead food.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 22:32

AliB wrote:

Over in France, most dairy is raw, and they have much better health than we do.  Their wheat is generally an older, better strain than ours.  They are very protective of their food and the ancient tried -and-tested ways of producing and processing it.

Like the US, however, our food is very poor.

I think in France raw milk and especially raw milk cheeses are considered the standard for high quality dairy products. Many French cuisine traditionalists consider pasteurized cheeses almost a sacrilege. Many traditional French cheeses have solely been made from raw milk for hundreds of years .......

All the best Jan

flower
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Post by horfilmania Thu Dec 04 2014, 23:24

Raw milk is outlawed here in Canada but I know how to get the goodness without breaking the law. Most food stores have an organic section and the "organic old and medium cheddar cheese" is made from organic raw milk. I enjoy the cheese more than I would the milk anyway as I don't drink milk and never have.
    Edwina
    Edwina
    Banned

Post by Edwina Thu Dec 04 2014, 23:39

AliB wrote:http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/bacterial-orns-a-new-paradigm-to-prevent-infections/

By killing the microbes in milk, are they killing our immune systems???

Pasteurisation is yet another 'meddling' gone wrong.

It's not protection of the people (many people get sick and die from pasteurised dairy-borne infections every year), it's only done for protection of the Dairy Industry.  Raw dairy from clean providers never has been harmful.  

The only thing pasteurising kills are nasties like bovine TB and other stomach churning bugs. I know I use to own a dairy farm.

Edwina
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Fri Dec 05 2014, 09:45

Which is why, if you ran a farm, you would know that herds would need to be tested regularly, and the raw milk would have to go through very stringent controls.

Pasteurisation was set up to compensate for dirty dairy practices. It was only needed because of conglomerate milk collection. After all, if every dairy still operated privately, no one would buy milk from a dairy that made them ill.....

Humankind has consumed unpasteurised milk for thousands of years - and in many parts of the World, still do. They don't have any problems with it.

In truth, any food can cause food poisoning. There is a lot of fear-mongering over raw milk, but actually, some of the worst cases of food poisoning and Listeria, etc., have come from pasteurised milk, deli processed meats and......cantaloupe.....

Any food, whether raw, pasteurised or processed can trigger a health hazard if dirty practices have been deployed in their manufacture. Spraying crops with contaminated water, feeding animals contaminated feed, packaging done by people with parasites and diseases, unclean dairies, etc., etc., can all contribute to any issue.

But providing the processing is done properly, there is no more risk to health from raw milk than any other food substance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 08:52