THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Indy51
Eddie
6 posters

Cereal killers? More than half of rice products including Rice Krispies and Heinz baby rice exceed new EU limits for ARSENIC

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Cereal killers? More than half of rice products including Rice Krispies and Heinz baby rice exceed new EU limits for ARSENIC Empty Cereal killers? More than half of rice products including Rice Krispies and Heinz baby rice exceed new EU limits for ARSENIC

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 03 2014, 09:17

New research has found that more than half of Britain's most popular rice products - including Kellogg's Rice Krispies and Smooth Baby Rice by Heinz  - exceed proposed new EU limits for arsenic.

While there are low levels of arsenic in most food and water, researchers are now concerned that arsenic can reach much higher levels in rice.

Channel 4's Dispatches, Rice: How Safe is our Food? which will be broadcast on Monday night, tested 81 different products with the Institute for Global Food Security at Queen's University Belfast.

They discovered 58 per cent exceeded proposed European Union recommended limits for children, which are expected to come into force next summer.

Although there are strict limits for the amount of arsenic level allowed in water, there are currently no maximum levels in food - and now some scientists are speaking out as they are concerned about the effects of long-term exposure.

As more evidence emerges about the harm high levels of arsenic might cause, particularly to children, new maximum levels have been proposed by the European Union with the support of the Food Standards Agency.

The proposed new EU recommendations will limit 200 parts of arsenic per billion for adults and just 100 ppb for children and babies.

During the research products including Kelloggs' Rice Krispies and Kallo organic puffed rice cereal were tested multiple times - and some showed high levels of inorganic arsenic, far above the proposed limits.

More on this story here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817542/More-half-rice-products-exceed-new-EU-limits-ARSENIC.html

My Bold text

Eddie
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Cereal killers? More than half of rice products including Rice Krispies and Heinz baby rice exceed new EU limits for ARSENIC Empty Re: Cereal killers? More than half of rice products including Rice Krispies and Heinz baby rice exceed new EU limits for ARSENIC

Post by Indy51 Mon Nov 03 2014, 12:21

Makes me even happier that I've given up eating all grains affraid
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Cereal killers? More than half of rice products including Rice Krispies and Heinz baby rice exceed new EU limits for ARSENIC Empty Re: Cereal killers? More than half of rice products including Rice Krispies and Heinz baby rice exceed new EU limits for ARSENIC

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 03 2014, 16:31

As many now think is it wise to eat grains ?

We substitute rice with cauliflower rice but many don't.

How safe is any of our food these days? Soil technology, and everything about our soil etc, how we grow our foods has changed. Do your best to eat whole fresh foods and stay away from processed ......

May just watch tonight's Channel 4's Dispatches, Rice: How Safe is our Food?

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Nov 04 2014, 17:41

Missed the show last night on TV regarding arsenic in rice. Did anyone catch it ? Anything interesting ?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 04 2014, 18:26

mo1905 wrote:Missed the show last night on TV regarding arsenic in rice. Did anyone catch it ? Anything interesting ?

I watched the show and found it very interesting.

However the most worrying aspect I found was for the children. Some of the foods did appear to contain very high levels of arsenic.

There are controls in place in relation to the amount of arsenic in water but not in foods ....seems madness to me.

As usual a very 'wishy washy' reply from the lady representing the FSA.

Did anyone else watch this programme?

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Nov 04 2014, 21:40

So, to summarise, is it safe to eat rice ?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Tue Nov 04 2014, 21:48

mo1905 wrote:So, to summarise, is it safe to eat rice ?

"if in doubt do check with your own Dr first..." freakout freakout Twisted Evil Wink

mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Nov 04 2014, 21:55

Paul wrote:

"if in doubt do check with your own Dr first..." freakout freakout Twisted Evil Wink

Lol ! No chance ! He hung up when I asked if it was OK to eat a boiled egg :-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Tue Nov 04 2014, 22:07

mo1905 wrote:
    Paul wrote:

Lol ! No chance ! He hung up when I asked if it was OK to eat a boiled egg :-)

Twisted Evil Not to worry lol...I have it on good authority that consuming 8 eggs per week is safe! freakout lol!
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Wed Nov 05 2014, 09:33

funny how people hear what they want to hear, i read this article to my wife and kids last night, my eleven year old said thats it! I'm never drinking water again! alien and the wife goes about the water too..... it was like the words about the rice bounced straight off
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Thu Nov 06 2014, 05:00

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 12:34