THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Keto test strips

Douglas V

Keto test strips Empty Keto test strips

Post by Douglas V Fri Nov 28 2014, 10:28

I'm hoping that I am in a ketongenic state, but haven't any way to test. Is there anyone who uses blood testing strips for ketons? If, so what brand of meter are you using? How about the keton test strips that a person pees on. Understand they aren't so accurate, but in a pinch they might do. Are they hard to find?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Keto test strips Empty Re: Keto test strips

Post by Paul1976 Fri Nov 28 2014, 10:36

Douglas V wrote:I'm hoping that I am in a ketongenic state, but haven't any way to test. Is there anyone who uses blood testing strips for ketons? If, so what brand of meter are you using?  How about the keton test strips that a person pees on. Understand they aren't so accurate, but in a pinch they might do. Are they hard to find?

Haven't used the blood testing strips to test for ketones myself due to the price but I do use the 'Bayer Ketostix' urine strips which give you a guide though depending on how hydrated you are or whether your burning all the ketones as fuel then the results will vary and you can be in deep ketosis and only show light pink on the strip or show a deep purple simply being down to dehydration or spilling excess ketones out rather than burning them (Especially in the early stages of a ketogenic diet)
    You can get them in most chemists for around £5.

Best regards

Paul

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 06:49