THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

America land of the free?

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

America land of the free? Empty America land of the free?

Post by graham64 Thu Nov 06 2014, 22:17

I subscribe to Diabetes in Control and this was in an e-mail I received today:

Last night I was in the pharmacy and a 22-year-old man came in with prescriptions for insulin, syringes, glucose meter, test strips and lancets. He had come by motorcycle and while he was waiting for his prescription he never took off his helmet or jacket even though it was 75 degrees in the pharmacy. 
    He had a prescription for 70/30 Human insulin and was to use it 25u in am and pm. I assumed that he was a newly diagnosed type 1 patient and I started to talk to him about diabetes. We were only 10 minutes into our conversation when I found out that he had been diagnosed at age 17 but, because he had no insurance, had not tested his glucose in over 7 months and had not seen a physician in about 18 months. When I asked him about his insulin use, he admitted that he averaged about 4 shots a week and would often go a couple of weeks with no shots because he could not afford the insulin. The reason he was at the pharmacy was due to a hospital visit because of DKA, and our county indigent plan had extended him coverage.
    This makes me think about how many others are like this young man and how, no matter how good our insulins or our delivery devices get, we could do a better job of care by just making sure everybody could get the diabetes treatment they need.

Your partner in diabetes care, 

Dave Joffe 

Editor-in-chief

The NHS has many faults but at least diabetics get free prescriptions for now Neutral
    Tent
    Tent
    Banned

Male Posts : 24

America land of the free? Empty Re: America land of the free?

Post by Tent Thu Nov 06 2014, 22:28

graham64 wrote:I subscribe to Diabetes in Control and this was in an e-mail I received today:

Last night I was in the pharmacy and a 22-year-old man came in with prescriptions for insulin, syringes, glucose meter, test strips and lancets. He had come by motorcycle and while he was waiting for his prescription he never took off his helmet or jacket even though it was 75 degrees in the pharmacy. 
    He had a prescription for 70/30 Human insulin and was to use it 25u in am and pm. I assumed that he was a newly diagnosed type 1 patient and I started to talk to him about diabetes. We were only 10 minutes into our conversation when I found out that he had been diagnosed at age 17 but, because he had no insurance, had not tested his glucose in over 7 months and had not seen a physician in about 18 months. When I asked him about his insulin use, he admitted that he averaged about 4 shots a week and would often go a couple of weeks with no shots because he could not afford the insulin. The reason he was at the pharmacy was due to a hospital visit because of DKA, and our county indigent plan had extended him coverage.
    This makes me think about how many others are like this young man and how, no matter how good our insulins or our delivery devices get, we could do a better job of care by just making sure everybody could get the diabetes treatment they need.

Dave Joffe 

Editor-in-chief

The NHS has many faults but at least diabetics get free prescriptions for now Neutral

America home of the free and idiotic.

Tent
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 06 2014, 22:51

graham64 wrote:I subscribe to Diabetes in Control and this was in an e-mail I received today:

Dave Joffe 

Editor-in-chief

" at least diabetics get free prescriptions for now "

and I'm sure we all hope - for a lot longer to come.

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Nov 06 2014, 22:55

We sometimes don't appreciate how fortunate we are !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Nov 06 2014, 22:58

mo1905 wrote:We sometimes don't appreciate how fortunate we are !

Very true,just look at the Ebola crisis for one and us Brits complain about a cold! Very humbling indeed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 23:58