The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

soups in winter?

Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 80

Re: soups in winter?

Post by Wobblycogs on Sun Sep 18 2016, 07:21

My soups are simple.

For vegetable soups I stick to consommé and don't thicken them at all, unless I feel like cream-of-vegetable. when I feel extra luxurious I chuck in some broccoli and Stilton, my favourite mix!  
    I am a serial user of home made stocks, and make batches of whatever kinds of meat take my fancy. I portion them in Chinese meal containers and freeze.

Whenever I have a chicken roast, I boil up what's left after Sunday lunch and freeze the resulting broth. Now and then I buy a small broiling chicken and make a broth with the whole bird.

I make a low-carb tomato sauce with tinned tomatoes, puree and dried herbs; whizzed up in a blender. No recipe. Just keep tasting until you're happy!

I use chicken-broth as a basis for most meat soups.  (I also add chicken broth to the roasting pan when I make the Sunday roast, whatever the meat.) I don't buy joints from supermarkets, but use a real butcher, who gets me all sorts of non-standard meats. I buy an Oxtail now and again, and make a broth with that. It's a delicious, meaty soup is that; mixed with a little of my tomato sauce, and a few spices, it sure beats Heinz! If I have leftover game, I make a 'Poacher's broth' and freeze that.

All in all, I have the makings for Beef and Tomato soup, Chicken and Mushroom soup, Chicken and Vegetable soup, Oxtail and Tomato soup,  and of course I can always add cream for 'cream-of-whatever'! Occasionally I allow myself some peas or beans as I love pea/broad bean and ham soup with cream! Loverly grub, and I don't get too tied down with recipes.

I hope my broth-based soups help you good people. It might sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. At the least you know what goes into your soups, and that you aren't overloading on carbs.

Now a confession... I love porridge. I do fall to temptation, and it's deliciously depraved when made with double cream, and a sinful spoon or two of sugar!

Now I am working on making low carb ice-creams, and smoothies, but I am having difficulty finding a sweetener that doesn't cause bathroom problems!

Incidentally I have lost yet another 10 pounds since my last visit! Down to 17.5 stones! freakout

Cheers and Bon Appetit  (Guessing here, as I have little French!)

Wobbly      
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs on Sun Sep 18 2016, 07:38

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:Hi Andy

If you are concerned about microwaves (I'm not) you could get a food flask to carry food you have heated at home on the hob.  They are great for soups, stews, currys etc.

Some years ago I had a large four pint flask. It was a belter, and great for travelling. It got broken of course, and I've never seen one since. Maybe I should surf to find a modern one? clap
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4151

Post by Jan1 on Sun Sep 18 2016, 18:20

Wobblycogs wrote:My soups are simple.

For vegetable soups I stick to consommé and don't thicken them at all, unless I feel like cream-of-vegetable. when I feel extra luxurious I chuck in some broccoli and Stilton, my favourite mix!  
    I am a serial user of home made stocks, and make batches of whatever kinds of meat take my fancy. I portion them in Chinese meal containers and freeze.

Whenever I have a chicken roast, I boil up what's left after Sunday lunch and freeze the resulting broth. Now and then I buy a small broiling chicken and make a broth with the whole bird.

I make a low-carb tomato sauce with tinned tomatoes, puree and dried herbs;  whizzed up in a blender. No recipe. Just keep tasting until you're happy!

I use chicken-broth as a basis for most meat soups.  (I also add chicken broth to the roasting pan when I make the Sunday roast, whatever the meat.) I don't buy joints from supermarkets, but use a real butcher, who gets me all sorts of non-standard meats. I buy an Oxtail now and again, and make a broth with that. It's a delicious, meaty soup is that; mixed with a little of my tomato sauce, and a few spices, it sure beats Heinz! If I have leftover game, I make a 'Poacher's broth' and freeze that.

All in all, I have the makings for Beef and Tomato soup, Chicken and Mushroom soup, Chicken and Vegetable soup, Oxtail and Tomato soup,  and of course I can always add cream for 'cream-of-whatever'! Occasionally I allow myself some peas or beans as I love pea/broad bean and ham soup with cream! Loverly grub, and I don't get too tied down with recipes.

I hope my broth-based soups help you good people. It might sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. At the least you know what goes into your soups, and that you aren't overloading on carbs.

Now a confession... I love porridge. I do fall to temptation, and it's deliciously depraved when made with double cream, and a sinful spoon or two of sugar!

Now I am working on making low carb ice-creams, and smoothies, but I am having difficulty finding a sweetener that doesn't cause bathroom problems!

Incidentally I have lost yet another 10 pounds since my last visit! Down to 17.5 stones!  freakout

Cheers and Bon Appetit  (Guessing here, as I have little French!)

Wobbly      

Wow ... Wobbly!

1) Your soup tips are just great, so pleased you shared them here ...thank you Smile  
    It really is getting more like soup weather now and your idea of  keeping batches of home made stock in the freezer is a winner!

2) But with regard to your porridge Rolling Eyes but it is of course up to each of us what we choose to eat, and I guess it is 'deliciously depraved when made with double cream'  Smile

3) With regard to sweeteners, I agree what suits one person may not suit another. Libby at Ditch The Carbs site has a good article on sweeteners that you may find of interest - it's here http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2016/08/11/low-carb-sweeteners/

thumb-up clap cheers clap thumb-up  on your weight loss - keep up the great work  Smile

That is very good   :   'c'est très bien'

All the best Jan
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs on Mon Sep 19 2016, 22:53

Thank you Jan. I will have a read of Libby's site. Although I was trying to wean myself off sweeteners as well as sugar; without much success. I am fine with tea sans milk and sugar, but I just cannot take coffee without sweetener, and I don't want to give up my one cup a day.
    Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy making your own soups using my 'multi-recipe!(Go on! I dare you! Very Happy

Cheers,

Wobbly
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Oct 28 2016, 12:52

Thai Pumpkin Soup

Deep orange. Wonderfully spicy, exotic and fragrant. Rich and satisfying. A low carb high fat Thai pumpkin soup for cold, rainy days. And it’s dairy-free, too!

INGREDIENTS:
    Makes 6½ cups
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger root
    2 teaspoons crushed garlic
    2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (The heat of different brands of Thai red curry paste vary in heat, so if unsure add less curry past to start off with. You can always add more later.)
    2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
    2 cups water
    500 g pumpkin cubes, cut smaller (perhaps buy the packets of cubed pumpkin, but to speed up the cooking process, cut each cube into three or four smaller pieces. Choose the brightest orange pumpkin you can get.)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    400 g can coconut cream
    1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    salt to taste
    milled black pepper to taste
    toasted pumpkin seeds to garnish
    chopped chives to garnish
    cayenne pepper to garnish

Please see cooking instructions and more here ...
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/thai-pumpkin-soup-lchf.html

All the best Jan
    sunny
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Nov 01 2016, 18:13

Jan1 wrote:Now this soup is lovely at this time of year ...

It's Roast Red Pepper & Tomato Soup

Ingredients
    Serves Four

3 Deep red peppers, halved & de-seeded.
    1 White onion, unpeeled & halved.
    4 Cloves of garlic, unpeeled.
    2 Sticks of celery, sliced & chopped.
    500g Plum tomatoes.
    450ml Vegetable stock.
    2tbsp Olive oil.
    2tbsp Tomato puree.
    1tbsp Sundried tomato paste.
    1tsp Flaked chilli.
    25g Butter.
    Salt & coarsely ground black pepper

Method:

1. Pre heat oven to 190/gas mark 4. Place the pepper & onion halves (cut side down) along with the plum tomatoes & garlic cloves into a baking tray & drizzle with the olive oil. Bake at the top of your oven for 30 mins or until the vegetables are roasted & tender.
    2. Meanwhile melt down the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and saute the chopped celery for 4-5 mins. Not too hot, don't burn the butter.
    3. Make up the vegetable stock adding the tomato puree, sundried tomato paste & the chilli flakes. Mix well and then add to the sauteed celery. Remove from the heat.
    4. When the baked vegetables are ready remove the peel from the onion & garlic cloves roughly chop them & add them to the pan along with the plum tomatoes. Place back on to a low to medium heat & using a hand blender blend until the soup is smooth.
    5. Season to taste & gently simmer until the soup is at a comfortable edible temperature. Do not allow the soup to boil.

For more details about the benefits of red peppers and link to recipe see here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/red-peppers-good-nutrients-and-great.html

All the best Jan

flower flower flower

I've said it before and I'll say it again ...
    This soup is great at this time of year Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Nov 08 2016, 21:23

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

Definitely soup weather at the moment ...

There is nothing so welcoming as a bowl of warm tasting soup and this 'Creamy Cauliflower Soup' is just so easy. It's rich and tasty and an easy option after a busy day at work or play.

Ingredients:
    Serves Two
    3.5g carb per serving
    2 cups Cauliflower flowerettes
    50 g Butter
    ½ cup Cream
    1 Garlic clove
    2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (grated or sliced)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions:
    Boil cauliflower until soft.  Drain cauliflower (put the drained excess water aside) and place in a blender with butter, cream, Parmesan cheese, and garlic . Blend cauliflower etc until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Thin the soup down with excess cauliflower water if you prefer a thinner soup.
    This Creamy Cauliflower Soup can be stored and served for tomorrow's lunch. Note that the carb count is based on 2 serves. If you choose to thin your soup with the excess cauliflower water, the recipe could easily stretch to 3 or 4 servings.

Idea from here
    http://www.jmcphee.com/2015/08/20/low-carb-creamy-cauliflower-soup/

Need help with weight / measurement conversion ... see here
    http://startcooking.com/measurement-and-conversion-charts

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Wed Dec 28 2016, 19:43

Jan1 wrote:

Brussels Sprouts and cheddar cheese soup

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    Ready in approx 35 minutes
    7.9g carbohydrate per serving

a splash of olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
    2 medium onions, chopped
    300 g cooked Brussels sprouts
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    650 ml vegetable stock
    4 tbsp single cream
    100 g mature cheddar, grated, plus extra to serve

Yes, another great soup idea from Sainsburys, which you can see here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/brussels-sprouts-and-cheddar-cheese-soup.html

Brrr ... definitely soup weather today, and we still have some Brussels sprouts in the fridge to use up Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Jan 07 2017, 13:45

Parsnip & Cauliflower Soup

Just right for the cooler winter months, this lovely warming bowl of parsnip and cauliflower soup.

Ingredients
    Serves Four
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 leek, sliced
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp fennel seeds
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 parsnips, chopped
    1-2 cups vegetable stock/broth
    1 medium or ½ large cauliflower head

For the Roasted Parsnip Toppers
    1-2 parsnips, thinly sliced
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Method
    1. To make the roasted parsnip toppers - preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC / Gas Mark 4 - and line an oven-proof tray with parchment paper.
    2. Place thinly sliced parsnip on oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
    3. For the soup - heat pot over medium heat.
    4. Sauté leek in olive oil until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
    5. Add garlic and fennel seeds, lightly cook until fragrant.
    6. Add in parsnips and season with salt and pepper.
    7. Add broth and bring to a boil and simmer until parsnips are cooked.
    8. Add chopped cauliflower florets, and simmer for another 10-15 minute.
    9. Allow soup to slightly cool, then blend (in blender or food processor) in batches until you have a smooth purée. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
    10. Serve in bowls with crispy parsnip toppers.

I really like the idea of the parsnip toppers  sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Thu Mar 16 2017, 12:10

Kale and Spinach Soup

This is a Vegan style recipe for soup, which I saw on Diet Doctor site, but if you like kale and spinach why not give it a try.

Here are the ingredients :
    Serves Four
    (13 carbs per serving)
    3¼ oz./ 90 g coconut oil
    ½ lb / 225 g kale
    ½ lb / 225 g fresh spinach
    2 avocados
    3 1⁄3 cups / 800 ml coconut milk or coconut cream
    1 cup / 240 ml water
    fresh mint or dried mint (optional)
    1 teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 lime, the juice

Fried kale
    3¼ oz. / 90 g kale
    2 chopped garlic cloves
    1 oz. / 30 g coconut oil
    ½ teaspoon ground cardamom (green)
    salt and pepper

If you don’t like coconut milk you can of course make this soup with heavy (double)  cream or full-fat sour cream, and butter instead of coconut oil. The soup will then be vegetarian, not vegan!

For cooking instructions please use this link here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/vegan-kale-spinach-soup

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26 2017, 20:56