THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

So there I was waiting for my retinopathy check ...

sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

So there I was waiting for my retinopathy check ... Empty So there I was waiting for my retinopathy check ...

Post by sanguine Thu Nov 13 2014, 12:37

I had my initial retinopathy check on Tuesday (8 months after diagnosis but that's another story).

While waiting in the ante-room after having my eyedrops administered the next appointment comes in and sits down.

Him: "Are you on insulin?".
    Me: "No, I'm not on any medication at all".
    Him: "What, not even tablets?".
    Me: "No, just diet. I was only diagnosed 8 months ago and my HbA1c is now at the top end of 'normal'. You're T2? How long for?".
    Him: (a bit non-plussed now) "Ages, about 15 years".
    Me: "I just minimised all carbohydrates, no bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. The NHS diet advice is crap by the way".
    Him: "But that's so difficult".
    Me: "Not if your objective is to avoid drugs and ..."

I was about to go on to say avoid complications etc but at that point I was called back in for my photos.

Maybe he will follow the diet advice up but I won't hold my breath.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

So there I was waiting for my retinopathy check ... Empty Re: So there I was waiting for my retinopathy check ...

Post by Andy12345 Thu Nov 13 2014, 12:53

im afraid I'm going through a "oh well fkin eat it then" thase, when i talk to other diabetics in the real world, i often come across them at work as I'm in someones house each day and we have plenty of chat time, it often comes up, i start to explain what i do, and they often say how they are killing themselves, I've got to the point of just can't be bothered to waste my breath, as soon as i get the "i couldn't give up my roast potatoes on sundays" i give up and talk about the weather, I'm getting grumpier the older i get obviously lol
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

So there I was waiting for my retinopathy check ... Empty Re: So there I was waiting for my retinopathy check ...

Post by Paul1976 Thu Nov 13 2014, 13:56

At my last retinopathy screening there was 2 other fellas chatting away about their diabetes(One had already lost a toe and had some laser treatment for his retinopathy) and the subject of BG levels came up and one asked the other "What are you readings mostly like?" to which the other replied "Pretty good-usually about 11" to which the other replied "Oh well done,that's pretty good!" Shocked I just kept out of it as I knew I wouldn't get a good reception if I chimed up about those levels being pretty bad. Sad
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 13 2014, 13:56

Andy said ........ " I'm getting grumpier the older i get obviously lol "

Andy you can't be turning into a 'Victor Meldrew' yet - you're too young lol!

Seriously, I've found there are those whose eyes and ears are far more receptive to health improvement. Then there are those who just don't seem to want to know.  Sad

Onwards and upwards - here come the low carb warrior's and warrior'esses Smile

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 09:12