THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Vitamin B12 Deficiency Is Associated With Adverse Lipid Profile in Europeans and Indians With Type 2 Diabetes

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Vitamin B12 Deficiency Is Associated With Adverse Lipid Profile in Europeans and Indians With Type 2 Diabetes Empty Vitamin B12 Deficiency Is Associated With Adverse Lipid Profile in Europeans and Indians With Type 2 Diabetes

Post by graham64 Mon Nov 24 2014, 22:35

Abstract

Background Metformin, a standard therapy in type 2 diabetes, reduces vitamin B12 levels. Studies linking low vitamin B12 levels and cardiovascular disease are equivocal and suggest improving B12 levels may help in primary prevention. The role of vitamin B12 deficiency on cardiovascular risk factors, especially in type 2 diabetes has not been explored. The aim of this study is to investigate whether vitamin B12 deficiency in type 2 diabetes patients is associated with cardiovascular risk factors in two different ethnic groups in UK and India.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/834691_1
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Vitamin B12 Deficiency Is Associated With Adverse Lipid Profile in Europeans and Indians With Type 2 Diabetes Empty Re: Vitamin B12 Deficiency Is Associated With Adverse Lipid Profile in Europeans and Indians With Type 2 Diabetes

Post by zand Tue Nov 25 2014, 07:28

Hmmmm. So they recommend statins, when maybe vitamin B12 would be a better option to protect from cardiovascular disease?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Vitamin B12 Deficiency Is Associated With Adverse Lipid Profile in Europeans and Indians With Type 2 Diabetes Empty Re: Vitamin B12 Deficiency Is Associated With Adverse Lipid Profile in Europeans and Indians With Type 2 Diabetes

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 25 2014, 08:44

It is well known long term Metformin use can lead to B12 deficiency, with this in mind and after around five years of Metformin use I run that past my diabetes nurse. We have a somewhat err.....strained relationship at times, but she is very knowledgeable and highly professional. She lost her father to type two diabetes complications, as did I.  

I stated I eat plenty of food that should help B12 levels, but here is the rub, she said that as we age B12 is not so well absorbed from food. She organised a blood test for me for B12 which came out good. The remedy if a problem is a quarterly B12 injection. Worth looking into for others I reckon.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Tue Nov 25 2014, 10:01

I've been hearing lately that serum levels of B12 aren't an accurate way of measuring them. Chris Kresser talks about B12 quite a bit in this video on neuropathy:

One of the few things I envy in the Americans is the level of their testing and diagnostics. It's damned frustrating knowing that I'd have no chance of having the tests they talk about. Our pathology seems very basic by comparison Sad
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 25 2014, 13:40

Hi Indy any other words of cheer ? Sad And there was me thinking I had B12 sorted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 05:48