THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

The Telegraph: Could LCHF Help Diabetes ?

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

The Telegraph: Could LCHF Help Diabetes ? Empty The Telegraph: Could LCHF Help Diabetes ?

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 24 2014, 20:34

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

The Telegraph: Could LCHF Help Diabetes ? Empty Re: The Telegraph: Could LCHF Help Diabetes ?

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 13:11

Sorry Mo - have only just read this and your link to The Telegraph article.

Apologies if others have read it and know about it, but I have copied the Telegraph article below.

Now I think many of us will not be surprised at what they read ................  Smile

" Merseyside doctor, David Unwin, suspects that a high-carbohydrate diet may have the opposite effect to that intended for those with diabetes.
    There have been several gratifying instances reported in this column recently where readers have proved a lot more successful than their doctors in treating, and indeed "curing", their diabetes, usually by switching from the currently recommended "high–carb/low–fat" diet to its opposite, which involves a plentiful intake of meat, milk, butter, cream and similar delights. This might sound a bit too controversial for some, but is vindicated by the impressive results achieved by Merseyside family doctor David Unwin.

A few years ago, Dr Unwin began to suspect that the advice favouring complex "high–carbohydrate foods" such as wholemeal bread, pasta and rice might have the reverse effect to that intended, by acting to increase the blood sugar level in those with diabetes. "Bread should be recognised as a concentrated sugar with a higher glycaemic index than sugar itself," he writes.

Accordingly, he proposed that all the patients in his practice who had been newly identified as having type 2, or "pre–", diabetes should adopt a high–fat diet. The results, published in the journal Practical Diabetes, are truly astonishing – an average weight loss of 9kg with a reduction in waist circumference from 120cm to 105cm. There was also a striking improvement in both their blood sugar levels, with only two still in the abnormal range. Seven patients were able to come off their medication.

Their blood pressure also improved and the average cholesterol reading fell from 5.5 to 4.7 – seeming to disprove the persistent rhetoric of the past 20 years implicating "high–fat" foods as a cause of raised cholesterol.

Meanwhile, a straight comparison of the two dietary approaches in 150 people in the US produced similar results. Dr Lydia Bazzoni reported in the Annals of Internal Medicine last month that those on a high–fat diet benefited from considerably greater weight loss, while also reducing their 10–year risk of heart disease.

There is not the slightest hint that the experts have any intention of acknowledging (or reversing) the potential harm of current dietary recommendations, though readers can draw their own conclusions. As for Dr Unwin, he is not a diabetic himself but has adopted the high–fat diet he recommends for his patients. "I am much more alert and surprisingly it helps me run faster," he writes. In fact, he has just completed a 10km race in 46 minutes – "my best for years". "

And there you have it  Smile

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 13:48