THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+7
Sharon
Avocado Sevenfold
Jan1
Eddie
carty
Paul1976
Andy12345
11 posters

soups in winter?

Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

soups in winter? - Page 2 Empty Re: soups in winter?

Post by Wobblycogs Sun Sep 18 2016, 07:21

My soups are simple.

For vegetable soups I stick to consommé and don't thicken them at all, unless I feel like cream-of-vegetable. when I feel extra luxurious I chuck in some broccoli and Stilton, my favourite mix!  
    I am a serial user of home made stocks, and make batches of whatever kinds of meat take my fancy. I portion them in Chinese meal containers and freeze.

Whenever I have a chicken roast, I boil up what's left after Sunday lunch and freeze the resulting broth. Now and then I buy a small broiling chicken and make a broth with the whole bird.

I make a low-carb tomato sauce with tinned tomatoes, puree and dried herbs; whizzed up in a blender. No recipe. Just keep tasting until you're happy!

I use chicken-broth as a basis for most meat soups.  (I also add chicken broth to the roasting pan when I make the Sunday roast, whatever the meat.) I don't buy joints from supermarkets, but use a real butcher, who gets me all sorts of non-standard meats. I buy an Oxtail now and again, and make a broth with that. It's a delicious, meaty soup is that; mixed with a little of my tomato sauce, and a few spices, it sure beats Heinz! If I have leftover game, I make a 'Poacher's broth' and freeze that.

All in all, I have the makings for Beef and Tomato soup, Chicken and Mushroom soup, Chicken and Vegetable soup, Oxtail and Tomato soup,  and of course I can always add cream for 'cream-of-whatever'! Occasionally I allow myself some peas or beans as I love pea/broad bean and ham soup with cream! Loverly grub, and I don't get too tied down with recipes.

I hope my broth-based soups help you good people. It might sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. At the least you know what goes into your soups, and that you aren't overloading on carbs.

Now a confession... I love porridge. I do fall to temptation, and it's deliciously depraved when made with double cream, and a sinful spoon or two of sugar!

Now I am working on making low carb ice-creams, and smoothies, but I am having difficulty finding a sweetener that doesn't cause bathroom problems!

Incidentally I have lost yet another 10 pounds since my last visit! Down to 17.5 stones! freakout

Cheers and Bon Appetit  (Guessing here, as I have little French!)

Wobbly      soups in winter? - Page 2 280
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Sun Sep 18 2016, 07:38

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:Hi Andy

If you are concerned about microwaves (I'm not) you could get a food flask to carry food you have heated at home on the hob.  They are great for soups, stews, currys etc.

Some years ago I had a large four pint flask. It was a belter, and great for travelling. It got broken of course, and I've never seen one since. Maybe I should surf to find a modern one? clap
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Sep 18 2016, 18:20

Wobblycogs wrote:My soups are simple.

For vegetable soups I stick to consommé and don't thicken them at all, unless I feel like cream-of-vegetable. when I feel extra luxurious I chuck in some broccoli and Stilton, my favourite mix!  
    I am a serial user of home made stocks, and make batches of whatever kinds of meat take my fancy. I portion them in Chinese meal containers and freeze.

Whenever I have a chicken roast, I boil up what's left after Sunday lunch and freeze the resulting broth. Now and then I buy a small broiling chicken and make a broth with the whole bird.

I make a low-carb tomato sauce with tinned tomatoes, puree and dried herbs;  whizzed up in a blender. No recipe. Just keep tasting until you're happy!

I use chicken-broth as a basis for most meat soups.  (I also add chicken broth to the roasting pan when I make the Sunday roast, whatever the meat.) I don't buy joints from supermarkets, but use a real butcher, who gets me all sorts of non-standard meats. I buy an Oxtail now and again, and make a broth with that. It's a delicious, meaty soup is that; mixed with a little of my tomato sauce, and a few spices, it sure beats Heinz! If I have leftover game, I make a 'Poacher's broth' and freeze that.

All in all, I have the makings for Beef and Tomato soup, Chicken and Mushroom soup, Chicken and Vegetable soup, Oxtail and Tomato soup,  and of course I can always add cream for 'cream-of-whatever'! Occasionally I allow myself some peas or beans as I love pea/broad bean and ham soup with cream! Loverly grub, and I don't get too tied down with recipes.

I hope my broth-based soups help you good people. It might sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. At the least you know what goes into your soups, and that you aren't overloading on carbs.

Now a confession... I love porridge. I do fall to temptation, and it's deliciously depraved when made with double cream, and a sinful spoon or two of sugar!

Now I am working on making low carb ice-creams, and smoothies, but I am having difficulty finding a sweetener that doesn't cause bathroom problems!

Incidentally I have lost yet another 10 pounds since my last visit! Down to 17.5 stones!  freakout

Cheers and Bon Appetit  (Guessing here, as I have little French!)

Wobbly      soups in winter? - Page 2 280

Wow ... Wobbly!

1) Your soup tips are just great, so pleased you shared them here ...thank you Smile  
    It really is getting more like soup weather now and your idea of  keeping batches of home made stock in the freezer is a winner!

2) But with regard to your porridge Rolling Eyes but it is of course up to each of us what we choose to eat, and I guess it is 'deliciously depraved when made with double cream'  Smile

3) With regard to sweeteners, I agree what suits one person may not suit another. Libby at Ditch The Carbs site has a good article on sweeteners that you may find of interest - it's here http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2016/08/11/low-carb-sweeteners/

thumb-up clap cheers clap thumb-up  on your weight loss - keep up the great work  Smile

That is very good   :   'c'est très bien'

All the best Jan
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Mon Sep 19 2016, 22:53

Thank you Jan. I will have a read of Libby's site. Although I was trying to wean myself off sweeteners as well as sugar; without much success. I am fine with tea sans milk and sugar, but I just cannot take coffee without sweetener, and I don't want to give up my one cup a day.
    Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy making your own soups using my 'multi-recipe!(Go on! I dare you! Very Happy

Cheers,

Wobbly
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 28 2016, 12:52

Thai Pumpkin Soup

soups in winter? - Page 2 Thai-Pumpkin-Soup

Deep orange. Wonderfully spicy, exotic and fragrant. Rich and satisfying. A low carb high fat Thai pumpkin soup for cold, rainy days. And it’s dairy-free, too!

INGREDIENTS:
    Makes 6½ cups
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger root
    2 teaspoons crushed garlic
    2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (The heat of different brands of Thai red curry paste vary in heat, so if unsure add less curry past to start off with. You can always add more later.)
    2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
    2 cups water
    500 g pumpkin cubes, cut smaller (perhaps buy the packets of cubed pumpkin, but to speed up the cooking process, cut each cube into three or four smaller pieces. Choose the brightest orange pumpkin you can get.)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    400 g can coconut cream
    1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    salt to taste
    milled black pepper to taste
    toasted pumpkin seeds to garnish
    chopped chives to garnish
    cayenne pepper to garnish

Please see cooking instructions and more here ...
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/thai-pumpkin-soup-lchf.html

All the best Jan
    sunny
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 01 2016, 18:13

Jan1 wrote:Now this soup is lovely at this time of year ...

soups in winter? - Page 2 DSCF1313_4

It's Roast Red Pepper & Tomato Soup

Ingredients
    Serves Four

3 Deep red peppers, halved & de-seeded.
    1 White onion, unpeeled & halved.
    4 Cloves of garlic, unpeeled.
    2 Sticks of celery, sliced & chopped.
    500g Plum tomatoes.
    450ml Vegetable stock.
    2tbsp Olive oil.
    2tbsp Tomato puree.
    1tbsp Sundried tomato paste.
    1tsp Flaked chilli.
    25g Butter.
    Salt & coarsely ground black pepper

Method:

1. Pre heat oven to 190/gas mark 4. Place the pepper & onion halves (cut side down) along with the plum tomatoes & garlic cloves into a baking tray & drizzle with the olive oil. Bake at the top of your oven for 30 mins or until the vegetables are roasted & tender.
    2. Meanwhile melt down the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and saute the chopped celery for 4-5 mins. Not too hot, don't burn the butter.
    3. Make up the vegetable stock adding the tomato puree, sundried tomato paste & the chilli flakes. Mix well and then add to the sauteed celery. Remove from the heat.
    4. When the baked vegetables are ready remove the peel from the onion & garlic cloves roughly chop them & add them to the pan along with the plum tomatoes. Place back on to a low to medium heat & using a hand blender blend until the soup is smooth.
    5. Season to taste & gently simmer until the soup is at a comfortable edible temperature. Do not allow the soup to boil.

For more details about the benefits of red peppers and link to recipe see here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/red-peppers-good-nutrients-and-great.html

All the best Jan

flower flower flower

I've said it before and I'll say it again ...
    This soup is great at this time of year Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Nov 08 2016, 21:23

soups in winter? - Page 2 Cauliflower-Soup

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

Definitely soup weather at the moment ...

There is nothing so welcoming as a bowl of warm tasting soup and this 'Creamy Cauliflower Soup' is just so easy. It's rich and tasty and an easy option after a busy day at work or play.

Ingredients:
    Serves Two
    3.5g carb per serving
    2 cups Cauliflower flowerettes
    50 g Butter
    ½ cup Cream
    1 Garlic clove
    2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (grated or sliced)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions:
    Boil cauliflower until soft.  Drain cauliflower (put the drained excess water aside) and place in a blender with butter, cream, Parmesan cheese, and garlic . Blend cauliflower etc until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Thin the soup down with excess cauliflower water if you prefer a thinner soup.
    This Creamy Cauliflower Soup can be stored and served for tomorrow's lunch. Note that the carb count is based on 2 serves. If you choose to thin your soup with the excess cauliflower water, the recipe could easily stretch to 3 or 4 servings.

Idea from here
    http://www.jmcphee.com/2015/08/20/low-carb-creamy-cauliflower-soup/

Need help with weight / measurement conversion ... see here
    http://startcooking.com/measurement-and-conversion-charts

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Dec 28 2016, 19:43

Jan1 wrote:
    soups in winter? - Page 2 Brussel-sprout-soup593

Brussels Sprouts and cheddar cheese soup

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    Ready in approx 35 minutes
    7.9g carbohydrate per serving

a splash of olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
    2 medium onions, chopped
    300 g cooked Brussels sprouts
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    650 ml vegetable stock
    4 tbsp single cream
    100 g mature cheddar, grated, plus extra to serve

Yes, another great soup idea from Sainsburys, which you can see here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/brussels-sprouts-and-cheddar-cheese-soup.html

Brrr ... definitely soup weather today, and we still have some Brussels sprouts in the fridge to use up Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 07 2017, 13:45

Parsnip & Cauliflower Soup

soups in winter? - Page 2 Parsnipcauliflower-soup

Just right for the cooler winter months, this lovely warming bowl of parsnip and cauliflower soup.

Ingredients
    Serves Four
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 leek, sliced
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp fennel seeds
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 parsnips, chopped
    1-2 cups vegetable stock/broth
    1 medium or ½ large cauliflower head

For the Roasted Parsnip Toppers
    1-2 parsnips, thinly sliced
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Method
    1. To make the roasted parsnip toppers - preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC / Gas Mark 4 - and line an oven-proof tray with parchment paper.
    2. Place thinly sliced parsnip on oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
    3. For the soup - heat pot over medium heat.
    4. Sauté leek in olive oil until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
    5. Add garlic and fennel seeds, lightly cook until fragrant.
    6. Add in parsnips and season with salt and pepper.
    7. Add broth and bring to a boil and simmer until parsnips are cooked.
    8. Add chopped cauliflower florets, and simmer for another 10-15 minute.
    9. Allow soup to slightly cool, then blend (in blender or food processor) in batches until you have a smooth purée. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
    10. Serve in bowls with crispy parsnip toppers.

I really like the idea of the parsnip toppers  sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Mar 16 2017, 12:10

soups in winter? - Page 2 Kaleandspinachsoup

Kale and Spinach Soup

This is a Vegan style recipe for soup, which I saw on Diet Doctor site, but if you like kale and spinach why not give it a try.

Here are the ingredients :
    Serves Four
    (13 carbs per serving)
    3¼ oz./ 90 g coconut oil
    ½ lb / 225 g kale
    ½ lb / 225 g fresh spinach
    2 avocados
    3 1⁄3 cups / 800 ml coconut milk or coconut cream
    1 cup / 240 ml water
    fresh mint or dried mint (optional)
    1 teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 lime, the juice

Fried kale
    3¼ oz. / 90 g kale
    2 chopped garlic cloves
    1 oz. / 30 g coconut oil
    ½ teaspoon ground cardamom (green)
    salt and pepper

If you don’t like coconut milk you can of course make this soup with heavy (double)  cream or full-fat sour cream, and butter instead of coconut oil. The soup will then be vegetarian, not vegan!

For cooking instructions please use this link here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/vegan-kale-spinach-soup

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 30 2017, 18:24

Spiced Parsnip Soup with Coriander and Chilli Pesto

soups in winter? - Page 2 Spiced-parsnip-soup-

There aren't many things more comforting than a warming mug of creamy soup, and I'm sure this spiced parsnip and pesto one will not let you down. The time of year really lends itself to this recipe suggestion ...  

Ingredients
    Serves Six
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 celery stick, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1kg (2lb) parsnips, chopped
    1.5ltr (2 1/2pt) hot chicken stock
    3 tbsp. soured cream

For the pesto
    1 red chilli or dried chipotle chilli
    50g (2oz) fresh coriander, leaves picked
    15g (1/2oz) Parmesan, grated
    4 tbsp. pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
    4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

Method:
    1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and a little seasoning, and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and ground spices and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
    2. Add the parsnips and stock, bring to the boil, and then simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the parsnips are tender.
    3. Meanwhile, make the pesto. Soak the chipotle chilli (if using) in a little just- boiled water for 15 minutes, or until softened, drain and then roughly chop. Put the chilli (or dried chipotle chilli) in a small blender with the coriander leaves, Parmesan and 2 tbsp. of the pumpkin seeds and pulse a few times to combine. 4. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, season, and whizz until coarsely mixed. Add a little more oil, if necessary, until the desired consistency is reached.
    5. Remove the soup from the heat and whizz with a stick blender until smooth (if it’s too thick, add a little more stock). Stir in the soured cream. Divide the soup between 6 bowls and add a drizzle of the pesto.

Serve with the remaining pumpkin seeds and (optional) how about some warm low carb cheese scones, you can see recipe here
    www.amandasettle.com/low-carb-cheese-scones/

Each serving of soup:
    Carbohydrate 11.7g Protein 7.5g Fibre 9.8g Fat 18.7g
    Soup recipe is from an original idea here
    https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spiced-parsnip-soup-with-coriander-and-chilli-pesto.html

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 11 2017, 13:45

soups in winter? - Page 2 TuscanSoupwithvegetables1

Tuscan-style winter vegetable soup ... so warming

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 celery stick, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 parsnip, chopped
    1 onion, chopped ingredient
    1 leek, white and pale green parts only, sliced and rinsed
    2 tbsp olive oil
    400g tin cannellini beans, drained
    50g (2oz) grated cauliflower
    1.2 litres (2 pints) vegetable stock
    150g (5oz) kale or cavolo nero, shredded
    25g (1oz) Parmesan, finely grated
    3 tbsp green pesto

Method:
    1. In a large saucepan, cook the garlic, celery, carrot, parsnip, onion and leeks gently in the olive oil for 10 minutes. Keep the heat low and stir often, until soft, but not browned.
    2. Stir in the drained cannellini beans and grated cauliflower, followed by the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the beans begin to break down.
    3. Crush some beans with the back of a spoon to further thicken the soup. Stir in the shredded cavolo nero or kale and simmer for a final 5 minutes, adding a little water if it becomes too thick. Stir in half the pesto and half the cheese, dividing the soup between bowls and serving the remaining pesto and cheese on top of each bowlful.

Freezing and defrosting guidelines:
    Make the soup, then leave to cool at room temperature. Freeze (without garnishes or toppings) in a rigid container, leaving a bit of space for expansion, for up to 1-3 months. Reheat either from frozen or defrost in the fridge overnight. Once piping hot, add toppings or garnishes and serve.

Nutrition breakdown from the original recipe idea is:-
    Carbohydrate 32.2g Protein 10.9g Fibre 9.1g Fat 13.1g

Adapted from an original Tesco Real Food recipe here
    https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/tuscan-style-winter-vegetable-soup.html

This is not as low carb as some soups, but you may find it can fit it well with your menu plans ...
    As always, the choice is yours dear reader!

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 02 2018, 23:25

Reading Franziska Spritzler's latest post she writes:

"January is National Soup Month. Soup is a great cold-weather option, but many are surprisingly high in carbs. Fortunately, there are plenty of delicious, nourishing low-carb soups to choose from as well. I found five hearty keto-friendly creations from some of my favourite low-carb culinary wizards. Enjoy!"

Low-Carb Tex Mex Soup from Martina at KetoDiet
    (6.4 grams net carb per serving)

Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup from Meghan and Matt at Keto Connect
    (4 grams net carb per serving)

Chili Relleno Chicken Soup from Carolyn at All Day I Dream About Food

Crockpot Mexican Chicken Soup from Lisa at Low Carb Yum
    (5 grams net carb per serving)

Creamy Reuben Soup from Kyndra at Peace, Love & Low Carb

You can see the links for the soup recipes and more here
    http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/january-2018-low-carb-soup-recipes-presentation-from-dr-laura-saslow-and-my-latest-articles

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 23 2018, 18:30

Wild mushroom soup

This recipe is on Diet Doctor site ...
    It's "warm, creamy, and mushroomy, low-carb soup is comfort food at its finest. Smooth, and oh so satisfying."

You can see the recipe and cooking instructions here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/wild-mushroom-soup

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 27 2018, 12:44

Mixed Vegetable Soup ... so simple !

soups in winter? - Page 2 Mixed-Vegetable-Soupsimple

In the UK, it's definitely soup weather, and there are eight different vegetables in this simple to make, comforting, and health-boosting soup.

Ingredients
    Serves 12
    14g carb per serving

2 tbsp. olive oil
    6 cups shredded cabbage
    4 cups sliced carrots
    3 cups fresh, chopped celery
    1 cup fresh, sliced parsnip
    8 cups (low-sodium) chicken broth
    2 cups chopped zucchini/courgette
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    20 oz. fresh cauliflower florets
    2 chopped tomatoes
    1/2 tsp ground thyme
    2 tbsp. fresh parsley
    1 tsp salt, to taste
    1/2 tsp black pepper, to taste

Method:
    1. In large pan, heat oil over medium. Add cabbage, carrots, celery, and parsnips, and cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
    2. Add broth and bring to boil. Skim any foam from surface.
    3. Add zucchini/courgette, pepper, cauliflower, tomatoes, thyme, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil for 1 minute.
    4. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
    5. Serve hot.

From a recipe idea here
    http://dlife.com/recipes/mixed-vegetable-soup/?utm_source=Educator-20180122&utm_medium=eNewsletter&utm_content=Educator-newsletter&utm_term=Focused&utm_campaign=dLife-eNewsletter

If you should need help with weight/measurement conversion see here
    http://startcooking.com/measurement-and-conversion-charts

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Sep 15 2018, 12:28

Well I know it's not winter yet … but even in these cooler Autumn days a bowl, or mug, of soup does taste great.

I wonder have you a favourite flavour?

I think mine is mushroom - but there are a lot of good lower carb soup recipes available

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 18 2018, 22:36

Back in the day, when mother used to buy packet soups, one of my favourites was salmon and spinach. Now I have the salmon and the spinach without the soup. Then there was chicken noodle (well what did I know?) and lentil and bacon in a can, but like a lot of these processed foods they changed the ingredients and ruined them. I shudder to think what they were made from.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 17 2019, 17:56

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Creamy cheesy comfort in a bowl, low carb, quick and super easy to whip up from scratch. This velvety smooth soup will warm you up from top to toe, satisfaction guaranteed!

Ingredients
    8 servings
    500 g broccoli
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    3 tbsp. butter
    1 red onion, roughly chopped
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    ½ tsp paprika powder
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    500 ml chicken broth or water
    150 ml heavy (double) whipping cream
    100 g (200 ml) cheddar cheese

Instructions can be found here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/broccoli-cheddar-soup

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 22 2019, 18:02

Soup au pistou with walnut pesto : A Bowl of Vegetarian deliciousness !

soups in winter? - Page 2 Vegetarian-soup-au-pistou-walnut-pesto

This is a classic Provençal vegetable soup, with a rich, earthy walnut pesto twist. Perfect for warming up these cooler nights ...

Ingredients:
    Serves Six

For the soup
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 carrot, finely chopped
    1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
    1x 31g pack basil stalks, finely chopped (reserve leaves for pesto)
    3 garlic whole cloves
    1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
    200g (7oz) spinach, chopped
    1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, washed and drained
    1 1/4l (2 pints) good quality vegetable stock

For the walnut pesto
    50g (2oz) walnuts, chopped
    large bunch basil leaves reserved from soup
    40g Parmesan
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    125ml (4fl oz.) mild olive oil
    1 tsp sea salt

Method:
    1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onion, carrot, celery and fennel. Cook for 5-6 minutes over a low heat until starting to soften. Add the garlic and basil stalks and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes, spinach, cannellini beans and when the spinach has wilted, season with salt and pepper and add the stock. Mix well and bring to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes.

2. While the soup is cooking, prepare the pesto. Put the walnuts, basil, Parmesan and garlic into a food processor and whizz for 10 seconds or until nearly smooth. Add the salt and whizz again, gradually drizzling in the oil until it is all combined. Season to taste.

3. Once the soup is done, ladle into 6 bowls and drizzle the pesto on top of each one.

Per serving:
    Carbohydrate 2.9g Protein 10.1g Fibre 1.2g Fat 14.2g
    From an original idea here
    https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/soup-au-pistou-with-walnut-pesto.html

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 28 2019, 12:02

Just in case you may be looking for some soup ideas, have a look through the posts on this thread.
    Scroll back over the pages and see if you may like to give one of the recipes a try  Smile 

Enjoy your day, and your soup  sunny 

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 23 2019, 19:04

Autumn is a wonderful time for soups, especially if you are experiencing dull, wet grey days!

Here is a recipe suggestion for, Asparagus and Spinach Soup topped with chive crème fraîche …

soups in winter? - Page 2 Asparagusandspinachsoup

This asparagus and spinach soup topped with chive crème fraîche is a gorgeous soup with a fantastic colour and very good for you! It’s also great to make in advance ...

Prep: 10 mins
    Cook: 15-20 mins
    Serves 4

Ingredients:
    12 asparagus spears
    1 tsp olive oil
    50g unsalted butter
    1 medium white onion diced
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    800ml vegetable stock
    100g spinach
    4 tbsp. crème fraîche
    2 tbsp. freshly chopped chives

Method:
    Prepare the asparagus by removing the hard stems (keep four of the asparagus heads for garnishing the soup), then finely chop the rest.

Place a saucepan on the heat, add a little olive oil and the butter, then add the diced onion and garlic sweat for 5 minutes on a low heat.

Now add the chopped asparagus and continue to sweat for another couple of minutes. Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the spinach to the soup and simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and put into a blender and blitz in batches.

Once the soup is blended, strain through a sieve to remove any lumps. Mix the crème fraîche with the chopped chives and a touch of salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, pour the hot soup into a bowl, add a spoonful of the chive crème fraîche and top with a reserved asparagus head.

I hope you enjoy, this recipe idea, seen here
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/recipes/how-to-make-asparagus-and-spinach-soup-topped-with-chive-crème-fraîche/ar-AAHlgUK?ocid=spartanntp

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 03:09